Apples Apples Everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
And not enough recipes for all. Please help me use up my 20lbs of apples. I need your recipes please.

~emz~...show this thread to your Dad, he needs it even more than I do!

How about some applesauce? :w00t2: :-p

I like "fried" apples, just peel, remove core, slice or cube, sautee in some butter with brown sugar and cinnamon until crisp-tender. I LOVE this with a good ol' porkchop!

Apple-Fennel-Walnut Salad - cubed apples, cubed fresh fennel, toasted walnuts. Dressing consists of olive oil, walnut oil if available, spring onion, fresh fennel leaves minced, s & p - serve with some grilled chicken, or add some blue cheese to it and use it for a salad topper. This is excellent served with some grilled salmon.

Have you ever dried apple rings in the oven? Or is that how you would even do it?

I made, one time (I didn't write down the recipe) a soup with sausage (kielbasa or andouille) and apples. It was chicken broth based and I think had onion, celery, carrots..............darn, I wish I would have written it down 'cause it was good. But you get the idea.

You can also make a casserole with alternating slices of sweet potato and apple and use a sauce of - I found the recipe - here it is:

3 medium sweet potatoes
2 medium to large apples
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 cup margarine or butter
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
-Preheat oven to 350.
-Lightly spray casserole dish with non-stick spray.
-Peel and slice sweet potatoes into 1/4 inch slices.
-Peel, core and slice apples.
-Mix together sugar and spices in a small bowl.
-Place a layer of sweet potatoes in the bottom of the casserole dish, using 1/2 of the potatoes
-Place a layer of apples on top of potatoes, using half of the apples.
-Sprinkle with pecans (if using).
-Cover with 1/2 of the sugar mixture.
-Dot with butter or margarine.
-Repeat layers.
-Bake, covered for 1 hour.

The "fried" apples posted above can be a "stuffing" for some crescent rolls. Stuff and bake. You can also make a ring out of the crescent rolls with the wide part to the center, place stuffing all around and wrap pointed ends into center.

Last edited:
Definately try an apple and fresh cranberry pie with crumb topping, we love it and cranberries should be in season soon. I'll dig up the recipe if you want it.

I'm pretty good at faking pies, but I welcome any and all recipes so that I have a place to start. Thanks Amber.

Love the recipes guys, keep em coming.

Oh yes Amber - there's a recipe I made once - kind of an apple brown betty I guess, with raw oatmeal in it. I think the oatmeal was in the crumb topping.

Allen’s Fantastic Apple Crisp
Makes: one 9 x 13” pan

I like to use a mix of Granny Smith and Macintosh apples for this one. It provides a balance between taste and texture. If you can find some really good-sized apples, you may want to go down to 7 apples. Also, if the juice or cider is really sweet, you may want to reduce the sugar down to ½ c. Ice cream would go great with this dessert.

1 c all-purpose flour
¼ t baking powder
¼ t baking soda
1 c packed brown sugar
1 c quick-cooking oats
½ c butter, softened
9 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into wedges
¾ c white sugar
1 T all-purpose flour
1 t ground cinnamon
½ c apple cider
-or- apple juice

Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Sift together 1 c of the flour, baking powder, baking soda, oats, and brown sugar. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or your hands. It should have a mealy texture, similar to coarse sand. Set aside. Mix the white sugar, 1 T flour, and ground cinnamon together, and toss with the apples. Place the sliced apples in a 9 x 13” pan. Pour the juice or cider evenly over all. Crumble the streusel topping evenly over the apple mixture. Bake at 350°F (175°C) for about 45 minutes.

A few quick ideas, before I run.

If you're not sick of apple pie yet, Paula does a quick apple fried pies, like an apple pocket. You could bake them as well - fold the dough over chopped apples, raisins and walnuts sprinkled with cinnamin and some other goodies.

Chicken waldorf salad - chicken, mayo (curry powder if you like), apples, raisins, walnuts, celery, lettuce, cherry tomatoes.

Apple pancakes, topped w vanilla ice cream and caramel syrup.

Apple stuffing - apples walnuts, onions, raisins, celery. Cut a pocket in chicken breasts, fill w stuffing, douse in apple juice & bake.

Apple rings - saute in butter w cinnamon - top w ice cream & whipped cream.

Apple, gouda (cheddar or swiss) quesadillas - add nuts if you like. Or, an apple quesadilla pizza.

Trying to recall a recipe - apples in their jackets? The apples were wrapped in dough, pinched at the top (like a little package), brushed w melted butter? and baked. Will see if I can find it.

Apple slaw.

Cinnamin, riasin, apple bread pudding.

I remember we had a discussion/recipes awhile ago for crockpot baked apples.

Those are just a few quickie ideas. If an apple idea catches your eye, let me know & I'll pm them to you. Would be very lengthy to post each here and I know you want to use 'em up. :)

Last edited:
kitchenelf said:
Oh yes Amber - there's a recipe I made once - kind of an apple brown betty I guess, with raw oatmeal in it. I think the oatmeal was in the crumb topping.

