"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 01:18 PM   #151
Chef Extraordinaire

What purpose would a point system serve? I certainly for one, do not wish to compete with anyone in this forum. And unless the admins were going to send me a very expensive piece of kitchen equipment that I would never buy myself as a prize for the most points in a month, I can see no other purpose. If I am going to be in a competition, I would expect something for winning.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:24 PM   #152
Chief Eating Officer

Exactly Addie, which is why no one here is advocating a point system. Some think we already have one and they do not want it while others think we do not already have one and are happy about that. No one is trying to start one so you have nothing to worry about.

Old 04-06-2014, 01:26 PM   #153
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
As already pointed out, the thanks button is already there RB. And it isn't really a point system not. It is a running total of how many thanks you have got just as you can see how many posts you have (which is not a point system).
Thanks GB.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #154
Chief Eating Officer

You're welcome.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:35 PM   #155
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...You never answered my question either though Andy. Is the count of PM's that you have a point system? I have 24 PM's. Do I have 24 points?
Difficult to "keep score" with PM totals when you are given a limit of how many PMs you can have and you have the ability to delete them. However, no, it's not a point system.

For the record, I don't care a whit about keeping score. That discussion was just an offshoot of the main point of the thread. All I was suggesting was a simplified Thanks button where you could perform a thanks with just one click.

I'm done with this.
Old 04-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #156
Master Chef

PM's tied to a point system or to determine popularity does not make sense anyway.
I've had many PM's which were complaints against me.....so those would have counted as negative PM's.....LOL...
Old 04-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #157
Chief Eating Officer

My point (haha get it) is that just because there is a total number associated with something, that does not mean it is a point system.

I have no problem with a simplified system, although I think the current system is extremely simple. 3 clicks of a mouse (less than a second out of your day) and you have sent thanks to someone. Sure it could be shortened to one click and you could shave off a fraction of a second to make it a small fraction easier, but it it really that hard to click your mouse 3x instead of 1x and is the gain you get really that much more? Obviously for some it is. For me it is not. I am fine either way.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #158
Chef Extraordinaire

GB, in the world of computing, yes, a fraction of a second is a big deal. You should know that. Don't you recall moving from one dial up connection to another, or when your phone provider upgraded? And then there was the progression of broadband and additional speeds? Not to mention RAM upgrades and little things we were doing to gain more speed. I think anyone who spends regular time on a computer can tell when a page loads a millisecond slower. I'm sure you can tell milliseconds' difference when talking camera recovery times.
But as someone who is using a Dell laptop... those three clicks vs one are a BIG DEAL with Dell's crummy touchpad

But really those are both moot points (get it ). Simpler is simpler and faster is faster. And DC's "uniqueness" has its limits. There is a reason virtually every other forum uses the Like system they do. It's a much better system. Slide the pointer over Like, click, done.

Old 04-06-2014, 05:01 PM   #159
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
But as someone who is using a Dell laptop... those three clicks vs one are a BIG DEAL with Dell's crummy touchpad
Well thats your problem right there. Time to upgrade to a Mac.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:06 PM   #160
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Well thats your problem right there. Time to upgrade to a Mac.
Will I get a Like button?

Actually do I think my next laptop will be an Apple. This is the second one (Dell) that gets a bit hinky at times. Their laptops seem to have inherent problems with both the keyboard and the touchpad.