"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 10-10-2006, 11:54 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy,
avocado in a tomato tortilla soup, or a shredded roasted pork and tomatillo burrito, a tomato, mozzarella,avocado salad, bruschetta topped with roma tomatoes,diced red onion, avocado and evoo, or sweet and sour avocado salad with it's warm dressing.

kadesma

Old 10-10-2006, 11:57 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Andy,
avocado in a tomato tortilla soup, or a shredded roasted pork and tomatillo burrito, a tomato, mozzarella,avocado salad, bruschetta topped with roma tomatoes,diced red onion, avocado and evoo, or sweet and sour avocado salad with it's warm dressing.

kadesma
Great! Thanks for the ideas.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:15 AM   #13
Sous Chef

I think your avacados may have been left to ripen for too long. Next time, dont wait, until they are soft. Just until they cave very slightly, when u give them a squeeze.
I think it is when they get very ripe, that they start to grow those dark fibers,inside.

Mel
Old 10-11-2006, 03:20 AM   #14
Sous Chef

Yes, cooked avacado receipes exist.

I sometimes make avacado and youghurt soup.
I also put them in creamy or tomato pasta sauces.
I have seen a recipe, where they were baked, with a filling, but i have not tried that one.

Mel
Old 10-11-2006, 07:14 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

I believe Clive is describing the "Florida" avocado--smooth skinned, green (have never really seen any yellow). The Hass avocado is the one I am seeing almost totally now--small and rough skinned. Green when not ripe going toward black when ripe. The Hass has much more flavor than the larger green smooth skinned ones. And I now very rarely see the others.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:02 AM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliveb
However, there's a friend of mine here somewhere who swears by Tempura Avocado - I think that sounds as decadently delicious as is possible!!
I have had this at a Sushi bar and it is wonderful!!! Each time we would order a salmon tower, he would garnish it with something different, when he did the tempura avacado slices... I told him to do that all the time!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:03 AM   #17
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I like mine mashed up with potatoe and chili peppers, sounds disgusting but it`s as closed to cooked as I go with them and it`s great comfort food, over-ripe is never and issue either when done this way :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:34 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Andy M., I have seen avocados in egg skillets and omelets, too. I sometimes slice mine with tomoatoes and fresh mozzarella drizzled with evoo and some basil - a little variation. Sometimes I will dice them in throw them in a salsa-like topping for chicken, too.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Few observations:

- avocados are unusual in that they are one of few fruits that ripen only after being picked off the tree. Instead of their sweetness developing as they ripen, their fat content is what develops - that is, they increase fat content as they ripen.

- when ripe, avocados easily bruise. the best advice is to purchase them while still very firm and allow to ripen undisturbed at room temp (NEVER refrigerated) and to speed up the process, you can place in a paper bag.

- I personally enjoy avocados with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of lemon/lime. I also think they pair excellently with shrimp, crab and lobster. You can make a "creamy" salad dressing with no mayo or cream by purreing in some avocado into a vinaigrette - olive oil, lemon/vinegar, salt and pepper and herbs of choice along with avocado. (you may have heard of this as "Green Goddess"). A "pico de gallo" with added avocados sounds great as well, yet if too ripe, it will be hard for it to keep its shape.

- Although I have never heated avocados in any preparations, Howard Hillman's book "The New Kitchen Science" states:

"When heated, avocados undergo a chemical reaction that produces unwanted, bitter-tasting compounds which is why you seldom see hot avocado dishes on a menu or canned avocado products on supermarket shelves."
Old 10-11-2006, 03:59 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Andy - the most sublime avocado I've ever had is the tempura.

You will need some lime juice to prevent browning while you work.

As many avocados as you want.
Tempura batter (homemade or from a package)
a tube of Wasabi paste or two depending . . . . .
oil for deep frying

Cut the avocados into chunks and sprinkle them with lime juice if you are going to be cutting a lot of them. Squirt wasabi paste on the avocado - to your taste (but don't skimp). Using 2 forks dip the avacado chunks carefully into the tempura batter and then into the hot oil. Cook until pale golden brown. Drain on paper towels and serve.

Tags
None