"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 03-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #11
Senior Cook

At present I would guess that 99.5 % of the forum members are US based or are US personnel/background.

If the new format increases membership, you may find more "international" foodies coming here. It might be an idea to consider future sub forums by country as in e-gullet. That could increase membership and information, while lowering the overall noise level (ie keeping irrelevant or "local" posts out of the main forum).

I would also like to see a section for off topic chat/current events that is NOT part of a jokes forum. I have been caught out more than once by the present mix!

Old 03-07-2005, 08:02 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Darkstream, if DiscussCooking ever resembles E-Gullet in any way, I'm outta here.

Old 03-07-2005, 08:46 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to masteraznchefjr
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
Darkstream, if DiscussCooking ever resembles E-Gullet in any way, I'm outta here.
i agree lol egullet is too confusing and complex
masteraznchefjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 10:08 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Quote:
Originally Posted by masteraznchefjr
i agree lol egullet is too confusing and complex

What is egullet?

Never mind.. I found it. The first post I found
had more swear words than I've heard in a long time.

I don't think I'll be going back.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:19 AM   #15
Senior Cook

The suggestion was for possibly national sub forums.

The suggestion was not to make the community into a pale reflection of e gullet. I do not spend much if any time there. I consider it elitist, while I consider that this forum is by and large friendly and helpful.

THAT is the suggestion.

Hope this clarifies matters.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:01 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I have to say that, as a 'foreigner', I feel very much in the minority here. 8)

The different style of cooking in many of the posts here is really interesting to read - but I have to be honest and say that I wouldn't cook many of the dishes, particularly as I'm a total eejit about 'conversions' from cup measurements to metric or Imperial 8-) But then again, I don't think many of the Americans here are interested in my Scots/British recipes, either!

I really like the mix here. I like the 'American' style of cooking shown, which appears to be a hotch-potch of different cuisines. Here in Europe we are much more 'European-centric' in our cooking habits - I mean, I cook and eat French, Italian, Spanish, Greek and mid-East food a lot (all relatively 'near' to the UK, and holidays/work time spent in those countries makes me hungry to learn more about 'their' cuisines!)
Old 03-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

i am interested in your recipes ishbel, and i think i can speak for many of us here on this (calling audeo!!! come in audeo.). i agree that a more international site would be great (uh oh, something's up. i am agreeing with darkstream way too much today...:) ). in fact, to me, the more of a minority here you are, the more i am interested. you will probably have insights and ideas that are totally new and foreign to me, piqueing my curiosity. the same is true with all of you from rome, paris, norris, london, and other wild untamed places of my imagination...

the differenter you are, the more you have to offer my mundane existence.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:48 AM   #18
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
and other wild untamed places of my imagination...
Buckytom, are you talking about Detroit again?? :p

John
Old 03-08-2005, 09:59 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
Buckytom, are you talking about Detroit again?? :p

John
Or the Joisey Turnpike?
Old 03-08-2005, 10:03 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i am interested in your recipes ishbel, and i think i can speak for many of us here on this (calling audeo!!! come in audeo.). i agree that a more international site would be great (uh oh, something's up. i am agreeing with darkstream way too much today...:) ). in fact, to me, the more of a minority here you are, the more i am interested. you will probably have insights and ideas that are totally new and foreign to me, piqueing my curiosity. the same is true with all of you from rome, paris, norris, london, and other wild untamed places of my imagination...

the differenter you are, the more you have to offer my mundane existence.
BuckyTom
I hope you don't think I was fishing for compliments here?!!!

I don't feel in the least unwelcome here, and wouldn't want anyone to think I was harbouring such feelings - but, very few people seem to read my recipes, never mind comment upon them!!! (Not you, Alix, Audeo and a couple of others - I KNOW you have read and commented!) Dif'rnt strokes for dif'rnt folks might be an appropriate Americanism to use here?

PS - In your list of exotic places you list one I've never heard of: where's Norris? :p 8)