"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2004, 10:55 PM   #11
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
I deal with food all day...sometimes I come here to find out about other peoples creativity, so I don't shut mine down. The chat, and light humor around here makes me want to come back later, tomorrow...etc.

I personally like, and wish I had more time to hang with you, and post more recipes.

Old 12-29-2004, 11:27 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi Chez Suz,

I can honestly say I don't care for the "what does your hair look like" or "what do you see when you look at the sky", etc. I wish we could stick with more cooking/food-related chat. BUT the chat is what makes this site more personal. I wish we had a forum for general chat like we do now but then one for just cooking chat - but supposedly we are supposed to chat about cooking down in the food-related forums - if you have a question about chicken - you go to the chicken forum - but your question that you posted is a great one - where would that go? I guess miscellaneous but it would be nice to have a cooking/food chat forum ONLY.

But I will have to disagree with you when you say what we have is mostly cream of mushroom soup slopped over rice or orzo. That is kind of insulting and I take it kind of personally - so with that being said - when you do slop cream of mushroom soup over rice or orzo what do you see?? (sorry, this whole last paragraph wasn't serious at all - just had to get you all worked up to ask that question!!!!!) - I know - I'm mean :oops:

But I really do think we have more than cream of mushroom soup and rice recipes. And I do appreciate your topics that you start with the food-related questions. I hope we can all get back to posting recipes and going to the right forums to ask questions. Even I slip up on that.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 12-30-2004, 12:57 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
i really have to disagree with the mushroom soup thing too. yes, we may have lost some members that are in the profession (cooking), but i really don't need to be told whom they trained under, and how most americans are satisfied with hot dogs and beans, since we are so uncooth and uncivilized. or argue with people that have a problem just trying to dicuss the simplest of ideas. i think they would argue with a rock if given the chance. so if my posts annoy them, or cause them to leave because my recipes aren't complicated enough, then i hope they find what they are looking for elsewhere.
that being said, i think we have a great bunch of people, who at times, get a bit chatty, and silly. i love having fun here, as well as getting great tips and recipes from people i consider my friends and family.
i also greatly respect someones post when i know they are a professional cook. i pay close attention to their answers, since they would be the presumed experts. (funny, that's the kind of butt kissing respect the "pros" that have left were looking for, i suspect).
in conjunction, a mom who has cooked for her family for years also has a lot to offer, and i pay those members the same attention.
i try to only post recipes that i have made successfully, aka tried and true recipes, and i will make a note if it is just some recipe that i cut out of somewhere, and haven't made it, yet. also, we do have some members that are beginner cooks, and simple recipes might just get them started into bigger and better things.
as far as the "how's your hair" threads, well, i see it as just the background conversations in a very full kitchen. i'm interested in some of it for fun, and don't worry about the rest. you can't spend every minute all day talking about how to make dogs and beans... :D
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:07 AM   #14
Executive Chef
Well said, Bucky.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:11 AM   #15
Senior Cook
Originally Posted by marmalady
I'm with MJ and DC here - Food IS life. It's a part of our lives, of sharing, of giving, and receiving, of doing for others, and reaping the harvest of the heart that food sows.

This site is so great because it DOES encompass all aspects of cooking - from the Campbell soup can casserole, to truffles and fois gras - I'm sure there are as many who don't like caviar as there are who don't like 'canned' recipes. The site provides an outlet for all. I don't think any of us should demean any style of cooking - we're all here to learn. Even the 'well seasoned' among us, and those of us with pro experience (yes, DC, there are a few! ) can learn new ingredients, techniques, and ways of doing things. The global aspects of the site are precious - we have folks from all over the world here, sharing their food and culture.

Perhaps the site is just not for you - some of us have 'tried' other sites, and found them not to be to our liking.
Marmalady, as usual, you have hit the nail right on the head. To learn. That is why I am here.
bev kile
Old 12-30-2004, 06:45 AM   #16
Executive Chef
Old 12-30-2004, 08:05 AM   #17
Senior Cook
Hi All

I'm actually glad this stimulated some conversation! I think in general the group of people here are warm and special and do care about eachother and are always there to lend an ear or some advise, both cooking and otherwise. I love that about this site. I thank those who have been there for me.

I have no problem with all levels of cooks and certainly have no problem giving advise and I am always up to learning..I certainly dont think I have all the answers.

I am not a professional cook and I dont care for snobby attitudes..I myself make the "stringbean casserole"...I just began to feel that this site was becoming more of a chat room..and less about cooking.
Please dont misunderstand I dont mind some general chit chat and I have posted some jokes as well and have tried to join in..but I kept looking below at the cooking threads and noone seemed to be there they were at the top just chatting away.

As I said if we want to make this a #1 cooking site..its not about voting everyday its about making this and keeping DC a quality site.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:06 AM   #18
Senior Cook
Once again although I logged in I wasn't..I'm not trying to hide my identity!!!!
Old 12-30-2004, 09:58 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
I'm still new here but, I have to say I really like the site just like it is.

I love the recipes and have cut and pasted many many of them but, I love the friendships that are growning even more! I love that there seems to be such a good mix of people... men, women, young old.. everyone seems to be welcomed. I love it.

Thanks for making me feel welcomed.

Trish :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
Old 12-30-2004, 08:52 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
hiya chez suz,

i understand your point, and thanks for trying to better the site, as it seems are your intentions. you have done that just by being stalwart enough in your opinion to raise a possibly unpopular thread. it is good when people see how we could be better to speak up, and not be afraid to voice an opinion. i applaud your honesty and courage.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
Closed Thread