To Whom Do I Complain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dell is the main culprit.

I can't change browsers here at work. We have to use only what they install for everyone. And they don't use Firefox.

Same here. It is at the top of the page and it opens and closes by it self taking up up to almost half a page when open, and maybe just an inch or less when it closes all by it self.

And I hate fire fox, and anyway this is work pc I cannot dowload anything on it.

One thing you could try, June, is to uninstall and reinstall Firefox and then install your add ons again. I had to do that a couple of times in the beginning when I tried out add ons that didn't do what I wanted them to do.

One of the things about Firefox is that it rarely will allow you to delete an add on. You can disable it, but not get rid of it completely.

The only ads I see are those the come up from some recipe newsletters and you have to close them before you can see the recipe you clicked on. Those, I couldn't get AdBlocker to block, probably because they are attached to the site somehow. They don't roll around, though.

Last edited:
Zhizara, if you go to your Tools, check the Extensions and it should say Disable or Uninstall the add on.

Check out this add-on for the Adblock to get rid of the text ads. Hopefully that will help you with that recipe site Zhizara.

Zhizara, if you go to your Tools, check the Extensions and it should say Disable or Uninstall the add on.

But often it won't uninstall is what I meant. I tried, but it just ignores me, (grayed out), so I just disable them.

Check out this add-on for the Adblock to get rid of the text ads. Hopefully that will help you with that recipe site Zhizara.

I added this. I'll let you know if it works when I get another newsletter that has this. Thanks!

Last edited:
WEIRD! (the uninstall thing!) And I hope it helps!

When all else fails, that is my first go to solution.

If that doesn't work then a more drastic measure is to use system restore to take the computer back before the problem occurred. It means losing any downloads and changes that were made between the restore point and current settings, but not to documents. I've had to do this occasionally when certain automatic updates caused the computer to act hinky.

Did you suggest the AdBlocker add-on to June? Sounds like it might fix her problem too.

I just pulled up a newsletter I had saved previously that had one of those big ads and tried to use the add-on. I was able to delete parts of it, but not all of it, and ended up with a sliver that had nothing on it, including the "close" button. I still couldn't eliminate the whole thing, nor could I get to the recipe underneath it.

This is a common problem I have with Firefox add-ons. They don't give you instructions on how to use it. There must be something I'm missing. They show lots and lots of people use them and give them high ratings.

How do you use it, Alix? HELP!

Last edited:
Zhizara, I don't have that particular one added on. Sorry! When you install an add-on it gives you a recommendation to accept. I always accept them rather than attempting to customize them. Can you try to either uninstall, then reinstall and accept the recommendation of sites to block or to Google the instructions?

Nah, I'll just uninstall it if it will let me, or disable it if it won't. I only get these on a couple of recipe sites, and I know where they've hidden the "close" button. It's not a big deal.

I'm wondering about the ad June is talking about, though. I've never had an ad at all on DC since AndyM (I think) turned me onto AdBlocker. Don't they have to pay DC for ads on the site?

BTW, whoever(s) set up this site did a really spectacular job. This is so easy to use. I'd list all the things I like about it, but it would take all day. Big pats on the back for everyone involved.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom