What are these for?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Those are "tags". HTML is the language used to write web pages and the tags have different meanings. There are also other programming languages used in the site like PHP.
[/quote will appear around any text you want to quote in your reply. It will contain the name of the original poster and a number which relates to the original post, as well as all the information needed to format the quote blue, etc.

This is just general information because I don't administer this site; however having been a web developer for over 10 years I thought I would help you out a bit. For a more in depth answer as to how you use them in this particular site, one of the admins will have to answer.

No such thing as a computer moron. Consider yourself mildly computer challenged. The best thing if you are unsure of the codes is to not touch them - they (the codes) know what to do!

mudbug - if you want to quote someone and you can't just click on the Quote button in their post because you are quoting a different thread, let's say, you can highlight the area you want to quote and copy it. Then, go to where you want to paste it and paste. Like this:

cleaning out the fridge leftovers tonight........

That was copied from your dinner thread but like that, no one knows it's a quote - so to make it a quote copy it, highlight it, and click on the Quote icon (looks like writing on a page but with that little thing like in cartoons showing someone is saying something.

Make sure your cursor is at the end again before you start typing. BUT WAIT! No one knows who the quote is from - so just after the first word Quote but right before the closing bracket type an equal sign = and then the name with NO SPACES BEFORE OR AFTER.

So, this is what it would look like
mudbug said:
then the closing quote is already at the end, which commands it to stop quoting so you get:
mudbug said:

:)

But what is Wrap [PHP} , Wrap
Code:
 and Wrap [HTML]do? the icon's are right next to the quote icon. What do each of them do?

I don't see any of those. In the lower right corner of posts I see Buttons for EDIT and QUOTE and Icons for 'Multi-Quote This Message' and 'Quick Reply To This Message'.

Those buttons are used to prevent what we call Live Links-Clickable links.

It is called coding your links .... ;)

Just curious - why would one not want to create a live link?

There are some circumstances when you wouldn't want a live or clickable link, and coding it using either the code tag# or html tags<> prevents the link from being clickable.

So, I'm going to practice..

Now I'll post and see what happens.

I still can't figure out why I can't get colored ink anymore, though.

I can't figure out why either. I like using colored ink, I can find my post easier and read from there. It keeps me having to go through so many posts to find where I left off. AND I just like colored ink. Anyone in administration know why we can't get it anymore???

I can't figure out why either. I like using colored ink, I can find my post easier and read from there. It keeps me having to go through so many posts to find where I left off. AND I just like colored ink. Anyone in administration know why we can't get it anymore???

I don't know but if colored fonts have been disabled I'm glad.

Many times a poster will choose a font and/ or color because they like the look or for their own convenience with the unintended consiquence of making reading the post more difficult on the viewer.

Out of courtesy for people reading my posts I leave colors at default and use sans serif (usually default) fonts.

Incidentally, I believe vBullitin uses UUB Code. UUB closely resembles HTML but there are slight differences.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom