Thanks Button?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, look at that strange post.
I quoted dcsaute and it stuck GB's name in the field.

I'll probably get suspended or kicked off for saying this :ermm: :

IF your biggest problem in life is liking or not liking the "thanks" button, or the lack of a "like" button, or not wanting to be bothered with the effort to quote just the select part of a comment you are responding to...well then, consider yourself one very lucky person. There are SO many other things to be concerned with that actually warrant this much attention.

It really does take a lot of time to make a small change to any program. Those in charge may find that since we seem to be pretty evenly divided about wanting/not wanting this change, it isn't worth the time and aggravation to rewrite a computer program to make this change. If your overall experience at DC is enjoyable you'll overlook differences. For me, keeping the current way or making a change doesn't make a difference as to whether or DC is my "Happy Place".

In the end, I hope we all accept the way things are around here whether or not they're exactly the way we want them to be or are changed to a different way we may not prefer. In the end it's all about the friendships we've developed and the knowledge we've gained along the way at DC.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope I haven't offended anyone. :flowers:

Yeah, but that's posting. .....and if a hundred people did that the thread would be several pages long of just thank you notes...

No, because the only people posting their thanks would be the people who want their thanks to be seen by everyone. The rest would be using the Thanks button they way it is.

Really, why is it important to thank someone? It's just a discussion, and unless people are beginning to take sides, there's no reason to have to thank someone for agreeing with you.

What does that have to do with anything posted in this thread?

if I understood correctly, the demand was to have one's "Thanks" included in the thread.

it's the same thing - there are people who cannot reply without including the original post. I guess they do not know how.

it is very helpful for old people who cannot remember what they said yesterday. or for the folks who log on once a year.

the usefulness of a Thanks button/function/score escapes me, completely.
other than building up one's own little clique of Likers, what's the point?

Some people like to express appreciation for help or advice they have received. Sometimes one might want it to be private, other times public. It's not about agreement or cliques.

[QUOTE Hope I haven't offended anyone. :flowers:[/QUOTE]

CG, I'm not offended and I doubt that anyone else is.

When I see a thread like this I think of the quote by Pablo Picasso " Give me a museum and I'll fill it!"

I think most DCers feel the same way about a lively thread. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

\
Really, why is it important to thank someone? It's just a discussion, and unless people are beginning to take sides, there's no reason to have to thank someone for agreeing with you.
My parents always taught me to thank people. Thanking someone is polite. It has nothing to do with taking sides (and hence it is private under the current system). When someone makes a point I had not considered or something that enlightens me I feel the want to thank them.

if I understood correctly, the demand was to have one's "Thanks" included in the thread.

it's the same thing - there are people who cannot reply without including the original post. I guess they do not know how.

it is very helpful for old people who cannot remember what they said yesterday. or for the folks who log on once a year.

the usefulness of a Thanks button/function/score escapes me, completely.
other than building up one's own little clique of Likers, what's the point?

Where do I start?

You understood incorrectly. The request was to have a Thanks/Like button that worked differently from the current one.

"Some people" quote the post so it's clear what they are responding to.

I, for one, don't appreciate your ageist comment.

Social convention is to offer thanks for a comment/post that you appreciate.

Thank you for taking the time to participate.

Some people like to express appreciation for help or advice they have received. Sometimes one might want it to be private, other times public. It's not about agreement or cliques.

If I asked for and received help or advice I would just post "Thanks for the help!"

I try to be thankful for all of you, for you have been so kind and caring toward me.

I'm not sure of all this as far as the technological part, but from my heart, I thank all of you for being here.

With love,
~Cat

Where do I start?

You understood incorrectly. The request was to have a Thanks/Like button that worked differently from the current one.

"Some people" quote the post so it's clear what they are responding to.

I, for one, don't appreciate your ageist comment.

Social convention is to offer thanks for a comment/post that you appreciate.

Thank you for taking the time to participate.

it's not impossible I'm older than you.

and more generally, being "online" since the mid-80's, I've seen the Votes and Thanks buttons become a point of contention - a "them against us" thing - a my score is higher than your score thing - very ugly - very destructive.

sounded like a good idea at the time; frequently does not work out in the end.

the quote backs? long standing issue.

>>so it's clear
oh dear, where do I start . . . _so many_ other ways to accomplish that.....

but, I've forgotten . . .

it's not impossible I'm older than you.

and more generally, being "online" since the mid-80's, I've seen the Votes and Thanks buttons become a point of contention - a "them against us" thing - a my score is higher than your score thing - very ugly - very destructive.

sounded like a good idea at the time; frequently does not work out in the end.

the quote backs? long standing issue.

>>so it's clear
oh dear, where do I start . . . _so many_ other ways to accomplish that.....

but, I've forgotten . . .

Your age doesn't make it OK to make an ageist remark.

We've had one means or another of saying thank you on this site for nearly a decade and the worst that's happened is that we have a spirited discussion like this one every few years.

I agree that sometimes the quotes are overdone. There's another thread that discusses that topic.

Sorry you're having memory issues. Perhaps there are some memory aids that could work for you...

Hm, an interesting thread so THANKS everyone! :rolleyes:

The way I see it, people are talking about:

1 Thanks
2 Liking
3 Agreement

Unless we want a button for each option (which would clutter things up a bit), I'm not sure there is all that much of an issue with the current system?

I also suspect this affects some posters more than others. (Us irregular posters are not overly troubled with "Thanks" PMs) :whistling

However, that said, a very simple "Thanks" button that you could click at the end of a useful recipe or bit of cooking advice - that let the poster know that what they had posted was useful, but that doesn't involve "points" and doesn't clog up peoples' PMs, and doesn't "quote", doesn't sound like the worst idea in the world.

I'll get my coat... (and brolly - still raining in Hampshire)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom