"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Site Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Andy R Send a message via AIM to Andy R Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Yahoo to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Exclamation Server move tonight (11-16-2006)

I am going to try and move the site to a new server tonight. I am pretty sure it will be very quick and successful. So please be aware that the site will be down somewhere after 8:00 EST and hopefully back up on our new "faster" server within a couple of hours. I will post updates in this thread (so I am closing the thread for now and will re-open the thread after for troubleshooting and feedback).

Old 11-16-2006, 10:34 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Site Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Andy R Send a message via AIM to Andy R Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Yahoo to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
We are now live on our new server and need your help! Please post here any errors that you may find (hopefully none). Also, it would be beneficial if you could post any feedback on the performance (speed) of the site so we can tell if it is running swiftly (as it should be).

Thanks again for your feedback!!!

Old 11-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Very cool Andy - I will check around and see how everything is working!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 11-16-2006, 11:04 PM   #4
Head Chef

Haven't done anything fancy but read, search, and post all seem smooth and fast. Thanks for all you do.

Edit: I went back and re-read some of my old posts and they don't seem any smarter and my punctuation hasn't improved a bit.

Edit also works faster than I remember.

Old 11-16-2006, 11:17 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
Oh my gosh! I can't believe how addicted I am to this forum! I realize that it's free & I shouldn't complain but I get so frustrated when I can't get here. I'm online every night, doing this & that. I save Discuss Cooking for last & just kinda settle in here before I go to bed. When I can't I get so beside myself & don't know what to do.

Thank you for all you do, Andy. I hope this server is totally stable, faster or not!

Corinne
Old 11-16-2006, 11:31 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thanks, Andy, for your diligence and hard work. It's appreciated. Kudos to you.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:06 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy,
everything is running quicker and smoother..The only thing I can't find is on the forum listing page beneath who has visited in the last 24 hours and the new member list,it use to have the today's birthdays..There is one on the portal page..Is this where birthdays are to be listed now?..It's a small thing but just was asked about it and wanted to check.
Thank you for all you do for us. We have a beautiful site.

kadesma
Old 11-17-2006, 01:06 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
Phew, thought I busted DC earlier this evening. LoL (my computer has been running slow)

Thanks Andy. BTW, didn't we have a server move about a month ago?
Old 11-17-2006, 06:44 AM   #9
Sous Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossie
Thanks Andy. BTW, didn't we have a server move about a month ago?
The server move about a month ago was aborted because I had problems with the database transfer. So we setup a new plan an it worked 95% as planned. We hit a glitch and it took a couple hours longer then anticipated but now we are all moved over and this should be our new home for some time to come. I can't promise for how long we will stay on this server as we are growing really fast, but it should be at least 6 months ;)

It's hard to belive we can keep growing with so many nice and knowledgeable members. Did anyone guess when we would hit 10,000? Heck, at this rate it might happen before the end of the month!
Old 11-17-2006, 06:47 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
The only thing I can't find is on the forum listing page beneath who has visited in the last 24 hours and the new member list,it use to have the today's birthdays..There is one on the portal page..Is this where birthdays are to be listed now?
They are still on the forum listing page. It looks like there are three birthdays today.

But I can add an extra special birthday to today's list. My sister had a whopping 9 pound baby Girl just after mid-night EST. I don't know what her name is yet (my Mom left me a message while I was asleep) and will get to see her for the first time when I am back in the States around Christmas. So happy birthday to my first niece!!!