"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 AM   #191
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I understand. But just out of habit over the years, even when I am doing an email, I will stop and do a Ctrl+s out of habit. I have been known to do some stupid things like delete what I am working on right in the middle of the piece, even email.
I like those forums that will save what you are typing automatically. If "something happens", you can click back and will not have lost your entire post. Most if not all will have been saved.
But that's another long thread...

Old 04-08-2014, 10:48 AM   #192
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
If the number of members replying (with input) to this thread is ten I do not consider that a drop in the bucket. My ratio would be drawn on active/participating members, not total members.
But that's me.
Just because someone is not in a thread participating does not mean they are not a participating member.

Old 04-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #193
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Just because someone is not in a thread participating does not mean they are not a participating member.
I'm all ears. What is your definition of an active/participating member?

And just to add, would someone who does not post care one way or the other whether or not we use a Thanks or a Like button? I can't see how it would make a difference to them, but then I haven't seen your definition yet.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:52 AM   #194
Chief Eating Officer

My definition does not matter. What I am saying is how to you determine that one members opinion is more important/valuable than another. Just because you post in a thread that means you have more say over how the overall site should work? There are plenty of actively participating members (by any definition) who have not been in this thread. Does their opinion not count?

There is another forum that I frequent that I hardly ever post on. Here I have over 25K posts. There (I have been a member roughly the same amount of time) I have around 100 posts. And most of those posts were in the past year, so lets say this was 2 years ago and I had 15 posts at that other thread. There was not a single person there who knew I existed, yet I still loved passively enjoying the site. I can promise you there are plenty of lurkers here at DC as well. Does that mean they are less of a member because they do not post? There are tons of reasons people do not post, but only read.

What about the members who come here and post for a few months then go away for a few then come back for a few etc? What about long time members who left to do something for a while and are not currently on the site, but will be back at some point?
Old 04-08-2014, 12:48 PM   #195
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow. I obviously struck a sore spot with you GB.
Don't try to twist my words by using phrases like "less of a member" and insinuating that I meant people who do not post opinions do not count. I meant nothing of the sort. I merely stated that I do not consider active posters' opinions as drops in a bucket. What I did wonder what was you meant by this:

Originally Posted by GB

Your definition of the word participate is obviously different than the actual definition and I was curious as to how you defined the word. Am I participating in a baseball game because I am sitting in the stands watching it? I don't think so. Am I participating in a forum just because I registered? No. I am still a member, simply not an active or participating member. At least by definition of the word. Not unless there is an Internet definition I don't know about. And that's why I asked you for your definition.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:03 PM   #196
Chief Eating Officer

First off, I never twisted your words. I asked a question. I did not say or insinuate anything. I asked if someone were less of a member in certain situations. I did not say you said that nor did I imply you said it. If you feel that I did otherwise then you have my apologies because that was NOT my intention.

What I meant by "Just because someone is not in a thread participating does not mean they are not a participating member" can be summed up very simply. Look through this thread and mark down the members who have posted. Now go into a different thread. Lets say the Song Title Game thread for instance, just to randomly pick one. Now I have not actually gone into that thread so I am just guessing here, but my guess is that there are people who posted in that thread that did not post in this thread. They are actively participating in this site are they not? Just because they have not also posted in this thread does not mean they are not actively on the site.

My further points go on to show that there are other ways of actively participating other than posting. If I spend 10 hours a day reading and researching then I am participating in the site. Posting is not the only way to participate.

Your baseball analogy is not an apples to apples comparison. To make it more equal you should ask if the members on the bench who never get into the game are participating as they are members of the team just as lurkers are members of the forum. The apples to apples comparison would be non members of our forum (those who read but never bother to sign up) vs the fans in the stands. That would be more accurate.

I would argue that the team members on the bench are participating. Their presence there holds value wether they ever get to play or not. They are part of the team, just as members here who do not post for whatever reason (they don't feel comfortable putting their opinions out in public, they have a tenuous grasp of the English language, they can't spell, etc) are still members of the site with just as much say as anyone else who is a member.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #197
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Thank you everyone for the discussion and the idea.

We worked hard, and did a lot of thinking, planning and discussing, before implementing the "Thanks" button.

We are not Facebook, and we will never be. We have a different, and possibly unique, outlook and functionality.

Art this time I don't think anything more could be added with this discussion. Thank you for the ideas and participation, but this one is getting sent to the deep chest freezer.

Closed Thread