"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 12-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Avocado Question

I'm new to avocados so forgive the ignorance.

I just cut open an avo for lunch. It's blotchy with black scattered through parts of the interior. Is that OK to serve or should I dump it?

Old 12-01-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm new to avocados so forgive the ignorance.

I just cut open an avo for lunch. It's blotchy with black scattered through parts of the interior. Is that OK to serve or should I dump it?
We toss them. I believe it is spoiled. I see that a lot with over ripe Haas.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Master Chef

Sometimes that happens Andy. I wish you had a picture but I think I know what you're talking about. If it's just speckled blackI would use it myself, it certainly won't hurt you. If it seems over ripe, toss it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:26 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Sometimes that happens Andy. I wish you had a picture but I think I know what you're talking about. If it's just speckled blackI would use it myself, it certainly won't hurt you. If it seems over ripe, toss it.

It wasn't all that soft, Kayelle. the discoloration was scattered through the interior.

I guess I'll give it a try.

Check to see if I'm online later today.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:29 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

i usually cut out any black spots. It's usually caused by bruising from being squeezed too hard. If it contains too much, I toss it.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It wasn't all that soft, Kayelle. the discoloration was scattered through the interior.

I guess I'll give it a try.

Check to see if I'm online later today.
If it's just speckled throughout, it will be fine Andy. Just be glad you didn't get one like this..I was so bummed when I opened it.

Old 12-01-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Head Chef

There are pretty much four things that can happen to avocados

Dark and mushy throughout is just overipe, rotten.

Dark strands through the flesh means fruit from a young tree. Pick them out.

Diffuse bruised looking placed under the skin are probably exactly that, bruises.

Well-defined black spots that you often don't see until you cut are likely cold storage damage but may also be from previous customers piking them. Don't refrigerate avocados, Let them ripen naturally and use them before they get dark and soft. I use the small end to judge at the store. If I can press the end around the stem and find it not hard, it's close to ripe and will have to be used soon. If it's hard, it will have to ripen for a while.

I find it's better to use ripe avocados just as they are ripe and refrigerate the prepped fruit or guacamole.

If you buy some and take them home and that day find them cold damaged or rotten, return them to the store. They suffered something between the tree and the store.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:04 PM   #8
Master Chef

I agree avocados should be allowed to ripen at room temp. However, if if you find yourself with more ripe ones than you can use, put them in the refrigerator. It will stop the ripening process somewhat.

GLC, what do you think was the cause of that humongous seed in mine? I've cut open thousands of avocados in my day, and that was bizarre!

Old 12-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

Subsequent investigation on another authoritative website reveals this:

Q: What does it mean if my fruit has brown/black streaks?

A: The "streaks" you describe are a relatively rare occurrence generally found in fruit from young trees. Although the fibers may be unsightly, the surrounding fruit is safe for your consumption.
Q: What does it mean if my fruit has brown/black spots?

A: Flesh discoloration occurs when the avocado has been exposed to cold temperatures for a long period of time before it begins the ripening process. Flesh bruising can occur in transit or as a result of compression caused by excessive handling. Unfortunately there is no way to detect either flesh discoloration or flesh bruising by looking at the avocado's exterior. They are not harmful and can be removed by cutting them out.

Hass Avocado Board: FAQs on How to Pick and Prepare Avocados
Old 12-01-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
Head Chef

Also, another avocado tip, although common sense, if you are buying a few avocados at the same time for a recipe, try and get ones that are at a similar ripening stage. This way they will all be perfectly ripe at the same time for the guacamole or whatever you are using it for. That being said if you are using them one at a time, maybe get at different stages so they all dont ripen at once then you have too many ripe at one time.
I hate when i get the dark striations or spots. Unfortunately, no real way of knowing until you've cut it open.

Tags
avocado