"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 04:20 PM   #61
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Right now it is just 2 clicks Andy. Click "thanks" then click "send your thanks". The personal message is optional.
...and a third click on OK when the forum tells you your thanks have been sent.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #62
Chef Extraordinaire

Remember dear, dear, Margi? The globe traveling member? She really abused the "Thanks" button. Everyone go a Thanks! It got so bad that I just quit opening them.

Old 03-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #63
Chief Eating Officer

Wait, it is bad when someone thanks you?
Old 03-24-2014, 05:36 PM   #64
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Wait, it is bad when someone thanks you?
No, but she did overdo it quite a bit. She would send a Thanks for when you stated your score on the Jeopardy quizzes.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #65
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I dont receive any PM's for thanks as it is right now let alone blank ones. I only see thanks when I click User CP
Maybe I should disable mine like Alix mentioned. I just don't want it to affect any other notifications. I'm always getting "blank" PM's. I say "blank" because they aren't actually void of text. Just void of text that's not forum generated like a form letter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Remember dear, dear, Margi? The globe traveling member? She really abused the "Thanks" button. Everyone go a Thanks! It got so bad that I just quit opening them.
We have a running joke on another forum that just because you received Likes from [name], doesn't mean you are a popular member. That one guy will pick a thread and run through it Liking every post in it

BUT... since it's not a PM it's no big deal. I can receive a dozen Likes from him a night and my PM box won't be affected.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:58 PM   #66
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
No, but she did overdo it quite a bit. She would send a Thanks for when you stated your score on the Jeopardy quizzes.
Point taken. I guess I would just take that as a nice thing though. Someone cared enough to thank you for something even if you did not see the need for thanks.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:00 PM   #67
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I just gave myself a thanks. Most other forums will not let you do that, not that it matters.....

Can you try this again, I tried and it behaved as I would expect.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #68
Master Chef

When I do it I get a message telling me that my post has not received any thanks yet.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:24 PM   #69
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
...oops, you're right, CG...
Of course I'm right! I'm ALWAYS right! Except when I'm wrong...

I've read all four pages on this topic and my take-away is "some want to make this like Facebook?" In my opinion, oh heck no. Why? Sometimes I think the purpose of a "like" button is to make the OP feel liked. Guess being popular or liked never really mattered to me so I don't really see a useful purpose of a like button for me. Obviously others' opinions differ. In the past it has also seemed like some posters made "Posts: #" a competition. Um, why? To show that you excel in verbosity? For me, that's my job in real life.

Personally, I prefer having the "thanks" button to use when I want to send a quick note about a specific post to the person who made that post. Much easier than composing a PM and it doesn't affect their PM limit. As I explained to pac, if you want to know which post it is that you're being thanked for you can see that in one click. And it's not a whole lot of trouble to click on the sender's name so that you can continue the conversation if you choose. As far as using the "thanks" button as if it were a FB "like" button, I could probably count the number of times I've done that on one hand. Guess using that "thanks" button shows I'm pretty good at verbosity myself.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #70
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Of course I'm right! I'm ALWAYS right! Except when I'm wrong...

I've read all four pages on this topic and my take-away is "some want to make this like Facebook?"

Yes. Apparently. Other than the Baking thread being broken apart I have never seen the admins act upon one new member's request so fast.
Like you must have read, there was really nothing wrong with the old system.

In my opinion, oh heck no. Why? Sometimes I think the purpose of a "like" button is to make the OP feel liked.

Not exactly. It is a way for one person to make one click and agree with, or "Like" the post, without anything further being said.

[snip]

Personally, I prefer having the "thanks" button to use when I want to send a quick note about a specific post to the person who made that post. Much easier than composing a PM and it doesn't affect their PM limit.

How is it easier than composing a PM? You can't even see your full sentence in the small Thanks window. Just a few typed words at a time.
And maybe it doesn't affect your PM limit, but it does mine
Are you sure?

As I explained to pac, if you want to know which post it is that you're being thanked for you can see that in one click. And it's not a whole lot of trouble to click on the sender's name so that you can continue the conversation if you choose. As far as using the "thanks" button as if it were a FB "like" button, I could probably count the number of times I've done that on one hand. Guess using that "thanks" button shows I'm pretty good at verbosity myself.
Just sayin'