Thanks Button?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooking Goddess. The code has already been written. The forum software we use has page after page of options that can be turned on or off or configured in a million different ways.
I am well aware of our "Thanks" button GB (first oval on the left, at the bottom of every post box, per my User CP settings). I have both sent and received thanks here at DC. But did you see the actual word "thanks" in my previous post? Nope, I'm using the word "like". I haven't been using the terms interchangeably because as far as I can tell from Roll_Bones early posts in this thread he understands the difference and is requesting a "like" button - IMO similar to the feature on Facebook and other forums. Per one of his posts: I should have used "Like" instead of "Thanks" in my title. Since we already have a "Thanks" button that is actually a PM button....:LOL:...[/QUOTE]"]
I should have used "Like" instead of "Thanks" in my title. Since we already have a "Thanks" button that is actually a PM button....:LOL:...

R_B posted a screen shot on page 3*. It shows posts with the "like" area of the post indicating how many "likes" the post received and who generated them. Wouldn't changing a function on DC to that type of result require rewriting some software? Our CP options features allow changes only to the existing system, correct? I could be wrong because I've never written a computer program to save my life. But Himself said my interpretation of what R_B is looking for would require software changes...and doing that sort of thing plus system design was his job in the IT industry for almost 40 years. He's my Tech Hero! :mrgreen:

*It's "page 3" if you have your Number of Posts to Show per Page count set to 20. ;)

I am well aware of our "Thanks" button GB (first oval on the left, at the bottom of every post box, per my User CP settings). I have both sent and received thanks here at DC. But did you see the actual word "thanks" in my previous post? Nope, I'm using the word "like". I haven't been using the terms interchangeably because as far as I can tell from Roll_Bones early posts in this thread he understands the difference and is requesting a "like" button - IMO similar to the feature on Facebook and other forums.
Please re-read my post Cooking Goddess. I never said you used the term thanks or that you used it interchangeably with "like" or anything else of the sort. What I did say is that the code has already been written. Our software (vBulletin) can already do the things requested.

Cooking Goddess said:
Per one of his posts:
R_B posted a screen shot on page 3*. It shows posts with the "like" area of the post indicating how many "likes" the post received and who generated them. Wouldn't changing a function on DC to that type of result require rewriting some software?
Nope. As I said before, the software has already been written. It is just an option that needs to be turned on.

Cooking Goddess said:
Our CP options features allow changes only to the existing system, correct?
It is not our CP options that would enable this feature. That is something that is done behind the scenes.

Think of it this way. When you turn on your cable box do you see every single channel your cable company offers and get access to every option they have? Nope you don't. You just get what you pay for. If you call them up and say here is $100 more per month they will "throw a switch" and all of a sudden you have 50 more channels and 5 new options you did not have before. They did not write any code. The code was already written. They just turned on your access.

GB, when you wrote:
Cooking Goddess. The code has already been written. The forum software we use has page after page of options that can be turned on or off or configured in a million different ways.
...my brain understood that to mean my own User Control Panel, not

...Our software (vBulletin) can already do the things requested...
Oops. Sorry. :blush:

...Think of it this way. When you turn on your cable box do you see every single channel your cable company offers and get access to every option they have?...
Wellllll.....I'm pretty sure cable boxes have changed since 1986 or '87. We haven't had cable (or dish, or anything other than an antenna and, more recently, also an internet connection) since then. I could probably live without TV since I watch only two TV shows regularly. Himself is perfectly happy finding shows to watch on Hulu or the network sites like PBS. But I do understand how you select from a menu. More items, more bucks. But we're happy with "free". :LOL:

And now for this simple(?) question: If making this change is as simple as flipping a switch (metaphorically speaking), why not put up a poll? "Yes to like button" "No to like button" "I don't care one way or the other". Since I have no problem with the current system I would click "I don't care". Which seems like a contradiction considering my other posts about this topic...:ermm:

My schedule of Microsoft Keyboard Codes tells me, Ctrl-s. The S is for save! When I am doing a long document, I will do that throughout the document as I am working on it. Also for recipes. Redoing the list of ingredients can be daunting some times.

That reminds me, I need to get that back from my SIL. I let him borrow it to study. I will have to make a copy for him. :angel:

No worries Cooking Goddess.

Addie Ctrl-s is save, but Ctrl-z is undo. If you make a mistake the last thing you want to do is save it. You want to undo it.

Last edited:
And now for this simple(?) question: If making this change is as simple as flipping a switch (metaphorically speaking), why not put up a poll?
Because if they did that for this issue then why would they not have to do it for every other issues and option they could turn on or off? Even though this seems like a big issue because we have a thread on it that has lasted pages, look at how many people have actually participated in the conversation. And of those that actually participated, look at how many actually care what the outcome is. I did not bother to count, but I would guess maybe 10 people or so have expressed an interest in changing what we have. At least two of those people (both you and I) have said they really don't care one way or the other. Now look at how many members we have. It is a drop in the bucket. I am not saying that those in this thread that want it changed should not have a say, but to change something so small based on a vote would grind the behind the scenes office to a halt. There are millions of options that they could change just like this one. What color the site is, if certain options show up on the right or the left or top or bottom or at all. There are literally page after page of things and each one could potentially be a subject for a vote since everyone has personal opinions. A vote, while it sounds like a good democratic way in not very effective with something like this. Only people who read the thread would vote first off. What about all the people who never even bother to open the thread which would be the majority of the members? What about future members? Would they get a vote after the fact? Would the system have to keep changing as we get new members? What about an old member who has been away for a while and comes back after the vote? The staff has to make decisions on how the site will look and work and can't be bogged down with checking with every member each time they make a change. That is not to say changes can't and shouldn't be done by popular demand, but if that were done it would have to be a pretty big issue and I dont think a large thread necessarily equals a large issue.

I find it hard to believe that the subject of an extra silly button can create so much controversy. I would assume that every member who comes to this forum must 'like' it, or they wouldn't be here on a daily basis.

Thank you and well said GB. :angel:

Last edited:
If the number of members replying (with input) to this thread is ten I do not consider that a drop in the bucket. My ratio would be drawn on active/participating members, not total members.
But that's me.

My schedule of Microsoft Keyboard Codes tells me, Ctrl-s. The S is for save! When I am doing a long document, I will do that throughout the document as I am working on it. Also for recipes. Redoing the list of ingredients can be daunting some times.

That reminds me, I need to get that back from my SIL. I let him borrow it to study. I will have to make a copy for him. :angel:
But, Addie, you only want to save when you like what you have. And "save" really only applies to files. If you are typing a reply to a post, it isn't really what you want.

ctrl-z is "undo". When the touchpad accidentally highlights an entire paragraph and deletes it, ctrl-z will usually bring back that paragraph.

But, Addie, you only want to save when you like what you have. And "save" really only applies to files. If you are typing a reply to a post, it isn't really what you want.

ctrl-z is "undo". When the touchpad accidentally highlights an entire paragraph and deletes it, ctrl-z will usually bring back that paragraph.

I understand. But just out of habit over the years, even when I am doing an email, I will stop and do a Ctrl+s out of habit. I have been known to do some stupid things like delete what I am working on right in the middle of the piece, even email. :angel:

I understand. But just out of habit over the years, even when I am doing an email, I will stop and do a Ctrl+s out of habit. I have been known to do some stupid things like delete what I am working on right in the middle of the piece, even email. :angel:

I like those forums that will save what you are typing automatically. If "something happens", you can click back and will not have lost your entire post. Most if not all will have been saved.
But that's another long thread... :angel:

If the number of members replying (with input) to this thread is ten I do not consider that a drop in the bucket. My ratio would be drawn on active/participating members, not total members.
But that's me.
Just because someone is not in a thread participating does not mean they are not a participating member.

Just because someone is not in a thread participating does not mean they are not a participating member.

I'm all ears. What is your definition of an active/participating member?

And just to add, would someone who does not post care one way or the other whether or not we use a Thanks or a Like button? I can't see how it would make a difference to them, but then I haven't seen your definition yet.

My definition does not matter. What I am saying is how to you determine that one members opinion is more important/valuable than another. Just because you post in a thread that means you have more say over how the overall site should work? There are plenty of actively participating members (by any definition) who have not been in this thread. Does their opinion not count?

There is another forum that I frequent that I hardly ever post on. Here I have over 25K posts. There (I have been a member roughly the same amount of time) I have around 100 posts. And most of those posts were in the past year, so lets say this was 2 years ago and I had 15 posts at that other thread. There was not a single person there who knew I existed, yet I still loved passively enjoying the site. I can promise you there are plenty of lurkers here at DC as well. Does that mean they are less of a member because they do not post? There are tons of reasons people do not post, but only read.

What about the members who come here and post for a few months then go away for a few then come back for a few etc? What about long time members who left to do something for a while and are not currently on the site, but will be back at some point?

Wow. I obviously struck a sore spot with you GB.
Don't try to twist my words by using phrases like "less of a member" and insinuating that I meant people who do not post opinions do not count. I meant nothing of the sort. I merely stated that I do not consider active posters' opinions as drops in a bucket. What I did wonder what was you meant by this:

Originally Posted by GB

Your definition of the word participate is obviously different than the actual definition and I was curious as to how you defined the word. Am I participating in a baseball game because I am sitting in the stands watching it? I don't think so. Am I participating in a forum just because I registered? No. I am still a member, simply not an active or participating member. At least by definition of the word. Not unless there is an Internet definition I don't know about. And that's why I asked you for your definition.

First off, I never twisted your words. I asked a question. I did not say or insinuate anything. I asked if someone were less of a member in certain situations. I did not say you said that nor did I imply you said it. If you feel that I did otherwise then you have my apologies because that was NOT my intention.

What I meant by "Just because someone is not in a thread participating does not mean they are not a participating member" can be summed up very simply. Look through this thread and mark down the members who have posted. Now go into a different thread. Lets say the Song Title Game thread for instance, just to randomly pick one. Now I have not actually gone into that thread so I am just guessing here, but my guess is that there are people who posted in that thread that did not post in this thread. They are actively participating in this site are they not? Just because they have not also posted in this thread does not mean they are not actively on the site.

My further points go on to show that there are other ways of actively participating other than posting. If I spend 10 hours a day reading and researching then I am participating in the site. Posting is not the only way to participate.

Your baseball analogy is not an apples to apples comparison. To make it more equal you should ask if the members on the bench who never get into the game are participating as they are members of the team just as lurkers are members of the forum. The apples to apples comparison would be non members of our forum (those who read but never bother to sign up) vs the fans in the stands. That would be more accurate.

I would argue that the team members on the bench are participating. Their presence there holds value wether they ever get to play or not. They are part of the team, just as members here who do not post for whatever reason (they don't feel comfortable putting their opinions out in public, they have a tenuous grasp of the English language, they can't spell, etc) are still members of the site with just as much say as anyone else who is a member.

Thank you everyone for the discussion and the idea.

We worked hard, and did a lot of thinking, planning and discussing, before implementing the "Thanks" button.

We are not Facebook, and we will never be. We have a different, and possibly unique, outlook and functionality.

Art this time I don't think anything more could be added with this discussion. Thank you for the ideas and participation, but this one is getting sent to the deep chest freezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom