"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:24 AM   #171
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Several 'seasoned members' have agreed with your suggestion. I don't think your tenure here has anything at all to do with how this suggestion was received.
Perhaps. But the suggestion has eluded the staff completely and there has to be a reason.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #172
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Perhaps. But the suggestion has eluded the staff completely and there has to be a reason.

Yes, but that reason is probably not because you are the one who brought it up.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:44 PM   #173
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:

My goal was not to change anything, but to possibly improve what we already have.
An improvement to what we already have IS a change. That is a definition of change.

When I was an Administrator here and we were implementing the kamra, and then later the thanks system, there was a LOT of discussion behind the scenes about it. Andy and Alix will remember this I am sure. We discussed it for weeks if not longer. There is no simple answer. Everyone likes different things and you are never going to find a system that satisfies every single person.

Just because the staff has not responded does not mean this has eluded them. Of course it does not mean that they are discussing it either.

As Andy said, tenure has nothing to do with anything. Every member here equal from the moment they sign up. One person does not have more of a say than any other.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:35 PM   #174
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
An improvement to what we already have IS a change. That is a definition of change.

When I was an Administrator here and we were implementing the kamra, and then later the thanks system, there was a LOT of discussion behind the scenes about it. Andy and Alix will remember this I am sure. We discussed it for weeks if not longer. There is no simple answer. Everyone likes different things and you are never going to find a system that satisfies every single person.

Just because the staff has not responded does not mean this has eluded them. Of course it does not mean that they are discussing it either.

As Andy said, tenure has nothing to do with anything. Every member here equal from the moment they sign up. One person does not have more of a say than any other.
You are right GB, it is change. My words in text, do not always fulfill my true meaning. I hope you do understand what I meant to say?
I really did not want to "ruffle any feathers" as they say.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:13 PM   #175
Chef Extraordinaire

And as they say in Animal Farm, some members are more equal than others
Old 04-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #176
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
I hope you do understand what I meant to say?
I really did not want to "ruffle any feathers" as they say.
I sure do understand. And speaking for my feathers only, they are not ruffled
Old 04-07-2014, 03:19 PM   #177
Master Chef

Quote:
...The staff could arrange it so there are no points involved.
Personally I can see no reason not to have this feature?
Do you or someone you know write computer code? Adding a "like" button isn't like pasting an image onto a page and attaching it like a photo. Computer instructions have to be written, then made to fit into the existing programming code in such a way that it doesn't blow up the entire system. And in the sample you linked to at another forum that has that feature also shows the names of people who "liked" the post...another instruction necessary for it to work...and more code to write. It's a lot of work!

R_B, do you have kids? If so, did you ever read to them a book called "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie..."? "If you give a mouse a cookie, he's going to ask for a glass of milk. When you give him the milk, he'll probably ask you for a straw. When he's finished, he'll ask you for a napkin..." And on and on...for pages. Writing code for that "one small change" is like that. Besides, if they end up getting it wrong it can crash the entire forum. I seriously doubt you want to do THAT, right?
Old 04-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #178
Chief Eating Officer

Cooking Goddess. The code has already been written. The forum software we use has page after page of options that can be turned on or off or configured in a million different ways.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:40 PM   #179
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Cooking Goddess. The code has already been written. The forum software we use has page after page of options that can be turned on or off or configured in a million different ways.
Yup.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #180
Chef Extraordinaire

Yup 2.