"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 11-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
To Whom Do I Complain

about those AWFUL roll-over ads that roll over all by themselves, and then, just while you're reading down where the ad has thrown you, it rolls back up and the page goes flying!

I realize ads are essential to the success of the site, but those roll-over ads are distracting. They make me want to roll over to another site that doesn't employ them.

PLEASE, HELP!

Old 11-29-2010, 04:09 PM   #2
Everymom

June, what browser are you using? If you want to get rid of them entirely, switch to Firefox and install the Adblocker app. It will solve it all and make you MUCH happier.

Failing that, can you drop the URL of the ad that bugs you in this thread? I don't know if we can do anything about it, but we can try.

Old 11-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #3
Head Chef

They are the banner ads at the top... flash player ads, no URL I can find.
VERY VERY bothersome indeed.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Everymom

OK, how about describing what the ads are for? I don't see them so I can't help get rid of them. Help me out here so I have something to work with.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
Executive Chef

I have no problems using Firefox and a cable connection.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
OK, how about describing what the ads are for? I don't see them so I can't help get rid of them. Help me out here so I have something to work with.
Dell is the main culprit.

I can't change browsers here at work. We have to use only what they install for everyone. And they don't use Firefox.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Everymom

I wondered if it was a work thing. OK, thanks June. I'll take this to the techies and see if anything can be done.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

yes it is dell. i don't want to switch to fox fire or whatever. it is very,very annoying. thought it was my mouse acting up.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:52 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post

I can't change browsers here at work. We have to use only what they install for everyone. And they don't use Firefox.
Would you be allowed to run a portable version of FireFox or Chrome from a USB key? Those wouldn't be installed on the computer, just on the key.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:52 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I hate IE with a passion but was curious about what you were seeing.

LOL ChefJune, I can see where that would freak you out. =P Dell is trying to be clever and takes over your mouse pointer as you roll it over their ad (it changes the mouse pointer to a finger ...). The annoying part is is that the mouse pointer doesn't get handed back to the browser properly when you roll it off of the ad. It gets stuck. Then you start flinging your mouse around quickly to figure out where the pointer is because it completely disappears for a bit of time. And pretty soon the browser gets control of the mouse pointer again but it was a bad hand off from the ad, so it tries to play catch up and ends up tossing you around the page. LOL Horrible description but true.

The good news is is that it only happens once per new page; once you get the flying annoying page bounce it won't happen again on that page. The bad news is that if you refresh a page or click onto a new page the same thing happens again.

This info width=0 height=0 style='position:absolute;left:0px;top:0px;'> is displayed above the ad.

/shrug

The only thing you can do to keep it from happening is if you make sure to immediately click somewhere safe (i.e. far far away from the evil ad area) on each new page you view. It's not a technical solution but it should help prevent you from getting sea-sick while reading the posts. And avoid venturing into the ad area at all with your mouse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dellad.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	9070  

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote