Vegetarian/vegan forum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think they had to ban it because you could pour gasoline on it and make napalm.

(How'd my tongue sticking out get into my/your quote? Odd.)

I thought it was a 'for a limited time special'. :ermm::LOL: So, you're anxious to share the recipe with us?, lol.

vyapti said:
After reading through this thread and one about raw food, it occurred to me that vegetarian's are unwelcome in the Discuss Cooking forum.

Huh? What, pray tell, does a discussion about cooking certain vegs to increase the available nutritional value, or safety, vs eating them raw have to do with being anti-vegan/vegetarian? FWIW - I always eat all of my veggies, I can't think of a veggie I don't like, and sometimes I eat an entire meal of only veggies!

With the exception of the "meat" forums ... the forums we have are applicable to recipes for both herbivores and carnivores. Don't look at our having "meat" forums as anti vegan/vegetarian - think of it as our way of accommodating our "knuckle dragging, inarticulate, slobbering and grunting" meat eaters.

Last edited:
I agree with The Little Penguin.
It makes vegetarian food seem boring, when it is put with special health diets and vegetables.
I make delicious vegetarian food, but am reluctant to read anything titled special diets or health food.

Mel

I have never seen anyone say anything negative on this site about vegetarians or their diets. Your words are the first I have ever seen putting them in a negative light.

I have seen a few GB. But nothing bad enough to report.
There are people who have a bee in their bonnets, about vegetarians.
But I suppose they can be ignored. People have a bee in their bonnets about quite a few things. Environmental activism, human rights activism, vegetarianism.... I dont know why people object to these things so much, because their are so many advantages to them.

OK folks - If someone has a question about where to post a vegetarian recipe please feel free to PM any of the Administrators. We will be glad to help. In the meantime, if a recipe could clearly go under another forum preface your title with the word - Vegetarian. It will make an Advanced Search a breeze!! It really will fix a lot of the issues here.

I think the tone of this thread, once resurrected again, took us all by surprise. No one here has ever given the impression that Discuss Cooking is anti-vegetarian or biased against vegetarians. That's really a silly statement and once it was put out there all sorts of defensive emotions surfaced - that's just human nature.

And Mel - I think the reason why people have a "bee in their bonnet" or object to things is because they don't understand and don't want to take the time to understand so they just spout off. It's shallow. Let's not jump in the shallow line with them.

None of us here are opposed to talking about anything when it comes to new forums. Like we said, we had a Vegetarian Forum. OK, it may have been grouped with the Vegetables but that was purely because in the format they fit together. We did not have a separate forum because most things could go somewhere else. We were asked to change it and we did. To put a vegetarian forum back will just take a lot of thought on our part - we don't just change the forums in a snap or on demand. There's some work that goes into it first.

vyapti - if you'll think about everything you've mentioned, it has a forum already. Even those things you mentioned with cinnamon - sounds like the Bread Forum would fit, doesn't it, or maybe the dessert/baking forum? We put a lot of thought and time into coming up with the forums we thought would benefit Discuss Cooking. To accused of being "bias" makes our backs arch a bit and doesn't exactly make us saddle up to an idea when we know we have tried to to our best in the past. That's also human nature.

If anyone has anything CONSTRUCTIVE to say please keep the discussion going.

My only contribution here is to say that this site is dedicated to food and cooking. ALL KINDS OF COOKING. To that end, we have worked very hard to come up with the forums and subforums as they are listed. We are not trying to slight anyone, in fact, we are attempting to make searching for things EASIER. Adding a Vegetarian forum would create some havoc and further splinter folks. If you have a recipe that is vegetarian, merely scan through the ingredients and see which is the most dominant. The Pasta, Rice, Grains and Beans forum was created that way to fill that need.

GB may not remember why the Vegetarian subforum was removed, but I do. The vegetarians in the membership at the time said it was redundant because of all the other forums they could use. And if you look through our forums you will see that we made them specific for that particular reason.

We sure don't want anyone to feel slighted, but that is not a good enough reason to reconstruct the boards and move hundreds of recipes. Sorry guys! I'm sure that isn't the answer you wanted.

How about a "Meatless Protein" section? Would that address the issue?

You could keep a "Pasta, Rice, and Other Grains" section, while recipes that feature beans, tofu, seitan and the like would henceforth go into the "Meatless Protein" subforum.

Just a thought....:ermm:

ETA: I'm sure there are whole forums devoted exclusively to vegetarian and vegan cooking, which might be better places for the OP to conduct recipe searches.

Also, in a perfect universe, where site administrators had all the time in the world to devote to their DC administrative duties, the "Health, Nutrition and Special Diets" might be further broken down into subforums including "Vegetarian", "Vegan", "Raw", "Wheat-Free", "Sugar-Free/Diabetic" and "Other". But we don't, of course, live in a perfect universe.

So...If you follow a restricted diet, you will probably have better luck finding recipes that suit your needs on forums devoted to those special diets.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom