"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Forum Admin: Tech Support & Announcements

Old 06-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
Senior Cook

When is it OK to post someone else's recipe?

I'd love some clarification on when it's safe/legal to post a recipe. For instance, what if a local restaurant has a signature dish for which they readily share the recipe? Or if they share it in the local newspaper because a reader requested it? Or if a grocery store puts it in an ad so that you'll buy the ingredients from them? Or if it's from a community cookbook like the Junior League?
In instances like these, is it OK for me to post the recipe here on DC??

Any rules or clarifications would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Everymom

Hi Laury, if there is no copyright notice on it then it should be OK to post. The basic information is that if there is a copyright notice anywhere on the recipe or in the book, on the website etc we can't print it here verbatim.

So...newspaper...yes. Recipe from grocery store...yes. Junior league or other community cookbook...check the copyright stuff.

What CAN happen though is you can print the ingredient list (which cannot be copyright) and then put in your own method and describe your changes. (It must be significantly different from the original. Not just doing things like replacing the word "stir" with "mix")

You CANNOT post a copyright recipe and then just give credit.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
Master Chef

i don't post many recipes as YET as CHEFS got upset when i requeseted to, from school!
Old 06-14-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Laury, if the recipe is online somewhere you can always post a link.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:29 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Laury -

I just wanted to point out that it would not hurt to ask them if you could, and let them know that you will be referencing them as the originator/owner of the recipe.

If it's a restaurant, and their recipe is posted on their web site or elsewhere, chances are they'd like the free advertising.

Bob
Old 06-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
Laury -

I just wanted to point out that it would not hurt to ask them if you could, and let them know that you will be referencing them as the originator/owner of the recipe.

If it's a restaurant, and their recipe is posted on their web site or elsewhere, chances are they'd like the free advertising.

Bob
Yes, you must get their written permission to re-post. I have found that some websites will give permission as long as there is a link back to their site. Others are link only!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Thanks everyone! That helps a lot. I was mainly referring to recipes I've clipped out of the newspaper over the years and recipes given out by restaurants (some now defunct).
I'll be careful to look for copyright info and rewrite if necessary.
I guess this means I can post a recipe for Dill Pickle soup now. Watch for it in the Soup forum. It's amazingly good and so different!
Old 07-20-2009, 08:32 AM   #8
Master Chef

I rarely post a recipe, and when it is strictly my own, well, who am I kidding, I almost never use a recipe as is. But when I do, I always make a point of noting the cookbook I am using as a basis. I don't know if it keeps me safe from law suits or such. I've done the same with beadwork when I was doing that a lot. "This is from XXXXX, when it is exact. So far that has stood me well. Even a "XXXX inspired this recipe."
Old 07-20-2009, 08:36 AM   #9
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
But when I do, I always make a point of noting the cookbook I am using as a basis. I don't know if it keeps me safe from law suits or such.
Well if you post the recipe in your own words then you are safe, but if you post the recipe as it was written in the cookbook (or even somewhat close to the way it was written) then noting the cookbook it came from not only does not keep you safe from lawsuits, but actually does the opposite. It proves that you posted copyrighted material and that can be used in a court of law to show you knew you were posting something that was not yours in violation of copyright law.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Master Chef

that's why i barely post recipes. too much potential hassle.