"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 09-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #81
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I know this fruit gets a bad rap with it's high fat content but it's actually so good for you!

It's one of my all time favourites and it's so darn tasty!

Are there any avocado lovers on DC?

My favourite way is just cut in half, sprinkled with lemon or lime juice and some flaked or coarse salt.

I also enjoy it mashed with a dash of vinegar, salt and cracked black pepper. Served on toasted bread with lashings of real butter!

Mashed avocado is great between 2 slices of buttered toast with a fried or poached egg and some relish or salsa. (A little bit of crispy bacon won't hurt either )

How do you enjoy this humble fruit?
Any way they come. I love avocados (especially the Hass ones).

Yes they do have a lot of fat but most of it is good fat of the sort that lowers "bad" cholesterol and raises "good" cholesterol and they are bursting with vitamins. I was once told that they use them for weaning babies.

I tend to think that the goodness in them outweighs the calories and I defy Slimming World rules and make an advocado a "free" food.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #82
Head Chef

Mad Cook, do you find it as irritating as I do, that the supermarkets sell either rock hard avocadoes (which are expensive enough), or charge a premium for so-called "ripe" ones?

Old 09-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Mad Cook, do you find it as irritating as I do, that the supermarkets sell either rock hard avocadoes (which are expensive enough), or charge a premium for so-called "ripe" ones?
Hmm. We have the same problem here in the States. So hard to find a good one. Best place in the world for avocados IMHO is Mexico. We went to one grocer there where the avos were bigger than my head! Smooth skin, huge, no wonder guacamole is so cheap there!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #84
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Hmm. We have the same problem here in the States. So hard to find a good one. Best place in the world for avocados IMHO is Mexico. We went to one grocer there where the avos were bigger than my head! Smooth skin, huge, no wonder guacamole is so cheap there!
Now that I am surprised about DL. I thought you would have an abundance of properly ripe, lovely Avocado in the US!

On the very rare occasions I get a gorgeous Avocado, I have been known to just cut it in half, twist it and get in there with a spoon! (I usually manage to fill the other half with prawns and Marie Rose sauce before scoffing that too...)
Old 09-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #85
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That's the best way to tackle an avocado...with a spoon!!!!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:

Now that I am surprised about DL. I thought you would have an abundance of properly ripe, lovely Avocado in the US!

On the very rare occasions I get a gorgeous Avocado, I have been known to just cut it in half, twist it and get in there with a spoon! (I usually manage to fill the other half with prawns and Marie Rose sauce before scoffing that too...)
We do the same here, Katy! And I was introduced to prawns in avocado eons ago by a friend on our first foray to London! I think we ate them every day we saw them on a menu.....

Our Florida and California friends probably also have better access to good avos.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #87
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's the best way to tackle an avocado...with a spoon!!!!
Come on PF - a little finesse please! You have to quickly slice the half "shell" in a criss-cross pattern - then the spoon gluttony is even easier!
Old 09-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #88
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We do the same here, Katy! And I was introduced to prawns in avocado eons ago by a friend on our first foray to London! I think we ate them every day we saw them on a menu.....

Our Florida and California friends probably also have better access to good avos.
Avocado and prawns is a marriage made in heaven.

Very retro I know, but why change something that works so well?
Old 09-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #89
Executive Chef

An interesting blog post on avocados.

http://www.gardenbetty.com/2013/02/h...e-on-the-tree/

I frequently find only hard avocados around here but I get them anyway. I just let them sit on the counter a few days and they ripen just fine.
Old 09-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #90
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Come on PF - a little finesse please! You have to quickly slice the half "shell" in a criss-cross pattern - then the spoon gluttony is even easier!
I never seem to have a problem with getting at the avocado...

Tags
avocado