Applesauce Recipe TNT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
Not having a food mill, I wasn't sure how well this would turn out, but it couldn't be easier or better!

1/2 dozen apples, I prefer a sweet-tart cooking apple (I've used Cortland and Macintosh)

1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

1 c water

1 tsp sugar

1/2 tsp (or less depending on taste) ground cinnamon

Mix together sugar and cinnamon, set aside.

Peel, core and quarter apples and place in an enamel pot. Toss with lemon juice and cover with 1 c water. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Let simmer about 30 minutes or until apples break down. Stir occasionally, using the spoon to break apart the apples as they cook.

Remove from heat, stir in sugar/cinnamon mixture.

At this point, I used my potato masher just to mash the apples up a bit and break up the larger chunks I might have missed with my spoon as they cooked.

This freezes very well too!

If you add lemon juice at the end you will have even softer apples. Lemon juice tends to make whatever you cook harder.

Try using only 1/2 cup of water and no lemon juice, then cook on low heat covered for 30 to 40 minutes stirring every 15 minutes. Apples will break down nicely and the sauce will tighten. I approx. 2 lbs of apples

Last edited:
Pa that sounds alot like my great-grandmother's applesauce. Only she'd use half a cup of water and the other half would be apple cider.

Dina, I don't think you would need to add much water to pears as they have a higher water content than apples. Why don't you try it out and tell us how it went? I bet it would be lovely.

Back
Top Bottom