"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 09-27-2007, 04:56 PM   #11
Master Chef

Wow - how did I miss that one??!!??? And I just happen to have all the ingredients on hand. Am thinking some plain grilled chicken breasts with this as a bedding will be terrific!!

(See - vegetarian dishes can work both ways. : ))

Old 09-27-2007, 05:02 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
To say "vegetarians are unwelcome here" is a bit harsh, don't you think? I really don't get your use of the term "weirdo" either. The only negative light shed on vegetarians so far at Discuss Cooking is your post.

The rice and bean dish you posted does have a home here - it's called Pasta, Rice, Grains, and Beans.

As for the Pesto - it could go several places. It could go under Sauces or Miscellaneous OR even Ethnic.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:07 PM   #13
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
I’ve been thinking about it, and I can’t think of one single vegetarian recipe that doesn’t fit into one of the categories already here. Some get confused about Tofu, but tofu is made from soybeans......a bean. As such, it fits under Pasta, Rice, Beans, Grains......

Am I missing something about vegetarian ingredients?

And what about a Deep Fat Fried Forum? We Southern Boys think everything is better fried! Does “redneck” classify as an Ethnicity?????
Old 09-27-2007, 05:28 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Little Penguin View Post
Point taken, but what I mean is... if a someone is looking for a vegetarian pasta sauce they gotta scour the "Sauces" forum, if you want to post your vegan cheesecake recipe most people in the "Desserts" forum probably won't try it, and so on. It's very fragmented.
You are correct, 99% of vegetarian cousine could go in other threads. It's food. Little Penguin's point is, though, is also very true. It's fragemented. A vegetarian forum would solve that. And it would probably not be at the expense of any other forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Being a vegetarian is a diet choice. Just as we do not have a low cal forum or a no carb forum or a raw food forum we do not have one solely for vegetarians.
It may be a diet choice, but it is also a cousine. The problem, though, is it's not an ethnic cousine. So it would get lost with Ethnic food. Most other foods (meat or ethnic or soups) have a natural place on the forum. Posters know where to post and where to go to brouse. This is not true with vegetarian food.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:41 PM   #15
Head Chef

I guess I’m missing something, but I figured vegetarians browsed DC the same as anyone else. You think of an ingredient, then you go to that forum and look for recipes. With carnivores, we think “I want chicken” and we go to the chicken thread. With Grillers & Smokers, we go to the Outdoor cooking forums. With vegetarian, I would have thought it was the same in that you pick an ingredient such as bean, tofu, lettuce, rice, mushroom, pasta, tomato, etc, and could go to that forum?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:44 PM   #16
Master Chef

Bravo Vihapti.

And has anyone taken the time to actually check out the "Miscellaneous" forum? You know, that forum that's supposed to contain "recipes not fitting anywhere else", but in reality just contains flotsam & jetsam that really belongs in other forums or in the OT forum?

What a worthless forum. I'd do something about that before giving vegetarians the shortshrift here.

And to the poster who implied that "meat-eaters" constitute the majority of the folks here & thus we who enjoy more vegetarian fare aren't "in the know" cuisine-wise? I'd really up my reading on current dining/cooking/eating trends. You're really out of sinc.

I'm not a vegetarian, & enjoy a good steak or lamb curry as much as the next person, but I'm also savvy & health-conscious enough to realize that it's infinititly important for us to experiment with other food choices besides meat to keep our diets in a healthy balance.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:47 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
And to the poster who implied that "meat-eaters" constitute the majority of the folks here & thus we who enjoy more vegetarian fare aren't "in the know" cuisine-wise? I'd really up my reading on current dining/cooking/eating trends. You're really out of sinc.
I just read this whole thread again........twice. And I'm not seeing where that was said. Is that from another thread or something?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #18
Master Chef

Keltin - the comment was made over on the "Forum Ideas & Help" forum. Sorry for not id'ing that.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:54 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltin View Post
I guess I’m missing something, but I figured vegetarians browsed DC the same as anyone else. You think of an ingredient, then you go to that forum and look for recipes. With carnivores, we think “I want chicken” and we go to the chicken thread. With Grillers & Smokers, we go to the Outdoor cooking forums. With vegetarian, I would have thought it was the same in that you pick an ingredient such as bean, tofu, lettuce, rice, mushroom, pasta, tomato, etc, and could go to that forum?
seems logical... that's what I do and I'm a vegetarian. Whenever I see a recipe post that has chicken in it or some other meat in it, I think about how I could use it w/o chicken or by substituting tofu or seitan or veggies.

I almost posted when this thread first came up, but refrained. I don't think we need a separate forum for vegetarians and vegans. But, is there a way to add more icons to the post icon choices? Maybe for recipes, there could be an icon indicating whether or not it's vegetarian?

healthyfoodie
healthyfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 05:56 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyfoodie View Post
seems logical... that's what I do and I'm a vegetarian. Whenever I see a recipe post that has chicken in it or some other meat in it, I think about how I could use it w/o chicken or by substituting tofu or seitan or veggies.
Or Portabello Mushrooms!!!