Apples Apples Everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
20 lbs of apples, easy applesauce. I don't have recipe handy but any cook book will have one, just cook them down, no need to peel and core, then run the through a food miil or strainer, the put into freezer bags. 20 lbs gone in a hour or so. The secert is you adjust the seasoning to your liking, I don't like real sweet so I cut way down on the sugar.

Oh thank you Elf. I wish I had a strainer or food mill, but I don't. So for me applesauce means a lot of peeling and coring. Thanks though! I have made some applesauce, and I'm going to do more later today.

Baked Apples

4 medium cooking apples
1/4 cup raisins or dried cranberries
2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup water

Wash and core the apples. Cut off a strip of peel near the top of each apple. Lightly score each apple in the center (half way down from the top of the apple), so they don't explode. Place them in a square baking dish. Fill apples with raisins or cranberries and walnuts. Brush them with syrup. Add water to the baking dish. Bake at 350-375F, uncovered 35 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender, basting occasionally with cooking liquid. 4 servings.

You can also fill the apples (about 3/4 full) w brown sugar and top with raisins. If it's still not sweet enough, lol, add mini marshmallows on top of each apple, shortly before the end of baking time - so the marshmallows are melted.

For the Apple Stuffing I add apples/raisins/nuts to this :mrgreen: :

http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=recipe&m=recipe/knet_recipe_display&u1=keyword&u2=stove%20top%20st uffing&u3=**15*152&wf=9&recipe_id=90966

I have a TNT Stuffing recipe made w sausage you might? add apples to, but I've always made it w just the sausage. It's up on a shelf w my secret recipes... but the one I thought you want to try/like is:

http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=22 5131

Or instead of chicken, apple stuffed pork chops.

Last edited:
Hey mish THANKS! Those links are great and I love the baked apples. You know anything with maple syrup in it is a sure winner with me!

Re: sausage stuffing. Do you think I could maybe try that with chicken breasts? I know my kids won't like it, but Ken and I might. Can you post it for me please? Thanks!

Alix said:
Dina, when you have a moment please post ALL those recipes. Thanks so much.

Apple Strudel Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups chopped apples
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 12 cup muffin pan.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
In a large bowl, beat together butter, sugar and eggs until smooth. Mix in vanilla. Stir in apples, and gradually blend in the flour mixture. Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan.
In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over tops of mixture in muffin pan.
Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Allow to sit 5 minutes before removing muffins from pan. Cool on a wire rack.

Apple Turnovers
Ingredients:
1 piece Puff Pastry 2" X 2" (I sometimes use my homemade pie dough, roll out to 1/8" thick, cut 5"diameter circles, fill and seal with a fork or crimping)
1 each Apple, sliced
3 oz. Walnuts (optional)
1 oz. Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1 tsp. Butter
3 oz. Cream cheese
1 oz. Apple cider
Directions:
Sauté fresh, sliced apples with butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Add the caramelized walnuts. Deglaze the pan with apple cider. Poor mixture into a bowl and let cool completely.
In a small bowl, whisk the water and eggs together to make an egg wash. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll out the puff pastry into two, equally-sized 2" X 2" pieces, and place them side by side on the greased or lined baking sheet. Place about 2 tbsp. of fruit filling and 3 ounces of cream cheese and walnuts in the middle of one of the pieces of puff pastry. Brush the edges of that piece of puff pastry with egg wash and fold the other piece over the top of the apple filling. Crimp the edges with the tines of a fork. Brush the top of the turnover with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar. Bake at 350° F for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve with vanilla ice cream and fresh Caramelo sauce*.
*Caramelo Sauce
Ingredients:
4 Tbsp. Sugar
1 tsp. Water
1 Tbsp. Butter
Directions:
Heat sugar with water. Let it cook until golden brown. Add butter and melt to finish.

I'm typing these recipes quite fast so excuse typos. Let me know if you have questions on any of them. I'll post the rest in a bit.

Apple Cake
4 cups diced apples (I like to use 4 1/2 to 5 cups) - use a variety of apples if you can: Golden Delicious, Criterion, and McIntosh.
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup salad oil
1 cup chopped nuts (pecans or walnuts)
2 eggs, well beaten
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour (general purpose, not self rising)
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix apples and sugar thoroughly. Add oil, nuts, eggs and vanilla. Mix dry ingredients together and add to apple mixture. Bake in a greased 13x9 inch pan for 1 hour.
Server frosted or unfrosted. This cake is one of those that you can pretty much finish and serve however you like. If you want to frost it, a sour cream frosting is very nice. Whipping cream or ice cream go very well with it, too. My favorite way to eat it, though, is with no frosting at all.

Apple Coffee Cake
This one's a winner with my family Alix.
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
5 1/2 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup whole milk
1 medium Cortland or other baking apple, peeled and sliced
1 Set the oven to 375°F. Grease a 9-inch square baking dish with or pie pan a 4-cup capacity.
2 Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3 In a bowl, combine 1/2 a cup of the sugar with the cinnamon, set aside.
4 In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter with the remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Beat in the egg until blended. Add the flour mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk, beating until just combined.
5 Spread half the batter in the baking dish. Lay the apple slices on the batter so they just cover the batter (you may have to overlap some slices). Sprinkle the apples with half of the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Spread the rest of the batter over the apples. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon-sugar on top.
6 Bake the cake for 25 minutes or until it is golden brown and apples start to bubble at the edges.
Serves 6.

Alix said:
Hey mish THANKS! Those links are great and I love the baked apples. You know anything with maple syrup in it is a sure winner with me!

Re: sausage stuffing. Do you think I could maybe try that with chicken breasts? I know my kids won't like it, but Ken and I might. Can you post it for me please? Thanks!

I've made the sausage stuffing for turkey, (on Thanksgiving). Give me awhile to climb up to my secret recipe stash & see if I can find it for you. :) Oooh that apple sauce would be soo good with potato pancakes. I think I may have an apple noodle kugel around. (Basically, it's noodles and apples and raisins.) BTW, take a peek, I'm almost sure I posted a crockpot baked apple recipe here going back some time.

Apple Nut Torte

Apple Nut Torte

1 Egg
3/4 cup sugar
1//2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped peeled apples
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 teaspoon vanilla
Whipped cream (or vanilla ice cream)

Beat egg until light and lemon colored. Gradually beat in sugar. Sift flour, baking powder and salt and fold into egg mixture. Stir in apples, nuts and vanilla. Pour into a greased 8 inch square pan and bake in 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.

It is not an oversight - there is no fat in this recipe. Takes about 5 minutes to make.

I'll be in the same boat with you next weekend, Alix! Lou and I are headed to Masker's Orchards in Warwick, NY on Saturday. I always pick way more than I can ever possibly use, but it's so hard not to keep filling bushel after bushel.

I usually make applesauce, apple pies, apple cakes, apple muffins, fritters, and candied apples. I also peel and sauté slices, serve over baby greens with goat cheese and candied walnuts.

I make apple pecan wild rice stuffing for pork loin.

Apple dumplings.

Baked apples.

And a favourite for snacks...apple slices with peanut butter and granola.

Can't locate it :angry: I might have to duplicate it from memory :angry: This is close, but -- I recall using crushed ritz crackers, sausage (not spicy), diced celery, mushrooms, diced onions, black papper, poultry seasoning & ???. Phooey!

http://www.saraleefoods.com/recipe.aspx?recipeID=19

Another thought - fill the apples with the sausage mixture and bake.

How about maple glazed carrots, apples & raisins, baked in an oven-proof dish. I'm sure you've had your fill of dessert recipes by now :w00t2:

Last edited:
Oh Alix, you haven't gotten this one yet from Constance? This is TNT by several members here and a classic!! Satisfaction guaranteed!!:)

I have also tried Cora's French Apple Cake, this one gets my vote as well, delicious!!

Chef Jen, and anyone who gets regularly bombarded with fruits, fruit dehydrator may be a good solution. We have an apricot tree, and we bought one this summer. We found it in the alpine region, where they grow apples big time and it is a "necessity" for every household!!

Last edited:
urmaniac, I have indeed seen that recipe from Constance, (add maple to the icing, its killer!)

Mish, I can never have too many dessert recipes!

Dina thank you! I know that was a lot of work to type in and I GREATLY appreciate them all.

licia, thanks for the torte recipe. That looks like a keeper.

thumpershere, I have never made or even used apple butter, recipe please?

Chef Jen and VeraBlue, glad to know I'm not the only one with abundant apples! Hope this thread helps you out a bit too.

Alix,

There's always Drunken Apples.

Just, uh, skip the extra step I included - Chop finger nearly off and end up getting a trip to the emergency room to get it sewed back up! :wacko:

John

Last edited:
Yum ronjohn, those look great. And I think I will avoid that last bit. I'm tired of visiting ER's. They are going to give our family frequent flyer miles pretty soon.

Try this apple sauce with pork chops Alix. It's a hit with my family. Something sweet with pork always goes well. Rachael Ray's Official Website :: Pork Chops with Golden Apple Sauce

I also have a recipe for spiced apple muffins if you'd like it.

Other suggestions would be ~

Baked apples stuffed with streussel
Apple and apricot crostata
Apple dumplings topped with ice cream
Apple juice (if you have a juicer)
Apple butter
Apple jam/preserves
Apple turnovers
Apple stuffing

http://search.foodnetwork.com/food/recipe/apples/search.do?searchString=apples&site=food&gosearch=%3CSPAN%3ESearch%3C%2FSPAN%3E&searchType=Recipe

Are there any apples left? ;) Came across this recipe for an Apple Upside-Down Cake (with Vanilla ice cream), & remembered this thread. It looks yummy. Like the idea of fanning the apple slices out.

Apple Upside-Down Cake

Ginger Apple Galette (with ginger whipped cream). You could use apples in place of pears, or a combo of apples & pears.

ginger-pear-galette/

Caramel apples on a stick rolled in chopped nuts. Or, dip the apples on a stick in melted chocolate & roll in nuts and/or mini marshmallows.

One of my fave comfort dishes is pork chops with sauteed apples & onions, & perogies on the side.

Apple, gouda (cheddar or swiss) quesadillas - add nuts if you like. Or, an apple quesadilla pizza.

I remember we had a discussion/recipes awhile ago for crockpot baked apples.

. :)

MISH: I love the idea of apple quesadillas, especially with the cheese and nuts added. The crockpot baked apples sounds like something I would love to make for my card group. Anyone know what's involved in making this? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom