Thanks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The notifications should be working now and those still using the old skin should also see a button.

If you DON'T want to receive a PM notification when you are thanked, you can change this setting in your user CP under edit options.

Thanks for being patient :)

Karma with a new name........

That's what I would call it, too. It certainly seems to work in the same way and I don't see how it's going to save bandwidth. The people who post are still going to post, whether they send thanks or not. IMO.

Karma with a new name........

No... It is not Karma. Karma uses a variable format based on ratings to change the value. You get thanked, you get a thanks. That is all.

You must spread it around simply to keep some people from abusing it and having friends boost them. Seems silly, but some people think they can look important by saying "Well, I have been thanked 728 times, how about you?"

I don't see how it's going to save bandwidth.

You'd have to understand how vBulletin works, to understand the difference between how a post saying "thanks" is manipulated by the program, how "Reputation" is handled by the program and how the "Thanks" addon handles each instance of a thankyou.

There is a huge difference in how much bandwidth and system maintenance is used for each.

When a site becomes popular and has several hundred posts per/day, bandwidth begins to have impact on site costs, speed and maintenance.

The largest vBulletin site on the net is a "Jeep" site, and has more than a million members and thousands of posts per/day. That's the other end of the bandwidth issue.

The data of posts, members, threads, scripts, PMs, and all the counts of those features makes a lot happen behind the scenes that members don't see. Database cleanup and maintenance also uses bandwidth between servers.

The "Thanks" addon lessens the amount of data that has to be managed. It's a substantial amount of data on a busy site.

Somebody explain to me why this change was made.

Was it because of a bandwidth issue?

I am not aware of any other reason why this would be done.

That must be it Andy. Everything else is pretty much the same so I can't see any reason to change it unless it affected something behind the scenes. Change just for the sake of change is inefficient.

NOW you've hit the nail right dab on it's head!

You're probably not aware of the programmatic benefits to the change and can't see the reason because of this lack of awareness. :LOL:

You guys are killin me!

I don't appreciate your suggestion I don't understand saving bandwidth. You don't understand my point.

No one in authority here at DC has said this is being done for that reason.

I've heard, 'Several members have suggested...' 'karma was getting too competitive...'.

I had suggested earlier that members should have been polled about the change if it was done at members' request.

I have stated I saw no evidence of karma abuse.

I have asked for an explanation from management.

I don't appreciate your suggestion I don't understand saving bandwidth.

Andy, lighten up man. I wasn't attacking you or your way of thinking.

I'm very sorry if I upset you. I was making a little humor, not an attack.

I think you're a very savvy guy. I've always thought so. Your insight and ability to put your thoughts into words has always made me admire you.

Please don't be upset. I didn't mean for you to take it so seriously.

Since you quoted me too, am I included in that apology, Timothy?

Andy and I are both former Moderators of this site Tim, so we have more knowledge of its inner workings than you might be aware. That sort of comment tends to rub folks the wrong way. Thanks for clarifying what you actually meant.

Since you quoted me too, am I included in that apology, Timothy?

Andy and I are both former Moderators of this site Tim, so we have more knowledge of its inner workings than you might be aware. That sort of comment tends to rub folks the wrong way. Thanks for clarifying what you actually meant.

It was meant as humor, not criticism, Alix. As an owner of two vBulletin sites, I'm well aware of the difference between Moderators and Administrators of vBulletin sites and all the permissions that can be applied.

A large part of what happens behind the GUI is never seen by Moderators. It's just not in the setup to allow Moderators those permissions.

Even Admins can have very restricted abilities on a vBulletin site. The only person to have full access to *all* site capabilities is usually the owner of the site.

I meant no insult to you or Andy. You guys gotta chill out some.

It was meant as humor, not criticism, Alix.

I meant no insult to you or Andy. You guys gotta chill out some.

I heard you the first time Timothy, and tried to offer you some insight. How about you quit telling me to chill out? I'm not 14, nor was I upset. I'm getting there though.

Mod hat on:

Folks - Let's remember that the entire point of thanks was to improve site communication and increase warm-fuzzies for all.

Milk and cookies all around.... let's move on. :flowers:

milknad cookies.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom