When is it OK to post someone else's recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laury

Senior Cook
I'd love some clarification on when it's safe/legal to post a recipe. For instance, what if a local restaurant has a signature dish for which they readily share the recipe? Or if they share it in the local newspaper because a reader requested it? Or if a grocery store puts it in an ad so that you'll buy the ingredients from them? Or if it's from a community cookbook like the Junior League?
In instances like these, is it OK for me to post the recipe here on DC??

Any rules or clarifications would be most welcome.

Thanks!

Hi Laury, if there is no copyright notice on it then it should be OK to post. The basic information is that if there is a copyright notice anywhere on the recipe or in the book, on the website etc we can't print it here verbatim.

So...newspaper...yes. Recipe from grocery store...yes. Junior league or other community cookbook...check the copyright stuff.

What CAN happen though is you can print the ingredient list (which cannot be copyright) and then put in your own method and describe your changes. (It must be significantly different from the original. Not just doing things like replacing the word "stir" with "mix")

You CANNOT post a copyright recipe and then just give credit.

i don't post many recipes as YET as CHEFS got upset when i requeseted to, from school!

Laury -

I just wanted to point out that it would not hurt to ask them if you could, and let them know that you will be referencing them as the originator/owner of the recipe.

If it's a restaurant, and their recipe is posted on their web site or elsewhere, chances are they'd like the free advertising.

Bob

Laury -

I just wanted to point out that it would not hurt to ask them if you could, and let them know that you will be referencing them as the originator/owner of the recipe.

If it's a restaurant, and their recipe is posted on their web site or elsewhere, chances are they'd like the free advertising.

Bob

Yes, you must get their written permission to re-post. I have found that some websites will give permission as long as there is a link back to their site. Others are link only! :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone! That helps a lot. I was mainly referring to recipes I've clipped out of the newspaper over the years and recipes given out by restaurants (some now defunct).
I'll be careful to look for copyright info and rewrite if necessary.
I guess this means I can post a recipe for Dill Pickle soup now. Watch for it in the Soup forum. It's amazingly good and so different!

I rarely post a recipe, and when it is strictly my own, well, who am I kidding, I almost never use a recipe as is. But when I do, I always make a point of noting the cookbook I am using as a basis. I don't know if it keeps me safe from law suits or such. I've done the same with beadwork when I was doing that a lot. "This is from XXXXX, when it is exact. So far that has stood me well. Even a "XXXX inspired this recipe."

But when I do, I always make a point of noting the cookbook I am using as a basis. I don't know if it keeps me safe from law suits or such.
Well if you post the recipe in your own words then you are safe, but if you post the recipe as it was written in the cookbook (or even somewhat close to the way it was written) then noting the cookbook it came from not only does not keep you safe from lawsuits, but actually does the opposite. It proves that you posted copyrighted material and that can be used in a court of law to show you knew you were posting something that was not yours in violation of copyright law.

It is easy to stay safe luvs. The easiest way is to just post a link to the recipe instead of copying and pasting the recipe. Posting a link to it is perfectly acceptable.

The other way to stay safe is just re-write the recipe in your own words. The way I do this to ensure I am changing it enough is I will read the recipe through a few times and then, without looking at the recipe I will write it down in my own words. I will then read back over both to make sure they are different enough.

awesome. i could post my school recipes. i've posted 1 so far.

luvs - if you are unsure you can always send the original AND your re-written one to GB, myself, Alix, or a mod. We'll compare the two and make sure there are no issues.

all the recipes i post now are my recipes are my own. usually inspired by family. i try to include pics at the time of post or as soon as the next time i make it.

I should just take a pic of the 3x5 recipe card I have instead of typing it in a recipe format on here, that way it erases any thought of copyright infringement. I have so many recipes from different sources through the years, I don't know where they come from. There's a whole bookshelf behind me full of cookbooks that I've pulled from as well as internet recipes I, or DW, have written down and have forgotten the origins. I don't want to step on toes by claiming them to be "ours", I just don't know whose they are :) Usually though, if it has made it to the 3x5 card, it has been tried and adjusted to our tastes and has become "ours".

I should just take a pic of the 3x5 recipe card I have instead of typing it in a recipe format on here, that way it erases any thought of copyright infringement. I have so many recipes from different sources through the years, I don't know where they come from. There's a whole bookshelf behind me full of cookbooks that I've pulled from as well as internet recipes I, or DW, have written down and have forgotten the origins. I don't want to step on toes by claiming them to be "ours", I just don't know whose they are :) Usually though, if it has made it to the 3x5 card, it has been tried and adjusted to our tastes and has become "ours".

freefallin - if the verbiage is identical to that copied from the internet it's still copyright infringement. I know...it's a pain. A simple Google search by recipe name should send you to the recipe if it is out there. You can do an advanced search with a key phrase from the recipe...sometimes that helps. I've got tons of recipes I got off the internet and don't have a clue where I got them. I'm very careful now to change the method drastically. You can easily determine key phrases that need to be changed. If you ever have any questions please feel free to ask any of us that "work" here. Yes, once you have changed it up to suit your tastes and that is reflected in the method then it is most definitely yours!!!

luvs - you're welcome!

It is interesting that for most recipe searches on the internet, the first 5 recipes are usually identical, even on different sites.

It is interesting that for most recipe searches on the internet, the first 5 recipes are usually identical, even on different sites.

There's a LOT of that I notice too! I was so excited one time to find different recipes for something I was searching for. ALL of the recipes were identical - LOL It's kind of annoying! :rolleyes:

freefallin - if the verbiage is identical to that copied from the internet it's still copyright infringement. I know...it's a pain. A simple Google search by recipe name should send you to the recipe if it is out there. You can do an advanced search with a key phrase from the recipe...sometimes that helps. I've got tons of recipes I got off the internet and don't have a clue where I got them. I'm very careful now to change the method drastically. You can easily determine key phrases that need to be changed. If you ever have any questions please feel free to ask any of us that "work" here. Yes, once you have changed it up to suit your tastes and that is reflected in the method then it is most definitely yours!!!

luvs - you're welcome!

I don't normally research recipes i already have, seems a little redundant to me. I just did for one of mine that I posted not long ago, Aunt Fannie's Dinner, and could point out that the same dinner pops up on a variety of websites from different owners and they all sound the same ... who do I submit is the original who gets the credit? I also have things like Stuffed Green Peppers ... good luck on finding the owner on that one too. I bet you I could find a few different websites with the same verbiage, but ours is a family recipe. I think this copyright business is a fine line, who can say the original owner of it is?

Back
Top Bottom