Spell Checker Function

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Just a reminder to all members that there is a spell checking function available in the Reply message box. It's in the upper right corner of the message box.

All you have to do is click on the Check Spelling icon after typing a reply and it will review your reply for errors and suggest corrections just as in other software such as MS Word and others. After spell checking, you can post the reply in the same manner.

Give it a try. You too can have posts free of those pesky spelling errors that plague our posts.

I didn't know there was anything to click on, mine just underlines in red words that I misspeel, LOL. I did notice though that a lot of cooking terms don't seem to show up as understood by the program. Like au gratin or thai for example, but I just click on 'add to dictionary' and it recognizes them.
Just have to make sure I actually spelled it right before doing that! ;) jalepeno is one that I have not figured out how to spell right the first time ever, and unless I get it very close the first time, the program can't even give me a suggestion on spelling.
Spelled as above I get suggestions such as dependable, dependably, penologist, penologies, and penology's.
Was there something I turned on that made it available automatically?

Well that is good, cause in the upper right hand corner of my reply box is a button to switch editor modes, I can't find a button to spell check anywhere.

Seems to me Firefox is restricting your freedom to use any spell checker and forcing their's down your throat. Sonds very Microsoft-like to me.

You would think so, but Firefox gives you the option to use their superior spell checker or turn it off so that you are able to use other spell checkers if you so desire. Of course no Firefox user would ever want to turn it off since it works so well and is so easy to use.

You would think so, but Firefox gives you the option to use their superior spell checker or turn it off so that you are able to use other spell checkers if you so desire. Of course no Firefox user would ever want to turn it off since it works so well and is so easy to use.

I use firefox and, as you say GB, it underlines the spelling mistakes but I use the spell check from my Google tool bar which does not pick some of them up. I use Google mainly because I was using it before I went to firefox and it's become habit and We spell quiet a few words differently than you do in the US and Google give the AU version

Having said that I have never tried firefox spell check to see if it would give me the Australian spelling.

I believe you can choose different libraries for the Firefox spell checker so AU would be an option I am sure.

After typing your reply, you should click on the spell check icon. That's the icon with the ABC and the check mark. Then a little window will appear with the first misspelled word and offer you the opportunity to fix it. That repeats until all the misspelled words are corrected. If there are no spelling errors, a window pops up stating that spell check is complete.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom