Applesauce, but made with pears?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Farmer Jon

Sous Chef
I ordered 40 lbs of pears from my sons FFA fundraiser. 40 lbs of pears is alot more than I thought. I had planned on canning most of them but I was wondering if anyone made pear sause? Like apple sause but with pears. It seems to me that I seen a recipe for that one time but I don't remember where.

I don't like raw pears (a texture thing--but we have pear trees), but I have made pear crisp a number of times and it is very good. I would think you could do that with the pearsauce you made.

I have used the recipe in the Ball canning book for pear butter and it is wonderful. It calls for nutmeg as well as an orange product. I believe the recipe calls for orange juice and orange peel, but I used orange oil to great success. It is divine on toast or biscuits.

That sounds great
I also saw on a show I watching and Im sorry I forgot where, they made a upside down spice cake using pears. Looked great. Maybe Americas test kitchen, the food channel, the chew, I wish I remember for you.

I have used the recipe in the Ball canning book for pear butter and it is wonderful. It calls for nutmeg as well as an orange product. I believe the recipe calls for orange juice and orange peel, but I used orange oil to great success. It is divine on toast or biscuits.

Oh boy, that sounds better than apple butter. I'm not big on apples.

Wife just wants me to can pears and not be messing around with that other stuff. I cant help it. Im going to try a small batch of pearsause. She likes them raw the best but can tolerate canned. She will not eat cooked pears in anything else.

Thanks everyone! the pear butter sounds really good also.

I ordered 40 lbs of pears from my sons FFA fundraiser. 40 lbs of pears is alot more than I thought. I had planned on canning most of them but I was wondering if anyone made pear sause? Like apple sause but with pears. It seems to me that I seen a recipe for that one time but I don't remember where.

Do you know anyone with a small baby that's just starting out on solid foods?

You could make a quick batch of pear baby sauce.
Mom's will love ya!
Go for it hero.. :chef:

I ended up going in a different direction. Canned 14 pints and 7 quarts then put some in the dehydrator. They came out perfect. Kids love them. Easy no mess snacks.

Back
Top Bottom