"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

It is easy to stay safe luvs. The easiest way is to just post a link to the recipe instead of copying and pasting the recipe. Posting a link to it is perfectly acceptable.

The other way to stay safe is just re-write the recipe in your own words. The way I do this to ensure I am changing it enough is I will read the recipe through a few times and then, without looking at the recipe I will write it down in my own words. I will then read back over both to make sure they are different enough.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
Master Chef

awesome. i could post my school recipes. i've posted 1 so far.

Old 07-22-2009, 09:46 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
awesome. i could post my school recipes. i've posted 1 so far.
luvs - if you are unsure you can always send the original AND your re-written one to GB, myself, Alix, or a mod. We'll compare the two and make sure there are no issues.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #14
Master Chef

all the recipes i post now are my recipes are my own. usually inspired by family. i try to include pics at the time of post or as soon as the next time i make it.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:16 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
luvs - if you are unsure you can always send the original AND your re-written one to GB, myself, Alix, or a mod. We'll compare the two and make sure there are no issues.
thanks, elf!
Old 07-22-2009, 12:18 PM   #16
Senior Cook

I should just take a pic of the 3x5 recipe card I have instead of typing it in a recipe format on here, that way it erases any thought of copyright infringement. I have so many recipes from different sources through the years, I don't know where they come from. There's a whole bookshelf behind me full of cookbooks that I've pulled from as well as internet recipes I, or DW, have written down and have forgotten the origins. I don't want to step on toes by claiming them to be "ours", I just don't know whose they are Usually though, if it has made it to the 3x5 card, it has been tried and adjusted to our tastes and has become "ours".
Old 07-22-2009, 12:27 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
I should just take a pic of the 3x5 recipe card I have instead of typing it in a recipe format on here, that way it erases any thought of copyright infringement. I have so many recipes from different sources through the years, I don't know where they come from. There's a whole bookshelf behind me full of cookbooks that I've pulled from as well as internet recipes I, or DW, have written down and have forgotten the origins. I don't want to step on toes by claiming them to be "ours", I just don't know whose they are Usually though, if it has made it to the 3x5 card, it has been tried and adjusted to our tastes and has become "ours".
freefallin - if the verbiage is identical to that copied from the internet it's still copyright infringement. I know...it's a pain. A simple Google search by recipe name should send you to the recipe if it is out there. You can do an advanced search with a key phrase from the recipe...sometimes that helps. I've got tons of recipes I got off the internet and don't have a clue where I got them. I'm very careful now to change the method drastically. You can easily determine key phrases that need to be changed. If you ever have any questions please feel free to ask any of us that "work" here. Yes, once you have changed it up to suit your tastes and that is reflected in the method then it is most definitely yours!!!

luvs - you're welcome!

Old 07-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #18
Head Chef

It is interesting that for most recipe searches on the internet, the first 5 recipes are usually identical, even on different sites.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillingFool View Post
It is interesting that for most recipe searches on the internet, the first 5 recipes are usually identical, even on different sites.
There's a LOT of that I notice too! I was so excited one time to find different recipes for something I was searching for. ALL of the recipes were identical - LOL It's kind of annoying!

Old 07-22-2009, 04:30 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
freefallin - if the verbiage is identical to that copied from the internet it's still copyright infringement. I know...it's a pain. A simple Google search by recipe name should send you to the recipe if it is out there. You can do an advanced search with a key phrase from the recipe...sometimes that helps. I've got tons of recipes I got off the internet and don't have a clue where I got them. I'm very careful now to change the method drastically. You can easily determine key phrases that need to be changed. If you ever have any questions please feel free to ask any of us that "work" here. Yes, once you have changed it up to suit your tastes and that is reflected in the method then it is most definitely yours!!!

luvs - you're welcome!

I don't normally research recipes i already have, seems a little redundant to me. I just did for one of mine that I posted not long ago, Aunt Fannie's Dinner, and could point out that the same dinner pops up on a variety of websites from different owners and they all sound the same ... who do I submit is the original who gets the credit? I also have things like Stuffed Green Peppers ... good luck on finding the owner on that one too. I bet you I could find a few different websites with the same verbiage, but ours is a family recipe. I think this copyright business is a fine line, who can say the original owner of it is?