Vegetarian/vegan forum?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I feel confident I'm correct when I say everybody eats vegetable dishes. They are not exclusive to vegetarians.

What would be in a vegetarian forum that would be of interest only to vegetarians? We have a vegetables forum. It covers the topic of cooking vegetable dishes.

As to the fragmentation issue, that's a fact of life for most of the forums. A beef dish could be in the beef forum, soups, stews, ethnic, outdoor cooking. etc. There can't be unification.

A title can always contain the word Vegetarian in it followed by the recipe, just like we do ISO or REC or TNT

Vegetarian: Black Beans and Rice
Vegetarian: Cheese Ravioli with Pesto

That's what titles are all about - put something in the title that you know you would search for if you were searching our site. This was a good point to bring up. Icons wouldn't help during searching but something in the title would definitely be good!

The reason we haven't put in a forum as such is because, like someone said, most recipes fall under another category.

I can't believe you're really that obtuse Andy M. "Everybody eats vegetable dishes"? What rock have you been living under for the last 20 years or so? LOL!!!!

The difference in a "Vegetarian" forum, is that all or the majority of dishes provide complete proteins via vegetable sources - thus providing the same nutrients normally provided by a meat & veggie dinner. That's a very simplistic version, but I'm hoping you got it since you're obviously way WAY behind the times. Vegetarian dishes - & high-level cuisine vegetarian dishes - have been around for a long long time. : )

Last edited:
If there were a vegetarian forum, where would recipes like “Penne with Zucchini”, “Brown Rice Pilaf”, or “Portobello Stir-fry” go? None of those dishes have meat, so do they go under vegetarian, or under the Pasta / Beans / Vegetable forums?

If I wanted to post a recipe for a pasta salad made with pasta, peas, olives, and an herb pesto (no meat), where does it go? Vegetarian or Pasta?

With dishes like this, isn’t it decided by the inclination of the poster/author and not the dish since the dish is inherently vegetarian? Isn’t it possible that non-vegetarians could miss out on some great pasta/bean/grain recipes since they wouldn’t think to look in a vegetarian forum for a recipe?

I like the title tag idea myself (put Vegetarian in the title). I’ve become very dependent on the Title Search feature here at DC!

The interesting thing is that we used to have a vegetarian forum. It is what is now known as the vegetable forum. we had vegetarians complain to us that having a forum called vegetarian was not cool with them (I forget the actual reason as it was a while ago), so we really can't win. We have a vegetarian forum and we are asked by the vegetarians to remove it. We don't have one and we are told we are unfriendly to vegetarians because we don't have one.

If you think the site would benefit from a vegetarian forum then look at the vegetable forum. 90% of what what posted in there was posted when it was a vegetarian forum.

As I said before, true vegetarian dishes comprise vegetable components that make complete proteins for those that follow a vegetarian diet. Dishes that just contain vegetables &/or pasta/grains easily go elsewhere.

There are many vegetarian/vegan dishes that don't fit anywhere else here, provide complete nutritional proteins, & are worth singling out in a forum easy to access.

Last edited:
Sigh. Keltin this really shouldn't be that difficult to understand.

As I said before, true vegetarian dishes comprise vegetable components that make complete proteins for those that follow a vegetarian diet. Dishes that just contain vegetables &/or pasta/grains easily go elsewhere. What's the big problem?

There are many vegetarian/vegan dishes that don't fit anywhere else here, provide complete nutritional proteins, & are worth singling out in a forum easy to access.

I'm amused by your assumption that dishes posted in the other forums we have mentioned can't or aren't nutritionally complete! LOL

When you have a minute, please post a vegan or vegetarian recipe (or a link) that doesn't fit into an existing forum. (oops, almost forgot,
:) )

There are separate forums or sub forums for Beef, Lamb, Pork, Game and even a separate one for Veal. Is anyone willing to even recognize a bias?

There is a bias. There are separate forums or sub forums for Beef, Lamb, Pork, Game and even a separate one for Veal. That's fine. But, there's also a missing component in the world of cooking. Vegetarian is a category that exists on most recipe sites and it doesn't exist here.

. . . so we really can't win. We have a vegetarian forum and we are asked by the vegetarians to remove it.

