Australian finger limes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
Has anybody ever seen or used these? The "pulp" of the fruit is supposed to be large caviar-like beads that burst when you bite down on them. A relatively close nursery supposedly has trees. Craig's going to check it out the next time he's up that way.

I've never heard of them, but they sure do sound fun and interesting! Looking forward to hearing more....:)

Sort of like those tapioca bubble drinks. I've never heard of them either, sounds interesting!

Went by the nursery today and picked up a finger lime tree.

36788-albums318-picture5972.jpg

36788-albums318-picture5971.jpg

Now I have to go back! Sitting next to the finger lime was a kaffir lime tree. I didn't have enough money (they only take cash) or room in the truck cab to put it.

The few fruits on it are tiny, about 1-1/2 to 2 inches. One fell off while he was bringing it in. We cut it open. Looked like a regular lime and I was ticked because I had called and asked about it to make sure it was the right kind before he went. I very lightly squeezed it and out popped all these little beads of pulp/juice just like the pictures. They were pretty potent. Hopefully it was just that they were immature and not ripe. Otherwise, WOW, they pack a punch and are bitter and sharp.

Last edited:
So what would you use these for? Suitable for Key Lime Pie? Sounds interesting. :angel:

We intend to use these as a unique garnish because the pulp is round and looks like little pearls. As far as the Key Lime Pie, lets just not go there.:rolleyes:

Re limes

Many years ago I read that so called "Florida limes" were actually a form of lemon. I don't think it actually meant all limes grown in Florida but a variety called "Florida Limes". I have never seen anything about this anywhere else and when I spoke to the fruit and veg manager he'd never come across it.

Any thoughts on this?

Many years ago I read that so called "Florida limes" were actually a form of lemon. I don't think it actually meant all limes grown in Florida but a variety called "Florida Limes". I have never seen anything about this anywhere else and when I spoke to the fruit and veg manager he'd never come across it.

Any thoughts on this?

The most common lime, which is commercially grown, is the Persian lime. The original tree won't grow here, so they graft them onto lemon trunks. If not cared for properly by removing the "suckers" from the trunk, they will revert to lemons. To my knowledge, there are no native limes. Key Limes will grow in their original form, without the need for grafting. Seems Finger and Kaffir limes will do so as well.

Back
Top Bottom