"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements
Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 10:41 AM   #1
Senior Cook

This Topic Maybe Unpopular

When I first joined this Forum..I was looking forward to sharing quality information and recipes...lately I have noticed that people are spending more time in the General Catagory talking about topics that are not in the least bit relevant to food but seem to belong in a chat room...as an example..how you wear your hair....I have made some attempts at stimulating what I consider more quality topics..such as Your Best Homemade Dishes..or do you follow a recipe....At one pt I noticed that the topic of gas got more replies!
When I look below at the food topics there is barely a post of quality cooking...slopping mushroom soup over rice or orzo...wouldn't it be more interesting if you learned how to make your own mushroom soup to use?
I know and have noticed that we have lost some better cooks on this site...
My vote would be to get this site going with some more quality sharing and therefore learning.
I'm sure someoneone out there may say so don't come here anymore..but thats not the point..if we are striving to be #1 then lets make it a quality site that should be #1 not because people are voting everday.

Old 12-28-2004, 10:44 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I am not trying to hide my identity.....apparently I wasn't logged on.

I do however want to thank some very helpfulk and lovely people.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:27 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to RoboCop
Hello there, I am new to the forums and I can tell you I came to learn/discuss cooking and food, and chatting on the side is just a plus, it's not biggie, you'll have people coming all the time wanting to talk about food.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:34 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I think people have just been very busy over the holidays and things will pick up once the holiday frenzy settles down.

Personally speaking, I tend to post, check and hang out in the forums that especially interest me and don't normally check the "General Forums" so it might be helpful for you start threads in more specific forums.

I too am not terribly interested in recipes that call for tinned goods (soups or otherwise) but DC tries to be of use to cooks of all persuasions. While I have always gravitated to cooking "from scratch" (as do many other posters on this forum) I can, as a single mother who held a full-time job while raising two children, appreciate the ideas of those who want to get a tasty and reasonably nutritious meal on the table and can use prepared foods to their advantage.

I hope you continue to share your cooking expertise with us. If you also like other cooking forums I hope you will share those links with us also.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:03 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Heck, I'll add my 2 cents! This group does a great job responding with help whenever someone has a cooking dilemma. I also appreciate the format which tends toward a 'family style' discussion. We can talk about anything here (with a few exceptions) and want to come back for more. Losing members is always unfortunate but this group can't be everything to everyone. Very few people here claim to be professional and I suspect that the rest are lying. Anywho, that's my opinion, however unpopular it may be.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:34 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Just my 2 cents as a member -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
When I first joined this Forum..I was looking forward to sharing quality information and recipes...lately I have noticed that people are spending more time in the General Catagory talking about topics that are not in the least bit relevant to food but seem to belong in a chat room
You can go to the "Specific Chat and Recipes" section to get quality info and recipes. The general catagory doesn't take away from from that.

Many members consider us a big family. Without the General catagory I am afraid we would loose many members. I don't want to loose any of my friends I have met here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal
This group does a great job responding with help whenever someone has a cooking dilemma. I also appreciate the format which tends toward a 'family style' discussion. We can talk about anything here (with a few exceptions) and want to come back for more.
Thats what I think Damp. Thats why I stuck around when I joined. So many great people here. You can't find a better, more friendly community around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
If you also like other cooking forums I hope you will share those links with us also.
Please don't post any other cooking forum links here. You can always pm someone with these links. I don't make the rules here, I just help the site look and run smoothly along with the other site helpers. This is only only my opinion as a member.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:41 PM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

You took the words right out of my mouth MJ. Hey, that tickled!

:) Barbara
Old 12-29-2004, 08:03 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I'm with MJ and DC here - Food IS life. It's a part of our lives, of sharing, of giving, and receiving, of doing for others, and reaping the harvest of the heart that food sows.

This site is so great because it DOES encompass all aspects of cooking - from the Campbell soup can casserole, to truffles and fois gras - I'm sure there are as many who don't like caviar as there are who don't like 'canned' recipes. The site provides an outlet for all. I don't think any of us should demean any style of cooking - we're all here to learn. Even the 'well seasoned' among us, and those of us with pro experience (yes, DC, there are a few! ) can learn new ingredients, techniques, and ways of doing things. The global aspects of the site are precious - we have folks from all over the world here, sharing their food and culture.

Perhaps the site is just not for you - some of us have 'tried' other sites, and found them not to be to our liking.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:15 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

This site, to me, is like a big family.

We get to know each other's tastes.
We send specific recipes to folks, via the forum.
We care about each other.
We comment on recipes.
We add our 2 cents and ask for others' opinions.
We know that we'll get help when we need it.
We lift each other up, & don't knock each other down.
We can act silly together.
I would stick my neck out for each member here.

Maybe you should get a username & join for real -
it's actually a great place to be.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:48 PM   #10
DC Grandma

A lot of us feel the way you do Jkath..I for one do not post a lot of recipes because we don't do much in the way of cooking anymore.
I would never leave this site willingley..they will have to pry my hands off the keys but I don't think I'll let them have my mouse..LOL
Marge~Dove

Walk towards the Sunshine and the Shadows will fall behind you!
Closed Thread