Software Upgrade - Community Downtime (2/25 - 2/27)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
buckytom said:
ok, i'll go first, if elfie would stop dancing on my feet! :D

what is a user subscription service, and a member karma system?

Have the same questions.

amber said:
buckytom said:
ok, i'll go first, if elfie would stop dancing on my feet! :D

what is a user subscription service, and a member karma system?

Have the same questions.

No edit function on here, so I wanted to add beside that function missing, user subscription service ( a fee to use this site?)

The subscription service is the ability to subscribe to topis and be notified when posts are made. In vBulletin the system shows you all the threads you are subscribed to inside the member control panel.

You can choose to get one email per day, one per week, etc. for your subscriptions rather then an email each time one has activity (posts).

So basically it is a more robust system to manage what you want notifications about...

The karma system is will not be rolled out right away. It takes some time to setup and tune the system to fit our community. Basically it works on a system where members earn "karma power" by the number of posts they have, how long they have been a member, the amount of karma they have earned etc. The exact equation how karma power is earned might be published, but we might have to keep it a secret so members don't try and work the system just to earn more power.

You get karma by others rewarding good posts, etc. It's a way to promote those who contribute in a positive way. I'll try and think of some fun things to do with karma like the ability to trade them in for a custom user title, more private message space, a bigger avatar and maybe even some t-shirts at some point.

I have some other fun ideas but I hve to keep some of them private to so I can announce cool new stuff later too! right?

amber - you are right about the no functions for members in this forum - it's just not worth going and doing for no longer than it will be up and running.

Andy - I love the idea of getting e-mails once a day or once a week, etc. My inbox can really get bogged down - especially when we are playing a game!! ;)

Thanks so much for the explanations.

DampCharcoal said:
"Karma Power?" :LOL: This a joke, right? Points for being positive? Andy, you don't understand Karma, do you?
Well the system also allows for giving negative karma also, but I have seen that abused, so I don't see the benefit of the negaitve karma.

MJ said:
Hungry said:
Would you name us a site that is running the "vBulletin" format?
I am a member at this site that is powered by vBulletin and I love it!
http://www.airstreamforums.com/forums/

MJ
I looked at your Airstream forum. Thank's, that gives me an idea of what the "vbulletin" looks like. In fact it's the same as the: http://forums.chef2chef.net/
I don't subscribe to the "Chef2" page, but I lurk there a lot.
It has a lot of nice features and TONS of information.

Charlie

Your welcome Charlie. vBulletin is so much better. I can't wait! :D

Andy,

I do not like the idea of “KARMA”.

1. Firstly, there is a distinct risk that it will increase the noise in the forum. (Id Em,
the operation of Gresham’s Law). You may find that there will be a large number of
posts without any content whatsoever, from people who are trying to earn enough
points for “a larger Avatar” etc. The good posts will be buried by this noise, people
who come to the forum will find it vacuous and without content and go away.

Now, I am not saying that that will definitely happen, but I have seen that happen in
other forums.

2. If every post is going to be voted on by viewers, this will discourage some people
who may have something valuable to say but are not as thick skinned as others, and
fear loss of self esteem.

This is fundamentally a self help forum. By turning it into a court of judgement, you
risk loosing all that it has become in such a short time, and shutting out people who
have a different, positive, but perhaps unpopular approach.

Additionally, many people may actually benefit from a post, without responding to it
in any way, logging in or being a member of the forum. How do you intend to
measure that?

3. “members earn "karma power" by.....the amount of karma they have earned”. This
sound tautologous to me.

4. “we might have to keep it a secret so members don't try and work the system just to
earn more power”. Res ipsa loquitor.

5. In my opinion, you would be well advised to abandon the “Karma thing”. As
Americans have been known to say; “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

Regards,

Darkstream yes we do sometimes say thing like if it is is not broke then don't fix it, but that does not really apply here. What Andy is trying to do is improve the site. He has a lot of great ideas and he has the members of this community at the foremost of his thoughts when suggesting new changes. The great thing is that none of the changes are carved in stone. If we try something and it is an obvious failure then we can always go back to the way it was if that is in the best interest of the board.

I, for one, am very excited to see how this Karma thing will work. I see a lot of potential in it if it works well.By nature I am a glass half full kind of guy. I respect your hesitations though.

DampCharcoal said:
Thanks, GB. Darkstream, you broke the three syllable rule, that's 5 minutes in the penalty box.

Yeah and you made my have to use my brain. That is worth at least another 5 minutes in the box :shock:

This weekend... well, I guess I'll be coming home to a new and better version of this place! That'll be exciting!!

Can't wait to see all the changes.

A photo album will be fun. ( not that I'll post
any of ME!!! but, I'm really interested in knowing what
you'll look like.) I like putting names with faces.

See ya,
Trish :D :D :D :D :D :D

Uh-Oh! (am I gonna get "Banned"? (I haven't "Posted" much lately, But I Vote Daily /or nightly, as the case may be. and read others Post's (Vote! 5 Stars! For DC!!!!!! :D Atomic Jed!

Back
Top Bottom