"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 09-20-2013, 06:09 PM   #111
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I wouldn't say the supermarkets don't have a clue. If they don't sell them quickly, they will go from just right to past their prime.
Well, yes, but you'd think they'd have the sense to point them up as "prime" avocados to con the customer into snapping them up.

When I watch Ina Garten and other American cooks on television shopping in "markets" and see the array of veg on offer I do get a bit jealous. I tend to shop for veg in independent small stores for freshness and quality rather than supermarkets where veg tends to look and be very tired.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #112
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Dawgluver, it's called "Marie Rose Sauce" (lord knows why) and it's equal quantities of mayo and tomato ketchup with lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce (Lee & Perrin's is best if you can get it) to taste.

But don't let me put you off visiting London again.
Thanks, Mad Cook! I had to Google it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Rose_sauce as I was curious about the origin. Ah, and going back through this thread, that's what Katy said it was too.

And I was in London in the late '70’s, when it was popular. Makes sense.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #113
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Well, yes, but you'd think they'd have the sense to point them up as "prime" avocados to con the customer into snapping them up.

When I watch Ina Garten and other American cooks on television shopping in "markets" and see the array of veg on offer I do get a bit jealous. I tend to shop for veg in independent small stores for freshness and quality rather than supermarkets where veg tends to look and be very tired.
Ah, I see what you're saying. I guess it's more effort than they think it's worth. I always check on the avocados in the "quick sell bin", but, they are almost always past their prime.

I generally only buy fruits and veg from one supermarket, Mourelatos, because they care, and at the health food store. Not much in the way of greengrocers around here.

We have a supermarket called Loblaws. I was talking to someone who said she didn't like the fruit and veg from Mourelatos. It isn't as "pretty" as the stuff at Loblaws (next door). When I look at the overpriced fruit and veg at Loblaws, it gives me the creeps. It's all so uniform. I occasionally buy some organic fruit/veg at Loblaws, if I am there and don't have time to go to the health food store too.
Old 09-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #114
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
They can take 3-4 days in my kitchen in a bag with a banana or an apple.
Well they take a little longer for us since we walk out into our backyard and pick them (no shipping time to the grocery). By the time you add in shipping, you're at least at 7-10 days assuming they haven't been kept in a high nitrogen environment.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:28 PM   #115
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Well they take a little longer for us since we walk out into our backyard and pick them (no shipping time to the grocery). By the time you add in shipping, you're at least at 7-10 days assuming they haven't been kept in a high nitrogen environment.

Interesting! So even when they are literally in your back garden, you have to pick them way before you can eat them? Do they really not ripen on the tree?
Old 09-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #116
Head Chef

They will eventually fall off the tree by themselves but they are still hard at that point and have to ripen/soften over time. You can speed up the process a tiny bit by putting in a bag with a banana or tomato but not more than a day or 2 at most.

We're just getting to the time that our personal avocados will ripen/soften before they rot. We'll start picking 1 every so often to see how it does. We'll have them thru late November/mid to late December depending on weather. Other varieties of locally-grown avocados have been in the stores for 2-3 months and soon will be out of season. Avocados grown in Florida are the big, smooth-skinned type.

Tags
avocado