"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-24-2014, 07:30 PM   #71
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,265
Which is why I also said "Obviously others' opinions differ." my dear pac.

If it happens I'll be indifferent to it. Unless no one likes my posts.
__________________

__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline  
Old 03-24-2014, 07:40 PM   #72
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Which is why I also said "Obviously others' opinions differ." my dear pac.

If it happens I'll be indifferent to it. Unless no one likes my posts.
no, no, no... that's why I broke it down.
Maybe the forum work differently for you. Are you using a PC or tablet/phone device? Because I can't believe your Thanks aren't counting against your fifty allowed PM's... They sure are mine.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline  
Old 03-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #73
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Thanks dont affect my PMs either. I neither get nor send PM's for thanks.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline  
Old 03-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #74
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Thanks dont affect my PMs either. I neither get nor send PM's for thanks.
Interesting. I just clicked on my PM's Inbox to make double check and it's full of "You have been thanked!" subject lines.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline  
Old 03-25-2014, 08:04 AM   #75
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
To everyone who sent me thanks in this thread, thank you back. And yes I did get the thanks (without any PM's being sent or received from my side).

We truly live blessed lives in that one of our biggest concerns is that we are have to debate the best way to thank out fellow members. I think that right there says a lot about this place
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline  
Old 03-25-2014, 08:14 AM   #76
Master Chef
 
Aunt Bea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: near Mount Pilot
Posts: 7,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
To everyone who sent me thanks in this thread, thank you back. And yes I did get the thanks (without any PM's being sent or received from my side).

We truly live blessed lives in that one of our biggest concerns is that we are have to debate the best way to thank out fellow members. I think that right there says a lot about this place
I would've hit the like button on this one, but I couldn't find it!
__________________
Aunt Bea is offline  
Old 03-25-2014, 01:07 PM   #77
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I've read all four pages on this topic and my take-away is "some want to make this like Facebook?"
You would be incorrect. No one wants it to be anything like facebook. Especially me.
Did you take a second to view the examples? If you did, you would see a "thanks" button like pictured and linked are nothing like facebook. Nothing like it.
This is why I recommended a true simple "thanks" button.
Click "thanks" and be on your way to the next post.

When I first joined this forum, I clicked on the "thanks" button a few times. Once I realized what it was, I quit using it.
Now I have to post my agreement or like the others say +1.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I would've hit the like button on this one, but I couldn't find it!
There are times everyday I am on this forum I would have loved to be able to just click "thanks" and be done with "thanks".
__________________
Roll_Bones is offline  
Old 03-25-2014, 01:15 PM   #78
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Did you take a second to view the examples? If you did, you would see a "thanks" button like pictured and linked are nothing like facebook. Nothing like it.
I looked at your example. In the example when you click thanks it shows the person who did the thanking. How, exactly, is that not the same thing as clicking "like" on Facebook which then show who clicked like on that post? Other than one being called "thanks" and the other "like" just what exactly are these differences that make you say the two are nothing alike?




Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
There are times everyday I am on this forum I would have loved to be able to just click "thanks" and be done with "thanks".
Why can't you do that now under our current system? OK so it is 2 clicks instead of one, but it is really that much more out of your day to click a button one extra time?
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline  
Old 03-25-2014, 01:36 PM   #79
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,142
I just realized I haven't thanked so many of you who have been so kind to me!

I'm not a good member when I forget to do that. I'll try to be better.

I belong to a political forum also, and I think there should be a "Dingbat" button there.

With love,
~Cat
__________________
CatPat is offline  
Old 03-25-2014, 01:44 PM   #80
Executive Chef
 
Roll_Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Southeast US
Posts: 2,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
I looked at your example. In the example when you click thanks it shows the person who did the thanking. How, exactly, is that not the same thing as clicking "like" on Facebook which then show who clicked like on that post? Other than one being called "thanks" and the other "like" just what exactly are these differences that make you say the two are nothing alike?

Why can't you do that now under our current system? OK so it is 2 clicks instead of one, but it is really that much more out of your day to click a button one extra time?
My point was that this is not an attempt to make this forum like facebook. I was responding to the insinuation that "some" are trying to turn this into, or like facebook.

But I have used both facebook "likes" and my other forums "thanks" and they are not the same.
Liking something on facebook opens up a can of worms, uninvited comments from people I have never met and solicitation from companies selling something.
The "thanks" button does not provide these unwanted extras. They are night and day different.

The current system on DC is not even close to the thanks button I use on the other forums.
No box pops up and no text can be entered.
Besides why should the thanks be hidden from the rest of the forum.
__________________

__________________
Roll_Bones is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.