"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 08-12-2016, 08:19 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Uploading pictures

I know how to upload pictures but how can I resize them myself?

It seems that when letting the program resize them automatically some of them get turned sideways and I can't edit them to turn them back.

Thanks in advance!

oops, and a 2nd question,

as I am uploading them the pictures show up as very narrow, squished. This makes it very difficult to judge if I want to keep them. I have to go all the way back to the profile page and reopen them. Am I doing something wrong?

Old 08-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Images that appear sideways are usually taken on cell phones and while your phone rotates the image for your view, the forum software doesn't. The best solution is usually to use the photo editor on your device to rotate (and resize if needed) and resave.

Old 08-12-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
Sous Chef

Here is a great online image editor that might help:

Free Online Image Editor

Also, if you upload and then open your photos on your desktop, there is usually a small icon on the bottom of the page that will allow you to flip your photos.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #4
Head Chef

Try this. I use it...a lot. Free and wonderful. It works on the fly. It's not a program that gets installed.

https://postimage.org/

After you choose a picture file from your harddrive using PostImage, you can resize it before posting. BTW, choose Direct Link (the second option down the list) to have your picture show up here. Click on "Direct Link" and it will "copy" it. Then... "paste" it in your post.

I really like that free, on the fly thingy. Kudos to that org.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:55 PM   #5
Master Chef

Many of us here use Photobucket. It produces superior pictures for posting here and is super easy to use.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I take pics with my iPad or iPhone with their included app. So easy to post directly from that.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

It's easy to post from the camera app on Android phones, too - just click on the share icon and select which platform to share to. You can also post easily from the DC mobile app.

If you need an image editor for Android, I use Photo Director. Easy to use, lots of features.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:58 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Thanks everyone - soo much. I haven't had time to explore with them this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to during the coming week. LOL then you will all be inundated with pictures and wish you hadn't said anything..
Old 08-14-2016, 06:16 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
Thanks everyone - soo much. I haven't had time to explore with them this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to during the coming week. LOL then you will all be inundated with pictures and wish you hadn't said anything..
No way will that happen. We all LOVE pics!
Old 08-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
Sous Chef

As you can see... whether I change them on my computer or change them on the phone - it just does not work. So I can't really post any of my old pic taken by my phone...

I used to use photobucket when I was on another forum that was the exact same format as here - but photob has changed a bit over the years and I guess here doesn't have the same formula for pics. I'm a slow learner - maybe one day 'll get it.

Guess I'll just have to cook them all again and take more pictures with the phone camera in the proper direction!