"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 02-17-2009, 06:11 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Andy....I just logged on with IE7...The site loaded default v2.0 --- The option was not there....I switched to v1.0 (still in IE7) and it WAS there.....
I did it just like UB said. I changed it to DiscussCooking v1.0 and saved the changes. The option then showed up at the bottom of the page. I then checked Turn off the right column and switched it back to default and now the right column is gone. Thanks UB!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Like the others, I'm seeing the "Turn off Right Column" option in the old skin in Firefox, IE, and AOL, but it isn't in the new skin in any of them. At least the change carries over from one skin to the other, though.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:06 PM   #13
Chief Eating Officer

Andy, is there a way to turn off the right column just within the threads? I love having the right column on the power users page, but do not like it within the threads themselves. I would not mind it so much in the threads if the width was the same as on the power users page.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I do love the right column but until it's back to its smaller state I do really appreciate the ability to turn it off.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Not sure what I did, I am back to blue screen that I can read. Aging eyes, ya know? I still have stuff on the right side of the screen, butr not the ads I was seeing. Much better, Thank YOu!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 PM   #16
Sous Chef

Site Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Andy R Send a message via AIM to Andy R Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Yahoo to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Andy, is there a way to turn off the right column just within the threads?
I will put this on the To Do list. I cannot give you an ETA at the moment but will think about how to do this and hopefully address this quite soon.

What do you think about these options:

Right Column:
Display On All Pages
Do not display on Threads/Discussions
Turn Off (all pages)

I think a lot of people like the right column on the forum listing pages but don't like it on the thread pages. That being said, if we switch to the above we can allow On/Off or just on the forum display (and portal).

Does the above sound logical? Do you have any other suggestions? (please remember a goal should be to keep it simple because if it gets too complex it's going to be difficult to maintain).
Old 02-17-2009, 11:32 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucia-mia View Post
Like the others, I'm seeing the "Turn off Right Column" option in the old skin in Firefox, IE, and AOL, but it isn't in the new skin in any of them. At least the change carries over from one skin to the other, though.
Yes... I just changed to the v1.0 skin, switched off the right column, then changed back t the new skin and the column is off.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:27 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I will put this on the To Do list. I cannot give you an ETA at the moment but will think about how to do this and hopefully address this quite soon.

What do you think about these options:

Right Column:
Display On All Pages
Do not display on Threads/Discussions
Turn Off (all pages)

I think a lot of people like the right column on the forum listing pages but don't like it on the thread pages. That being said, if we switch to the above we can allow On/Off or just on the forum display (and portal).

Does the above sound logical? Do you have any other suggestions? (please remember a goal should be to keep it simple because if it gets too complex it's going to be difficult to maintain).
I think those options would be great. I also think if the width of the side column could be cut in half or so then more people would want to use it.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #19
Assistant Cook

The option to turn off the right column is now working in both v1.0 & v2.0 of the Discuss Cooking skins.

You can get to this options from the UserCP >> Edit Options (or click here). It's at the very bottom of the page.

Ultimately I'd like to have it so you can define what you want in the sidebar (which recent posts, content, etc) but that is a ways away. I will have to digest and figure out how to setup a wide and skinny option for the side bar. Please be patient while I try to figure this out.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:30 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Julio
Hello,

I was wondering for this to work for me do i need to have a certain amount of post to be able to turn off the side bar? I can't see it in the edit options under miscellaneous box.