"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 01-16-2006, 04:11 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R
It is easy to instantly close an Intermission, should the user choose to.
And how? When I read this posts it seems to me there are not so much possibilities to shut that down... except for closing the browser... or hitting the back button..
I must say, I'm glad, this doesn't happen to me (yet?).. it woul be very annoying...

LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:37 AM   #32
Master Chef

There is not x out as with a whole new window, it just covers the DC page. You have to close out DC and it still comes back until you shut down the internet and log back on. I don't like it at all. BUT, if that is what I have to deal with for DC to stay alive, I will do it.

Old 01-16-2006, 07:41 AM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
so long as it is only once a day at most, i'm ok with it. i mean, this is a community per se, but it exists at a cost, and is a possible profit making enterprise as well by those who own/run it. dat's just the cold facts.
Isn't that why there is a Google ad bar and a rotating banner ad at the top of the screen as well as other hotlinks at the botttom of every page? Don't those generate enough money to keep this site running without having to resort to this darn window pop-up whatever?
Old 01-16-2006, 02:21 PM   #34
Sous Chef

Site Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Andy R Send a message via AIM to Andy R Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Yahoo to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
The intermission ad has been removed. It was only a webpage that was NOT malicious. Your feedback (kind and not-so-kind) is appreciated. We will be studying various ways to offer advertisers ways to reach our membership.

In this case, it was setup as a network wide setup that helps attract advertisers because of the size of the network as a whole (75,000 members) but it is obvious that we need to keep all advertisements specifically related to each forum communtiy.

Many thanks to those of you who patiently waited for us to beta this product and kept your cool during the last 3 days. In all we served less then 800 intermission ads over the last 72 hours. That is not much when compared to 16,000 - 18,000 pages of information viewed each day.

The long term plan is to show the most ads to visitors and guests as they are not contributing to the community. As a member posts more, earns more karma, does not get warnings, etc then less ads will be shown. That is much harder to implement then it sounds. Please understand that is our goal and be patient as we work towards that.

Just like in this last beta test of the intermission ads, we need your feedback to help our community evolve.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:55 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Thank you Andy.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #36
Master Chef

Andy, I'm sorry that you didn't get all positive feedback. If you could warn us next time that you are going to do this, it won't come as such a shock and freak us all out. I understand that it takes things like this to keep us going for free and I appologize for any rudeness. I never thought that it was malicious in anyway. I really just thought that the server was overlapping another page somehow, at first. You do a great job with this site and I don't want to see anything happen to it. Thanks Andy!
Old 01-16-2006, 04:09 PM   #37
Executive Chef

Thanks from me, too. I just had no idea what was happening. I was afraid some alien force had overtaken either me or my computer. Hope I didn't offend you.
Old 01-16-2006, 04:14 PM   #38
Master Chef

In my opnion most peole thought they got some virus or adware installed on their computer.. so you better let us know next time and everyone will be relaxed
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Exactly, I think most of us thought it could have been a virus, or something like that. A heads up would have been fine with me so I would know what I was dealing with. Thanks for your effort to bring us a quality site. Much appreciated.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:25 PM   #40
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy,
while I didn't expierience the intermission ad, I would have gladly done so, if I'd know the reason for it..Having been on a forum where the main goal of a group of people was to see what mischeif they could cause each day, I left that site and didn't touch a computer for almost ten years. Then I happened on DC..It took me several weeks to see that here I could visit and not be afraid of being shot down or yelled at..On that note, I'd gladly do anything I could to help keep DC the wonderful palce it is.
A hey gang heads up, we'd like to try this to improve our site, would have been just the thing. I bet all of us would have been more that willing to help..We appreiciate all that you and the modrators and site helpers and administrators do for us and would like to give back to you in any way we can.
kadesma