Thanks Button?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the record, I would be all for a "like" system like other sites have. I like that a lot more than the way we have it here (not that I really care much one way or the other actually). But to your post yes you can send the poster a PM, but that is not the same as a "thanks" the way we have it set up. A PM is generally seen as a conversation, while a thanks can be more of a one sided thing. Say your thanks and that is the end of it as opposed to (some people) feeling an obligation to respond.

I found this. An example of another forum with the "Thanks" button in use.

So sorry about the screen shot quality. If you click on it, you can see it much better.

Attachments

• screen shot.jpg
    screen shot.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
Maybe this is a better screen shot? Nope. No better. Sorry folks.
Keep in mind I was not logged into this forum. so the actual "Thanks" button is not shown. Just the members that have used the "Thanks" button.

Attachments

• screen shot 2.jpg
    screen shot 2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
I think what taxlady was saying (and TL please correct me if I am wrong) is that it does not allow you to give a reason for the thanks.

I think what taxlady was saying (and TL please correct me if I am wrong) is that it does not allow you to give a reason for the thanks.
Roadfix had it right. If you want to give a reason, you can quote the post or send a PM.

One of the forums I am on the Like button stays hidden unless you scroll over it. It is within a member's post. If you Like the post it will say, "You, name, name and 4 others like this". You can click to see who all liked it. After you Like a post you have the option to Unlike it, too. In that case it is not hidden.
And the best thing is no PM's are sent. You see a notification bar when you log onto the forum. If you click on it it might say, "You received three likes". If you click again that is when you actually leave the page and see the member who Liked your post and a few lines of the post. Otherwise you can simply ignore the Notifications bar and click on it when you feel like it. No annoying pop up either. The Notifications is highlited in orange.

OK so I just tried to give you "thanks" taxlady and I got a popup that said "this post has not received any thanks. you have x number of thanks" with x being the amount of time I have been thanked. Weird.

No reason. No typing. Just click "thanks" and your name appears along with anyone else that has "thanked" the post.

GB. Click on my attempt above and you can see what is presented after someone thanks the post.

RB I completely understand what you are saying. I am a member of probably over 50 forums. I am very familiar with the system your are talking about. My comment (which is irrelivant anyway since it was not what Taxlady was talking about) is saying exactly what you are saying. That under that system it just lets the person know they are thanked. It does not (like our current system allows) let the person being thanked know why they are being thanked.

RB I completely understand what you are saying. I am a member of probably over 50 forums. I am very familiar with the system your are talking about. My comment (which is irrelivant anyway since it was not what Taxlady was talking about) is saying exactly what you are saying. That under that system it just lets the person know they are thanked. It does not (like our current system allows) let the person being thanked know why they are being thanked.

That, IMO, is the best way.
A person can click one more time, first on the member's username then the PM button, and type until their heart's content if they have anything to say.
This way the Thanks recipient isn't receiving (basically) blank PM's like it's set up now.

That, IMO, is the best way.
A person can click one more time, first on the member's username then the PM button, and type until their heart's content if they have anything to say.
This way the Thanks recipient isn't receiving (basically) blank PM's like it's set up now.

+1

The system needs to be simple and quick. If a personal statement is important to you, then make the extra effort to send a PM. Otherwise, just click one button and you're done.

Right now it is just 2 clicks Andy. Click "thanks" then click "send your thanks". The personal message is optional.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom