"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 06-20-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
Head Chef

Sorta off topic. About Chrome's latest update

It's not a big deal, but I'd thought I'd ask here since many of you are just as knowledgeable as the posters on Google's forum.

Google Chromes new update. Before the recent update that deals with tabs, when I right clicked on any toolbar sticky and choose "Open in New tab",
Google Chrome would open that page in front of me. Now it wants me to click on the tab it just created. I'm too lazy for that. How do I make "Open in new tab" bring up that new page right in front of me, not a tab I have to mouse over and click.

I looked in my Googles Chrome "tools" and don't see the option to have a new tab open in front of me. As of now, it just brings up the new tab I must click on. See how lazy spoiled I've gotten? Before the recent update, Chrome would open up that new tab page right up front on my desktop. Now it just makes a tab I have to mouse on and click.

Am I spoiled lazy?

Old 06-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Caslon, you really ought to try out Firefox. It's got so much more.

I have several tabs I get to open automatically including my Google homepage, Yahoo (my email), and Discuss Cooking. My tabs are colored for me (my choice) and the add ons include a wonderful Reminder(Fox) that let me know what I have going on for today.

I'll never go back to IE, and Chrome didn't impress me at all.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
Head Chef

Chrome is losing its charm with me as well. I began using it when FF was blocked at work. But Google just doesn't seem to be able to mature it. Options and settings are limited. It tends to be slow and can get slower. It is not well supported by many web sites, this one included. I suspect I will soon be going back to FF, my browser for many years, having moved over from Netscape as it began to stagnate. After giving Chrome a goodly time to prove itself, I just don't see enough virtue to stay with it. There are chronic problems that Google just doesn't seem able to fix. And Chrome might as well just make the Shockwave Flash Has Crashed banner a permanent display. It's very strange. Google is so large, and they can't get a browser right.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:17 AM   #4
Head Chef

I may go FF as well. Apparently FF has improved itself from the FF I knew 5 years ago when Chrome appeared. Chrome was fast and lean compared to FF back then. I mean...lol...there was a speed up ap for FF that did zilch. FF was slow back then, but the new Chrome was fast. Apparently , FF has caught up in the past 5 years since I last used FF.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I really like FF, wish I could get it on my computer at work.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:10 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Try it Caslon. It doesn't replace your IE, it stands alone. When (if) you do, you'll need a couple of add ons.

You need to add PlainOldFavorites unless you want to start using Bookmarks.

AdBlockPlus is super good at removing those nasty popups and jiggly ads. I haven't seen an ad in months, and if you do, you can block it so it will never bother you again.

Another one I really like is ReminderFox. It gives me the option of having a popup for appointments or that a bill is due.

I really like the feature of keeping my favorite sites always handy. Right click on the tab and select "Pin as App Tab" The tab get's small and shows an icon and all of them come up every time you open FireFox.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I've used FF for years, and Mozilla/Netscape/etc. before that.

I would have replied sooner and suggested switching to FF but I've found that proselytizing people to switch browsers has been rather unrewarding.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I love chrome because it was quick and light, but about 9 months ago I switched back to FireFox because all of a sudden certain websites didn't perform correctly. Firefox is excellent now, and it is pretty much all I use.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:21 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
about 9 months ago I switched back to FireFox because all of a sudden certain websites didn't perform correctly.
It blows my mind that a company as resourceful as Google had trouble with their browser displaying sites properly.

In Chromes defense, they've improved that annoyance recently. I'm gonna give Chrome a little more time to get their act together, but not much. I still like the lean machine that Chrome was/is.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Caslon, you really ought to try out Firefox. It's got so much more.

I have several tabs I get to open automatically including my Google homepage, Yahoo (my email), and Discuss Cooking. My tabs are colored for me (my choice) and the add ons include a wonderful Reminder(Fox) that let me know what I have going on for today.

I'll never go back to IE, and Chrome didn't impress me at all.
What does FF have more? Don't confuse Chrome and IE.