This particular recipe does not have oatmeal in the topping, but it's still very good. :)

Alix, my recipe is lengthy. I'll post it tomorrow, I've made a note to myself. You'll love it. People at work have asked for it too because they have been apple picking. We planned on apple picking today but it was a wash out, it rained all day. Hope next weekend is sunny!

And about now, we might be ready for one of these :LOL: :

Instant Apple Pie

1 oz vodka
1 oz whipped cream
1 dash ground cinnamon
apple juice

Hold the vodka, cinnamon and whipped cream in your mouth. Pour in some apple juice, and swallow. Should taste like apple pie.

The College Dropout:

Goes something like - Pour one part vodka to two parts apple juice over ice cubes and stir.

Last edited:
baking fool's baked apples
probably sounds similar to other baked apple recipes but here i go:
-- take out the core of an apple (or 2) with a knife & hollow it out a bit bigger with a melon baller or something similar but don't go all the way through the other end
-- stuff the hole with raisins, oatmeal, brown sugar & spices like cinnamon, ground cloves & nutmeg. TAKE IT EASY with the spices, i used too much the first time i tried this & then thinking i underspiced them i used way too much the 2nd time. i think i thought i overdid it with the raisins & then used more of everything else the 2nd time around.:ROFLMAO: which really ruined them that time. they were practically inedible :( now i use barely a pinch of each
-- put them in a baking pan & pour orange juice into the pan until the apples are ~1/2way submerged. has to be from concentrate or else it won;t work for some reason. a chef guy @ work said you can't mix apples & oranges but it seems to work fine for me. got to cancel out some of the sweetness of the apples/sugar/raisins with some tanginess of orange juice.
-- bake at 200 degrees for ~6hrs

edit: ooooooo yeah i forgot about these crepes i made a while ago. fill them with pork sausage meat & diced apples! sooooo good :brows: but i think my brother got confused with the sweet/savoury & didn't like them much. i however thought they were great & the same chef guy from above thought they sounded really good also. here are the details
filling:
-- fry 1lb pork sausage meat
-- set aside sausage meat & saute 3 diced/peeled apples in pork fat with 1/2 tsp cinnamon (add some butter if necessary) until slightly soft
-- add 1/4 cup apple cider or apple juice & cook down until reduced by 1/2
-- put sausage meat back in & add 1/2 cup sour cream & 1tbsp fresh sage

crepes:
-- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
-- 2tbsp buckwheat flour
-- 1 egg
-- 1/8tsp salt
-- 1/4 cup milk
-- 1/4 cup + 2tbsp water
-- 1tbsp melted butter

& that should be enough for 3-4 people. i've found that it's good to have 2 frying pans going, one for the crepes & the other for the filling but i guess if i had only one i'd make the filling first then the crepes.

Last edited:
Oh you guys totally rule!

mish, I'd love the apple stuffing recipe and the baked apple one too. Theres one here already, (thanks baking fool) but I'd love to see another.

Corazon, thanks for the reminder on the apple cake! I've made that one and we all love it! Its going in the repertoire too.

Alix,
I have a simple recipe for apple muffins, apple turnovers, apple cake, and apple coffee cake. You can also make apple butter and fried apples for dumplings. Take your pick.

Oh Andy YUM! Thanks!

Dina, when you have a moment please post ALL those recipes. Thanks so much.

Cranberry Apple Pie with Crumb Topping

Ingredients:
Crumb topping:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, chilled and cut into pieces

Pie and Crust:
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, divided
1/2 cup cranberry juice (I have use orange juice, grape juice)
1 Cup cranberries (about 8 ounces)
4 cups Grannysmith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
3 cups Golden delicious apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced (I used all Granny Smiths)
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1 prepared 9" deep dish pie crust, unbaked
2 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" slices

Directions:

To make crumb topping: Mix flour, brown sugar, sugar, salt and cinnamon in a bowl. Using your hands, work in butter pieces untiil large clumps form. Divide mixture in half; freeze one half in a plastic storage bag for later use, and set aside the other half for use in this recipe. In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, stir together 3/4 cup brown sugar and cranberry juice. Add cranberries and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer until almost
all the liquid is absorbed. Continue to simmer stirring often, about 25 minutes. Set aside to cool.

Toss all apples , flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, salt and 3/4 cup brown sugar in a large bowl to blend. Drain cranberries (I didnt as it was very thick) and toss in with apple mixture. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Remove prepared pie crust from the freezer and fill with apple and cranberry mixture. Dot with butter and sprinkle with crumb topping. Bake pie 15 minutes ; reduce heat to 375 and bake until crust is golden, about 50 minutes. If crumb topping begins to brown too quickly, tent with foil. Transfer to rack to cool at least two hours. Serve warm or at room temperature topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or sliced cheddar cheese.

Note: You can use the other frozen half of the crumb topping to make this pie again, or sprinkle over ice cream. Defrost the topping and toast on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.

Enjoy! We love this pie :)

Back
Top Bottom