I don't understand why this is an us against them thing. From what I remember about the "add an Herb forum" discussion, it involved cordial discourse. This discussion does not seem cordial to me.
If there were a vegetarian forum, where would recipes like “Penne with Zucchini”, “Brown Rice Pilaf”, or “Portobello Stir-fry” go?
In the vegetarian forum. And I promise I'll post some deep fried stuff;)

And why would Penne with Zucchini not fit in the pasta forum? Why would Brown Rice Pilaf not go in the Rice forum?

Yes we have separate forums for beef, chicken, and veal. Where is the bias? There are plenty of places for vegetarian recipes as well.

This has nothing to do with "us against them". I am not even sure who is the "us" and who is the "them. Like I said, we used to have a vegetarian forum and we were yelled at by vegetarians to remove it. Now we are getting the opposite.

And Breezy, if you really think that just by naming a forum "vegetarian" that you are going to get people only posting nutritionally complete meals then I challenge you to look in the vegetable forum to see how many you see in there. As I said before, 90% of those posts were made when that WAS the vegetarian forum.

Taco Bell used to sell a sort of styrofoam with cinnamon sort of thing. I'm not sure where I would post that.

There are separate forums or sub forums for Beef, Lamb, Pork, Game and even a separate one for Veal. Is anyone willing to even recognize a bias?

There is a bias. There are separate forums or sub forums for Beef, Lamb, Pork, Game and even a separate one for Veal. That's fine. But, there's also a missing component in the world of cooking. Vegetarian is a category that exists on most recipe sites and it doesn't exist here.

But those are just ingredients! Same as a vegetarian Black Bean and Rice, or vegetarian Eggplant Lasagna. Those two dishes have Beans or Pasta as the ingredient. I’m just kind of lost as to what the difference is. Healthyfoodie mentioned using seitan. I’ve never heard of that, and I can see how that doesn’t fit anywhere else. But tofu is a bean.

Also, what would happen in a vegetarian forum? Wouldn’t it be chaos without having sub folders? I mean, Biscuits are vegetarian. So is cake, brownies, French fries, and a Bloody Mary.

Either way, I don’t have a horse in this race. I’m just curious as to what would make it different. Besides using seitan, I’ve not seen anything that doesn’t fit elsewhere. But still, it doesn’t matter to me! I come to DC nearly everyday and simply hit “New Posts” and it pulls up everyone that I haven’t seen since my last visit. So, 99% of the time, as I’m reading and responding to posts, I don’t know where they are on DC. Heck, I just had to double check and find out that THIS thread is in the Forum Help area!

Sometimes I search a particular forum based on the ingredient, but most often if I’m looking for something, I use the Search Title function.

I kind of see the point if we think about methodology. There are many ways to cook ribs, but one method is to grill or smoke, and that method has it’s own forum. I’m newly into outdoor DO cooking, and even though my recipes would fit into beef, chicken, soups, etc, I put them in the Outdoor Cooking DO forums because that is the method I’m using. From that line of thinking, I kind of see the point.

And I look forward to your deep fried recipes!!!!! :LOL:

My 2 cents...

I would post the recipe under Health/Nutrition/Special Diets (includes vegan etc.) catagory - that already exists on this site, & label same vegan/vegetarian.

For whatever it's worth, here's the definition (as it sometimes confuses me as well):

Vegetarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My 2 cents...

I would post the recipe under Health/Nutrition/Special Diets (includes vegan etc.)

Holy rusted metal Batman! I didn’t even know that forum existed. It even specifies Vegan.

I think the dark-side of my deep fat-fried mentality disallowed my eyes from recognizing that forum was there!!!! :LOL:

Wasn't it Hank Jr. that said "A country boy can Deep Fry"?!?!?!?!?! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Holy rusted metal Batman! I didn’t even know that forum existed. It even specifies Vegan.

I think the dark-side of my deep fat-fried mentality disallowed my eyes from recognizing that forum was there!!!! :LOL:

Wasn't it Hank Jr. that said "A country boy can Deep Fry"?!?!?!?!?! :ROFLMAO:

:LOL: We better keep our deep-fried twinkies out of there. :ohmy:

Taco Bell used to sell a sort of styrofoam with cinnamon sort of thing. I'm not sure where I would post that.

vyapti, I think I remember that... wasn't it a dessert? Sure was good.

------------------

So... would now be a good time to ask if we can have a topic under Desserts/Baked goods called:

Souffle/Mousse/Flan/Pudding/Custard
(also includes foam :-p)

Back
Top Bottom