"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #141
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Reminds me of the folks who move here from California because they don't like the lifestyle and then say, "That's not how we did it back home..."

DC is DC, we are unique and I like it. People here respect one another and the TOS.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:15 PM   #142
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Reminds me of the folks who move here from California because they don't like the lifestyle and then say, "That's not how we did it back home..."

DC is DC, we are unique and I like it. People here respect one another and the TOS.
Some of those *people from CA* moved here and got changes implemented as soon as they squawked about something, as I pointed out earlier.
There's always room for improvement... most places.

Old 04-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #143
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I got my fill of that with DH#1 and England. Haven't tolerated that line since.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:51 PM   #144
Certified Pretend Chef

Site ownership/Administration have been quiet on the topic.

Any comments guys?
Old 04-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #145
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
As already pointed out, the thanks button is already there RB. And it isn't really a point system not. It is a running total of how many thanks you have got just as you can see how many posts you have (which is not a point system).
We've already discussed how the current thanks button is different.

What's lacking from the current thanks count that prevents its being a point system? I have over 300 thanks, how many do you have?
Old 04-06-2014, 12:57 PM   #146
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
We've already discussed how the current thanks button is different.
It is still a thanks button though. RB said he wanted a thanks button. There is a thanks button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M
What's lacking from the current thanks count that prevents its being a point system? I have over 300 thanks, how many do you have?
I have 25 PM's. Does that mean I have 25 points for PM's?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #147
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
It is still a thanks button though. RB said he wanted a thanks button. There is a thanks button.

I have 25 PM's. Does that mean I have 25 points for PM's?

You didn't answer my question. What's lacking from the current Thanks count that prevents it from being a point system?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #148
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
You didn't answer my question. What's lacking from the current Thanks count that prevents it from being a point system?
Intent. The intent of a point system is to rank one person against another in a competitive way. Your thanks count is known only to you. There is no competitive nature of the thanks count just as there is no competitive nature of how many PM's you have.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:08 PM   #149
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Intent. The intent of a point system is to rank one person against another in a competitive way. Your thanks count is known only to you. There is no competitive nature of the thanks count just as there is no competitive nature of how many PM's you have.
The old karma system's points were known only to the recipient in the latter years of its existence. Does that mean it wasn't a point system?

I believe we will continue to disagree on this topic. I'm off focus on the Red Sox game.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #150
Chief Eating Officer

I remember it differently. I remember the old karma system being public, but even assuming you are right and it changed to private later on, is was still the intent of how the system was structured. The points (and yes they were called points then unlike now where it does not say points, but just "thanks total") were awarded based on criteria. I do not remember the specifics, but it was a competitive nature in that the more points someone had the more their karma points were worth when they gave them to other people so there was a reward for having more points. Whether it was public or not, the structure of the system was that of competition.

You never answered my question either though Andy. Is the count of PM's that you have a point system? I have 24 PM's. Do I have 24 points?

Closed Thread