ISO tips/advice roasting boneless shoulder pork

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rong1

Assistant Cook
I wish to roast TWO boneless shoulder pork roasts each weighing approx 2.2kg.
I have a large baking tray and want to put the two roasts side by side in the oven. Do I add the two weights together to calculate the cooking time?

I wish to roast TWO boneless shoulder pork roasts each weighing approx 2.2kg.
I have a large baking tray and want to put the two roasts side by side in the oven. Do I add the two weights together to calculate the cooking time?

I want to say no. I would put them in separate smaller pans. Just leave enough space between them for the heat to circulate around each of them. Or you could place one of the bottom rack on the left side and the other on the top rack on the right side. But the heat must be able to circulate around both pans. That way both of them can cook for the very same length of time.

And welcome to DC. This is a fun place to be. Full of knowledge and laughter. An answer for every question. :angel:

Last edited:
Do I cook them as a 2.2kg weight or a 4.4 kg?

I am not familiar with that kind of weighing. What are your roasts in pounds? Perhaps one of our Canadian member can answer better than I. It is still early in the morning, so someone will come on later to answer you. :angel:

The roasts are almost 5 pounds each. Should I cook them as per a 5 pound roast or, because there's two in the oven, as a 10 pound roast? Sorry to confuse you, I thought the world went to metric measurements.

The roasts are almost 5 pounds each. Should I cook them as per a 5 pound roast or, because there's two in the oven, as a 10 pound roast? Sorry to confuse you, I thought the world went to metric measurements.

I would cook them as a five pound roast if you are cooking them separate. They are separate roasts and should be treated as such. If they were one big roast, then you would go with that poundage. Just make sure there is room for the heat to circulate around each one individually. They should both be done at the same time. Good luck and happy eating.

They tried to convert the U.S. to metric many years ago. It lasted about two months and the government gave up and decided to leave well enough alone. A matter of trying to teach a country of old dogs new tricks. :angel:

Here in Australia we firstly converted to decimal currency (to dollars & cents from Pounds, shillings and pence) back in 1966. Then the remainder followed a few years later, with weights in the kilogram scale, distance in the kilometre scale, fluids in litres, area in hectares, temperature in Celsius scale. So much simpler, everything in a base 100 system. Thanks for your help, have a great Christmas. We'll be by the pool having a quiet beer enjoying summer. Cheers!

Here in Australia we firstly converted to decimal currency (to dollars & cents from Pounds, shillings and pence) back in 1966. Then the remainder followed a few years later, with weights in the kilogram scale, distance in the kilometre scale, fluids in litres, area in hectares, temperature in Celsius scale. So much simpler, everything in a base 100 system. Thanks for your help, have a great Christmas. We'll be by the pool having a quiet beer enjoying summer. Cheers!

You have a great Christmas also. And don't forget to come back. We have a lot of folks from Australia. I thought you were from our state of Washington. The postal abbreviation for it is WA. What does it stand for in Aussie land? :angel:

WA is the state of Western Australia. I'm in a suburb named Woodlands which is not far from the state's capital city Perth. Google Earth is a great way to travel without leaving home. I'm two blocks away from Jackadder Lake. Enjoy

Cook them together as one. Use a thermometer to check for the internal temp.
Do they still have the skin on them?
If so roast until crispy, or remove the skin and continue to roast it until it gets crispy.
To me this skin with fat crispy is the very best part.
I also would prefer bone in for pork roast. Bone in with skin attached.

If so roast until crispy, or remove the skin and continue to roast it until it gets crispy.

I am a bit confused. Are you suggesting that she place them one against the other so that they are one piece? That way they both will have a bare side that will not have any crispiness to it. Which one would you use the thermometer on if they are one? Both the roasts are boneless. To late for a bone in roast. :angel:

Surely you must mean fat attached, not skin. ;) There's no need to use two pans, as long as the roasts aren't touching. If he wants to slice it, boneless is much better than bone in. For slicing a boneless pork shoulder it should be tied.

Last edited:
I would calculate time per pound per joint. ie. 20mins per pound for pork at 200c + 20 mins extra for safety. Also, if you are cooking in one big pan then i would turn them around half way though so that the inside sides are now on the outside towards the pan edges, does that make sense? Push a skewer through the middle of each and check that the juices run clear. If in doubt, and you don't have a thermometer, make a cheeky little cut into the meat and peer in to see if there is still raw flesh, you can always cook it a bit longer.
Hope this helps. Have a good one!

I am a bit confused. Are you suggesting that she place them one against the other so that they are one piece? That way they both will have a bare side that will not have any crispiness to it. Which one would you use the thermometer on if they are one? Both the roasts are boneless. To late for a bone in roast. :angel:

No. My suggestion is to cook both at once in the oven, at the same temperature and time it as one roast. Use a instant read to verify its done.

Surely you must mean fat attached, not skin. ;) There's no need to use two pans, as long as the roasts aren't touching. If he wants to slice it, boneless is much better than bone in. For slicing a boneless pork shoulder it should be tied.

Yes, skin with attached fat. As its delivered from the processor.
Chicharones are the result of roasting the pork roast until the skin is crispy.
Most pork unless its been removed, has the skin and fat still attached.
I have never seen a pig skinned, unless it was a wild boar.
And bone in shoulder roast is a fresh ham. Shoulder portion.
Many cured hams haves the skin trimmed off, unlike fresh hams.

I would cook them according to their individual weight. Can be on the same tray as long as the air can circulate around them. W

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom