"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,841
Scammers

Dear forum members and administrators.

I received an email this morning supposedly from this site. It was in reference to the "private messaging" feature.
It looked as if someone had sent me a PM from this site. But being cautious, I came here to check the PM and there was no PM for me.

I have not deleted this email yet or clicked on any of the links included in the email. I will keep it in case the administrators here might want to see it, or the members may want to see it.
I can copy and post it, if needed.

It is a scam. That is for sure. A relative has passed and 1 million dollars is at stake and that I should contact a reverend in regards to getting the money.
Since they are using "Discuss Cooking" as the vehicle, I am certain you guys and gals would want to know.
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
It sounds like something has infiltrated the area where the forum members' email addresses are stored.
Is it from a registered forum member?
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Dear forum members and administrators.

I received an email this morning supposedly from this site. It was in reference to the "private messaging" feature.
It looked as if someone had sent me a PM from this site. But being cautious, I came here to check the PM and there was no PM for me.

I have not deleted this email yet or clicked on any of the links included in the email. I will keep it in case the administrators here might want to see it, or the members may want to see it.
I can copy and post it, if needed.

It is a scam. That is for sure. A relative has passed and 1 million dollars is at stake and that I should contact a reverend in regards to getting the money.
Since they are using "Discuss Cooking" as the vehicle, I am certain you guys and gals would want to know.
yeah,looks like quite a few of us had the same email.i bounced it on to .40,frankz,pf etc & they have dealt with it.there was also a post on a few of the forum's about fake id,green cards etc etc,this morning.they've been dealt with too.can't believe that the scammers think that people would fall for it...but i guess some do & that's why the scammers do it!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
It sounds like something has infiltrated the area where the forum members' email addresses are stored.
Is it from a registered forum member?
it was.it was from someone called revc.i'll bounce mine on to you pac.just in case you were feeling left out mate!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,158
We are aware of the situation and have taken care of it. And, yes, it was a scam.
__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
So no one is getting any money?
lol
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #7
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
It sounds like something has infiltrated the area where the forum members' email addresses are stored.
Is it from a registered forum member?
don't think they've hacked into the members emails pac.i think rb means that he had received the usual email,notifying him that he had received a pm,on dc.
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:12 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
So no one is getting any money?
lol
Not unless you let the Nigerian Prince use your bank account to store tens of millions of dollars...
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Executive Chef
 
Harry Cobean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Manchester UK
Posts: 2,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Not unless you let the Nigerian Prince use your bank account to store tens of millions of dollars...
.....and borrow your credit cards,mind you he does that anyway.just wish he'd ask first.............!!
__________________
I spent a lot of money on booze,birds & fast cars.The rest I just squandered.
Harry Cobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
don't think they've hacked into the members emails pac.i think rb means that he had received the usual email,notifying him that he had received a pm,on dc.
Yes, that is correct Harry. But they have the email addresses to be able to send one to me and the others.
Are you saying they hacked the PM feature on this forum, but do not have our emails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
We are aware of the situation and have taken care of it. And, yes, it was a scam.
Once again. Do they have our email addresses, or did they circumvent the PM feature here on this forum to send out bogus PM reminders?

I am not personally concerned about falling for the scam, but I am concerned that they may indeed have my email address.
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.