"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 11-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Master Chef

So when I click on my name I see the area to post a message, but who is going to see that message, or how do I send visitor message to somebody? And I guess people have been visiting me also, I had no idea.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #12
Certified Cake Maniac

Another item to mention is that if you want to reply to someone's Visitor message, don't use the text box above it or you will be posting on your own page. I found you could either click on the "view conversation" link in the post or, click on the person's name to be taken to their page.

Though I do sometimes have moments where I forget and put it on my own!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:36 PM   #13
Master Chef

Ugg - I think that's exactly what I've been doing!!! Replying on my own page. Why did this board have to become so friggin complicated!!!! It was fine as it was!!! A "Friends" function that virtually means nothing. The profile page where messages are just as public as they are on the regular board. And is there a separate "Friends" page? I don't know. And PM's. What, exactly, is the point of all this nonsense????

Edited to add that I doubt very few folks here, along with me, even have a vaguest CLUE about any of this stuff. Where is it all listed & described in detail in the FAQ's?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:48 PM   #14
Master Chef

Breezy, I am with you, I had no idea we have so much stuff here, but I kind of like it, just need to figure out how it works.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
So when I click on my name I see the area to post a message, but who is going to see that message, or how do I send visitor message to somebody? And I guess people have been visiting me also, I had no idea.
Who is going to see that message is anybody who clicks on your name and visits that page. Like if you wanted to say: Hey, I'm outta here for a couple weeks...... then when folks start wondering where you went, they will eventually visit your page and see your message. I think of it like a bulletin board.

You canot send someone a visitor message. You need to find that person's page (like by finding a post of theirs and clicking on their name, and then you can post a visitor message on their page. The only thing you can send without having a person's email addy is a PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #16
Everymom

Hmmm. Seems there is more confusion than I thought.

FAQs - Oops! We'll get that added in there. Sorry. Totally missed that one.

As to people viewing your profile page, I'm not sure why that would be a bad thing amy. Folks read a post you've made and want to see what you're about. Its up to you how much info you put on your profile page, so if you want less rather than more, that option is available. As for things being opened or closed, things just return to the default when you leave that screen. No one goes in there and snoops. No one else can look at your Karma comments etc.

I personally visit profile pages quite often in the course of a day, just in the way I navigate the site.

So, to clarify. The stuff on your Profile page is visible to everyone, so be judicious in what you put out there and what you post in Visitor Messages. The stuff you send via PM is completely private. Your karma comments are private. Admins can help you adjust things on your profile (getting rid of subscription notices etc) but we can't see everything. I'd sure like to be that omniscient and omnipresent but I'm just not. Darn it all!

Old 11-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

There had also been some confusion about how to reply to Visitor Messages. Many members have just been replying in the reply box. Unfortunately, this only replied to their own messages. The reply box has now been removed to avoid that problem.

If you want to reply to someone who has sent you a Visitor Message, just click "View Conversation" in that person's message. Then you will be able to reply in the reply box in their Visitor Messages.

As far as checking someone's profile, I do the same as Alix. Sometimes I want to find a specific recipe someone posted but am not sure where it is or what it was called, so I will check their profile to see posts they have made. I might check to see if a member is a male or female (sometimes helpful before making some replies), and other reasons. And as Alix said, we cannot see anyone else's PMs and we cannot see anything you do not want us to see.

Barbara
Old 11-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Am I correct that if you have picture galleries, a visit to someone's profile page is a way to see the galeries?

I do understand privacy concerns. I have seen reasons posted on this site for not giving out information that I never thought of before.

As a 45 year veteran of the computer business, I know that you don't post anything that you do not want anyone to know. Cut and paste has gotten a lot of private things to be not so private. I really don't have anything on my profile page that is sensative. I post my city and state and AIM. I haven't had any DC'ers at my door yet, if you come please bring enough food to share. LOL

I am kind of on the fence with visitor messages. They seem like nothing more than another way to do things that we can already do. Have I missed something? It two people want to have a conversation PM's work better anyway. Although the 50 message quota is a bit small. Especially if you have been given some good recipies.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:26 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adillo303 View Post
Am I correct that if you have picture galleries, a visit to someone's profile page is a way to see the galeries?

I do understand privacy concerns. I have seen reasons posted on this site for not giving out information that I never thought of before.

As a 45 year veteran of the computer business, I know that you don't post anything that you do not want anyone to know. Cut and paste has gotten a lot of private things to be not so private. I really don't have anything on my profile page that is sensative. I post my city and state and AIM. I haven't had any DC'ers at my door yet, if you come please bring enough food to share. LOL

I am kind of on the fence with visitor messages. They seem like nothing more than another way to do things that we can already do. Have I missed something? It two people want to have a conversation PM's work better anyway. Although the 50 message quota is a bit small. Especially if you have been given some good recipies.
I have and they do

And I agree with that whole bottom paragraph.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:42 PM   #20
Master Chef

Thank you. I think got it now.