"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #81
Executive Chef
 
Mad Cook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: North West England
Posts: 4,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I know this fruit gets a bad rap with it's high fat content but it's actually so good for you!

It's one of my all time favourites and it's so darn tasty!

Are there any avocado lovers on DC?

My favourite way is just cut in half, sprinkled with lemon or lime juice and some flaked or coarse salt.

I also enjoy it mashed with a dash of vinegar, salt and cracked black pepper. Served on toasted bread with lashings of real butter!

Mashed avocado is great between 2 slices of buttered toast with a fried or poached egg and some relish or salsa. (A little bit of crispy bacon won't hurt either )

How do you enjoy this humble fruit?
Any way they come. I love avocados (especially the Hass ones).

Yes they do have a lot of fat but most of it is good fat of the sort that lowers "bad" cholesterol and raises "good" cholesterol and they are bursting with vitamins. I was once told that they use them for weaning babies.

I tend to think that the goodness in them outweighs the calories and I defy Slimming World rules and make an advocado a "free" food.
__________________

__________________
Mad Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #82
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,135
Mad Cook, do you find it as irritating as I do, that the supermarkets sell either rock hard avocadoes (which are expensive enough), or charge a premium for so-called "ripe" ones?
__________________

__________________
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #83
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Mad Cook, do you find it as irritating as I do, that the supermarkets sell either rock hard avocadoes (which are expensive enough), or charge a premium for so-called "ripe" ones?
Hmm. We have the same problem here in the States. So hard to find a good one. Best place in the world for avocados IMHO is Mexico. We went to one grocer there where the avos were bigger than my head! Smooth skin, huge, no wonder guacamole is so cheap there!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:33 PM   #84
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Hmm. We have the same problem here in the States. So hard to find a good one. Best place in the world for avocados IMHO is Mexico. We went to one grocer there where the avos were bigger than my head! Smooth skin, huge, no wonder guacamole is so cheap there!
Now that I am surprised about DL. I thought you would have an abundance of properly ripe, lovely Avocado in the US!

On the very rare occasions I get a gorgeous Avocado, I have been known to just cut it in half, twist it and get in there with a spoon! (I usually manage to fill the other half with prawns and Marie Rose sauce before scoffing that too...)
__________________
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #85
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
That's the best way to tackle an avocado...with a spoon!!!!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #86
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post

Now that I am surprised about DL. I thought you would have an abundance of properly ripe, lovely Avocado in the US!

On the very rare occasions I get a gorgeous Avocado, I have been known to just cut it in half, twist it and get in there with a spoon! (I usually manage to fill the other half with prawns and Marie Rose sauce before scoffing that too...)
We do the same here, Katy! And I was introduced to prawns in avocado eons ago by a friend on our first foray to London! I think we ate them every day we saw them on a menu.....

Our Florida and California friends probably also have better access to good avos.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:42 PM   #87
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That's the best way to tackle an avocado...with a spoon!!!!
Come on PF - a little finesse please! You have to quickly slice the half "shell" in a criss-cross pattern - then the spoon gluttony is even easier!
__________________
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #88
Head Chef
 
KatyCooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 1,135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
We do the same here, Katy! And I was introduced to prawns in avocado eons ago by a friend on our first foray to London! I think we ate them every day we saw them on a menu.....

Our Florida and California friends probably also have better access to good avos.
Avocado and prawns is a marriage made in heaven.

Very retro I know, but why change something that works so well?
__________________
KatyCooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:47 PM   #89
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Mostly in my head
Posts: 2,665
An interesting blog post on avocados.

http://www.gardenbetty.com/2013/02/h...e-on-the-tree/

I frequently find only hard avocados around here but I get them anyway. I just let them sit on the counter a few days and they ripen just fine.
__________________
Just because something has a duck bill doesn't mean it's a platypus. It might just be a duck.
Roger Miller: You can't roller skate in a buffalo heard, but you can be happy if you've a mind to.
purple.alien.giraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #90
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatyCooks View Post
Come on PF - a little finesse please! You have to quickly slice the half "shell" in a criss-cross pattern - then the spoon gluttony is even easier!
I never seem to have a problem with getting at the avocado...
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
avocado

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.