"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 01-15-2006, 04:42 PM   #21
Chief Eating Officer

My pleasure!

Old 01-15-2006, 06:09 PM   #22
Sous Chef

Site Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Andy R Send a message via AIM to Andy R Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Yahoo to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Our communtiy is participating in a beta advertising program. The new ad formats are called intermission ads and basically once per day you are shown a website. User experience is a top priority. Intermission Ads are never shown to a user on their first visit to a site, and are never shown to the same user more than once per 24-hours. It is easy to instantly close an Intermission, should the user choose to.

This next week we will install a system to that will prevent these ads from showing based on various metrics. The goal is to not show these ads to the members that meet certain requirements as far as contributing to the community. Look for an updated announcement on that towards mid-week...

Please post your comments and concerns to this discussion.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:55 PM   #23
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R
This next week we will install a system to that will prevent these ads from showing based on various metrics. The goal is to not show these ads to the members that meet certain requirements as far as contributing to the community. Look for an updated announcement on that towards mid-week...

Andy,

I don't like that one bit. I don't participate here very often. As far as sending these pop-ups (or whatever they are) to people who don't meet certain requirements as far as contributing to the community is just not right. Why have these ads in the first place? What do the members benefit from these ads?
Old 01-15-2006, 07:30 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R
Our communtiy is participating in a beta advertising program. The new ad formats are called intermission ads and basically once per day you are shown a website. User experience is a top priority. Intermission Ads are never shown to a user on their first visit to a site, and are never shown to the same user more than once per 24-hours. It is easy to instantly close an Intermission, should the user choose to.

Would have been nice to have the "heads up" on "our community" in the beta advertising. Wow, I dont like this idea at all Andy. I've been here for quite some time, but to base this on user experience is against my grain. That would exclude new users, as well as put off older members I would think.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:36 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I haven't seen it happen yet...but... I guess I don't really mind. If it's just one button that I have to push to get back to the important DC stuff. Even if the new folks have to push one extra button a day...is it that big of a deal??

Just my opinion.
smiles, Trish
Old 01-15-2006, 08:04 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Yea, I understand it is really no big deal to just push the back button. To me it's just the principle of the matter. One of the reasons I decided to participate in this forum is because I spent time checking it out without my pop-up blocker on. The way I see it, if there are no pop-ups happening the owner(s) of the site are really only into the site for the information and not for making money. I know it costs money to run a site but that's why this site has strategicly placed Google ads which don't intrude in any way with my surfing.

I'm not going to leave DC just because of some beta testing or some remote ads once every day. In essecne it really doesn't bother me. Like I said... It's just the principle. Also, not knowing of the impending situation ahead of time kinda sucks, too.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #27
Executive Chef

I've had it happen twice to me, once just now, and once last night. I'm using Opera v8.51, build 7712, on a Win32 platform running Windows XP Home edition.

Like many others, I would have preferred a head's-up about this.

I would like to point out to everyone else, that advertising is probably one of the biggest driving forces behind the internet.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:46 PM   #28
Head Chef

It feels like the worst kind of underhandedness to kick me over there when I click on the "New Posts" button from this board. So I very much mind being sent to a completely different advertising website.

I choose where I want to surf; I am totally against being blindly forced onto a completely different site without warning and at your whim.

Zereh
Old 01-15-2006, 11:59 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

so long as it is only once a day at most, i'm ok with it. i mean, this is a community per se, but it exists at a cost, and is a possible profit making enterprise as well by those who own/run it. dat's just the cold facts.

other foodie sites attack you with these ads which fly under pop up blockers and spyware radars every time you open certain pages. it gets really annoying. it's a large part of the reason i don't go to those sites much anymore.
recipe sites are a dime a dozen nowadays, so i would think it would behoove this site not to drive off potential new contributors by making them see ads more often than anyone else. the community, in other words "us", are the main attraction, imo.
and we need a constant supply of new blood....
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 12:02 AM   #30
Hospitality Queen

I just scrolled up and the first few posts were covered by the social network. Not like a popup, but like it was eating up the posts......

anyone have a big fly swatter?