"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 10-10-2014, 01:11 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Applesauce -- to peel or not to peel?

Hi Everyone ~
My old apple tree has given me a ton of apples this year. They are small, but good. I want to make applesauce for the freezer. In the past, I have always peeled the apples, but now I notice a lot of recipes do not require peeled apples. Has anyone made applesauce without peeling the apples? Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2014, 01:24 AM   #2
Master Chef

I can't imagine peelings in my finished applesauce Shelly. I guess you could use a food mill to remove the skins after cooking the apples.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 01:32 AM   #3
Senior Cook

That's what I thought, too, Kayelle, but the recipes I've found say to put the cooked unpeeled apples into a food processor and process until smooth. I may make a small batch with peels on just to see how it turns out. I realize that the apple skins add fiber and more vitamins, but ........? I'll let you know what I think of this rustic applesauce.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:08 AM   #4
Master Chef

I peel the apples and leave the pieces quite large so the apple sauce is lumpy or chunky when finished.

I have made it without peeling the apples and then running the finished applesauce through a Foley food mill to remove the skins and seeds. I don't really like the ultra smooth texture in the finished product.

I would never make it and leave the skins in the finished product.

If you decide to peel and core the apples save the "apple junk" and make a small batch of apple jelly!

This is one of many recipes for Apple Peel Jelly!

http://foodpreservation.about.com/od...ScrapJelly.htm

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Some of the red apples that are grown for cooking add that red color you see in pink applesauce. And as stated, they add additional nutrients and fiber. If you don't like the final product when the cooking is done, then put it through a food mill. Good Luck.
Old 10-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Thanks, Aunt Bea and Addie, for the suggestions. I like the idea of making apple jelly from the apple scraps. I, too, like chunky applesauce. I'll try making a small batch with skins on and if I don't like it, I'll do as you suggest, Addie, and use a food mill. Thanks, again! I'll be busy this weekend!!
Old 10-10-2014, 09:55 AM   #7
Executive Chef

When I make apple sauce I use the whole apple, minus the stem. I cook the snot out of the apples. When I run the cooked pulp through the china cap/chinoises strainer, only the seed coats stay behind.
Old 10-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've done it both ways with good results. I have a couple of those apple whirly corer-peeler-slicer things, and they really help cut down on labor.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:14 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I've done it both ways with good results. I have a couple of those apple whirly corer-peeler-slicer things, and they really help cut down on labor.
Me too! I love mine. Apples peeled in seconds. And you have the option of it making slices or just remove the core along with the peelings. Or you can just remove the core! Poo got it for me many years ago as a gift. What a great kid.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Me too! I love mine. Apples peeled in seconds. And you have the option of it making slices or just remove the core along with the peelings. Or you can just remove the core! Poo got it for me many years ago as a gift. What a great kid.

And over the years they've really come down in price. The first one I got many years ago was something like $25, a few years ago I found another one for $7. With my extremely prolific tree, the work goes quickly with two of us peeling.

Tags
apple, apples, other, sauce