"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Old 09-23-2006, 09:40 PM   #11
Executive Chef
And about now, we might be ready for one of these :

Instant Apple Pie

1 oz vodka
1 oz whipped cream
1 dash ground cinnamon
apple juice

Hold the vodka, cinnamon and whipped cream in your mouth. Pour in some apple juice, and swallow. Should taste like apple pie.

The College Dropout:

Goes something like - Pour one part vodka to two parts apple juice over ice cubes and stir.

mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 11:50 PM   #12
Senior Cook
baking fool's baked apples
probably sounds similar to other baked apple recipes but here i go:
-- take out the core of an apple (or 2) with a knife & hollow it out a bit bigger with a melon baller or something similar but don't go all the way through the other end
-- stuff the hole with raisins, oatmeal, brown sugar & spices like cinnamon, ground cloves & nutmeg. TAKE IT EASY with the spices, i used too much the first time i tried this & then thinking i underspiced them i used way too much the 2nd time. i think i thought i overdid it with the raisins & then used more of everything else the 2nd time around. which really ruined them that time. they were practically inedible now i use barely a pinch of each
-- put them in a baking pan & pour orange juice into the pan until the apples are ~1/2way submerged. has to be from concentrate or else it won;t work for some reason. a chef guy @ work said you can't mix apples & oranges but it seems to work fine for me. got to cancel out some of the sweetness of the apples/sugar/raisins with some tanginess of orange juice.
-- bake at 200 degrees for ~6hrs

edit: ooooooo yeah i forgot about these crepes i made a while ago. fill them with pork sausage meat & diced apples! sooooo good but i think my brother got confused with the sweet/savoury & didn't like them much. i however thought they were great & the same chef guy from above thought they sounded really good also. here are the details
-- fry 1lb pork sausage meat
-- set aside sausage meat & saute 3 diced/peeled apples in pork fat with 1/2 tsp cinnamon (add some butter if necessary) until slightly soft
-- add 1/4 cup apple cider or apple juice & cook down until reduced by 1/2
-- put sausage meat back in & add 1/2 cup sour cream & 1tbsp fresh sage

-- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
-- 2tbsp buckwheat flour
-- 1 egg
-- 1/8tsp salt
-- 1/4 cup milk
-- 1/4 cup + 2tbsp water
-- 1tbsp melted butter

& that should be enough for 3-4 people. i've found that it's good to have 2 frying pans going, one for the crepes & the other for the filling but i guess if i had only one i'd make the filling first then the crepes.

The bird could eat its way out of the cage. That was very real to me. As an apprentice, I too felt like a bird in a cage made out of bread. I just fed on my limits. -- Lionel Poilane
baking fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:29 AM   #13
Executive Chef
This is a great and easy one, Alix TNT French Apple Cake There's even a photo here http://www.discusscooking.com/galler....php?i=449&c=5
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:13 AM   #14
Oh you guys totally rule!

mish, I'd love the apple stuffing recipe and the baked apple one too. Theres one here already, (thanks baking fool) but I'd love to see another.

Corazon, thanks for the reminder on the apple cake! I've made that one and we all love it! Its going in the repertoire too.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 10:35 AM   #15
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I have a simple recipe for apple muffins, apple turnovers, apple cake, and apple coffee cake. You can also make apple butter and fried apples for dumplings. Take your pick.
If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 11:00 AM   #16
Certified Pretend Chef
For a quickie, try this.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:01 PM   #17
Oh Andy YUM! Thanks!

Dina, when you have a moment please post ALL those recipes. Thanks so much.
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Old 09-24-2006, 01:14 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Andy M.
For a quickie, try this.
Alix, this is TNT and very quick to make.
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:24 PM   #19
Executive Chef
Cranberry Apple Pie with Crumb Topping

Crumb topping:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces

Pie and Crust:
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, divided
1/2 cup cranberry juice (I have use orange juice, grape juice)
1 Cup cranberries (about 8 ounces)
4 cups Grannysmith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
3 cups Golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (I used all Granny Smiths)
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 prepared 9" deep dish pie crust, unbaked
2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" slices

To make crumb topping: Mix flour, brown sugar, sugar, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Using your hands, work in butter pieces untiil large clumps form. Divide mixture in half; freeze one half in a plastic storage bag for later use, and set aside the other half for use in this recipe. In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, stir together 3/4 cup brown sugar and cranberry juice. Add cranberries and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer until almost
all the liquid is absorbed. Continue to simmer stirring often, about 25 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Toss all apples , flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt and 3/4 cup brown sugar in a large bowl to blend. Drain cranberries (I didnt as it was very thick) and toss in with apple mixture. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove prepared pie crust from the freezer and fill with apple and cranberry mixture. Dot with butter and sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake pie 15 minutes ; reduce heat to 375 and bake until crust is golden, about 50 minutes. If crumb topping begins to brown too quickly, tent with foil. Transfer to rack to cool at least two hours. Serve warm or at room temperature topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or sliced cheddar cheese.

Note: You can use the other frozen half of the crumb topping to make this pie again, or sprinkle over ice cream. Defrost the topping and toast on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Enjoy! We love this pie
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:29 PM   #20
Thank you Amber! This looks like a wonderful addition to my Thanksgiving repertoire.