Thanks Button?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of the folks who move here from California because they don't like the lifestyle and then say, "That's not how we did it back home..."

DC is DC, we are unique and I like it. People here respect one another and the TOS.

Reminds me of the folks who move here from California because they don't like the lifestyle and then say, "That's not how we did it back home..."

DC is DC, we are unique and I like it. People here respect one another and the TOS.

Some of those *people from CA* moved here and got changes implemented as soon as they squawked about something, as I pointed out earlier.
There's always room for improvement... most places.

I got my fill of that with DH#1 and England. Haven't tolerated that line since. :angel:

As already pointed out, the thanks button is already there RB. And it isn't really a point system not. It is a running total of how many thanks you have got just as you can see how many posts you have (which is not a point system).

We've already discussed how the current thanks button is different.

What's lacking from the current thanks count that prevents its being a point system? I have over 300 thanks, how many do you have?

We've already discussed how the current thanks button is different.
It is still a thanks button though. RB said he wanted a thanks button. There is a thanks button.

Andy M said:
What's lacking from the current thanks count that prevents its being a point system? I have over 300 thanks, how many do you have?
I have 25 PM's. Does that mean I have 25 points for PM's?

It is still a thanks button though. RB said he wanted a thanks button. There is a thanks button.

I have 25 PM's. Does that mean I have 25 points for PM's?

You didn't answer my question. What's lacking from the current Thanks count that prevents it from being a point system?

You didn't answer my question. What's lacking from the current Thanks count that prevents it from being a point system?
Intent. The intent of a point system is to rank one person against another in a competitive way. Your thanks count is known only to you. There is no competitive nature of the thanks count just as there is no competitive nature of how many PM's you have.

Intent. The intent of a point system is to rank one person against another in a competitive way. Your thanks count is known only to you. There is no competitive nature of the thanks count just as there is no competitive nature of how many PM's you have.

The old karma system's points were known only to the recipient in the latter years of its existence. Does that mean it wasn't a point system?

I believe we will continue to disagree on this topic. I'm off focus on the Red Sox game.

I remember it differently. I remember the old karma system being public, but even assuming you are right and it changed to private later on, is was still the intent of how the system was structured. The points (and yes they were called points then unlike now where it does not say points, but just "thanks total") were awarded based on criteria. I do not remember the specifics, but it was a competitive nature in that the more points someone had the more their karma points were worth when they gave them to other people so there was a reward for having more points. Whether it was public or not, the structure of the system was that of competition.

You never answered my question either though Andy. Is the count of PM's that you have a point system? I have 24 PM's. Do I have 24 points?

What purpose would a point system serve? I certainly for one, do not wish to compete with anyone in this forum. And unless the admins were going to send me a very expensive piece of kitchen equipment that I would never buy myself as a prize for the most points in a month, I can see no other purpose. If I am going to be in a competition, I would expect something for winning. :angel:

Last edited:
Exactly Addie, which is why no one here is advocating a point system. Some think we already have one and they do not want it while others think we do not already have one and are happy about that. No one is trying to start one so you have nothing to worry about.

As already pointed out, the thanks button is already there RB. And it isn't really a point system not. It is a running total of how many thanks you have got just as you can see how many posts you have (which is not a point system).

Thanks GB.

...You never answered my question either though Andy. Is the count of PM's that you have a point system? I have 24 PM's. Do I have 24 points?

Difficult to "keep score" with PM totals when you are given a limit of how many PMs you can have and you have the ability to delete them. However, no, it's not a point system.

For the record, I don't care a whit about keeping score. That discussion was just an offshoot of the main point of the thread. All I was suggesting was a simplified Thanks button where you could perform a thanks with just one click.

I'm done with this.

PM's tied to a point system or to determine popularity does not make sense anyway.
I've had many PM's which were complaints against me.....so those would have counted as negative PM's.....LOL...

My point (haha get it) is that just because there is a total number associated with something, that does not mean it is a point system.

I have no problem with a simplified system, although I think the current system is extremely simple. 3 clicks of a mouse (less than a second out of your day) and you have sent thanks to someone. Sure it could be shortened to one click and you could shave off a fraction of a second to make it a small fraction easier, but it it really that hard to click your mouse 3x instead of 1x and is the gain you get really that much more? Obviously for some it is. For me it is not. I am fine either way.

GB, in the world of computing, yes, a fraction of a second is a big deal. You should know that. Don't you recall moving from one dial up connection to another, or when your phone provider upgraded? And then there was the progression of broadband and additional speeds? Not to mention RAM upgrades and little things we were doing to gain more speed. I think anyone who spends regular time on a computer can tell when a page loads a millisecond slower. I'm sure you can tell milliseconds' difference when talking camera recovery times.
But as someone who is using a Dell laptop... those three clicks vs one are a BIG DEAL with Dell's crummy touchpad :rolleyes:

But really those are both moot points (get it ;)). Simpler is simpler and faster is faster. And DC's "uniqueness" has its limits. There is a reason virtually every other forum uses the Like system they do. It's a much better system. Slide the pointer over Like, click, done.

:)

Well thats your problem right there. Time to upgrade to a Mac.

Will I get a Like button? :rolleyes:
:LOL:

Actually do I think my next laptop will be an Apple. This is the second one (Dell) that gets a bit hinky at times. Their laptops seem to have inherent problems with both the keyboard and the touchpad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom