Avocado Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seven S said:
...Howard Hillman's book "The New Kitchen Science" states:

"When heated, avocados undergo a chemical reaction that produces unwanted, bitter-tasting compounds which is why you seldom see hot avocado dishes on a menu or canned avocado products on supermarket shelves."

Seven:

Thanks for the info. That could explain the lack of recipes.

BTW, the book didn't get great reviews in the link you provided.

Andy M. said:
Seven:

Thanks for the info. That could explain the lack of recipes.

BTW, the book didn't get great reviews in the link you provided.
yeah, i know about the reviews. "the new" version of the book is a revised updated copy of the original book Howard Hillman published in the early 80s... the reviews for that edition has four out of five stars (go figure, essentially the same book). I personally have "the new" edition (2003) and found it to be quite a interesting reference book to keep in my arsenal, along with numerous others. I have found that even Harold McGees "On Food & Cooking" has scientific errors in it so one must have several sources.

Last edited:
Gretchen:
When I eventually work out how to post photos of the avocadoes I have bought over the past month, I'll post them here ( computer-brainless-participant, here!!!) .
None of them is a Haas - that's what I used to get in England.

They might be "Florida" avocadoes ( it's not too far from Venezuela to Miami!), although who knows if they originated in Florida, in Bucaramanga, in the Dominican Republic or in Venezuela?

I think several of the "varieties" are very much local products.
Time for some serious studies!

I've had avocados in hot dishes and didn't detect any bitterness. The tempura'd avocados are absolutely lush. The only warning I can give is that they are addicting so you want to have help eating them!!!!:LOL::LOL:

I am going to have to try making those, Harborwitch!!! They sound heavenly!!!!! I have had avocados in hot dishes also that did not taste bitter also. One way is to mix with freshly cooked (and cut off the cob) corn, add the diced avocados, halved cherry tomatoes and either fresh lime or lemon juice. Mix altogether and serve. Taste really good!! The avocados trun creamy if you don't let the corn cool too much.

The Avocado Tempura was wonderful. I ate them til I couldn't have another bite. :sick:

My mistake was making them when I was alone. I couldn't let them go to waste. :pig:

Last edited:
Testicles Anyone??

More tidbits on Avocados:

- Was first eaten by the Aztecs long before the arrival of the Spanish. In fact, the avocado is a New World fruit -- its name comes from the Nahuatl language ahuacatl ("testicle")--that has been cultivated for 7,000 years.
http://www.sallys-place.com/food/columns/ferray_fiszer/avocados.htm

-
Ahuacuatl is the Aztec word for testicle tree. No doubt, the name arose because of the way the fruit of the tree hung in pairs reminding those ancient people of human male anatomy. Over many centuries the avocado has maintained its reputation as an aphrodisiac. During the1920's a promotional advertising campaign was launched in the United States to deny that the avocado had aphrodisiac powers. The intent of the advertising agency was to convince people of the aphrodisiac quality by denying it. The campaign succeeded.
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/avocado.html

- Though the avocado is calorie dense, (one-half cup pureed flesh contains 204 calories), the benefits outweigh the concern over its total fat content of 19.9 grams. Health Benefits Recently avocados have been recognized as a good source of two beneficial compounds: beta-sitosterol and glutathione. Beta-sitosterol is a widely prescribed anti-cholesterol drug that interferes with cholesterol absorption, thus promoting lower cholesterol levels. Although it has numerous benefits, the avocado should be eaten in moderation because of its high fat content. Unripe avocados are said to be toxic. The leaves of some avocado varieties are also considered toxic.

----------------------------------------------------------

I did some more research on the application of heat unto avocados and found out that it is extensive heat that causes the bitter compounds. So it seems to be common practice in recipes such as soup, that the heating take place to "warm through" rather than "to cook" and would be kind of like when we add egg yolks for thickening soup/sauce or yogurt where we do not let the mixture come to a boil. Deep frying them in batter/tempura makes sense since the coating protects the avoocado flesh. Just do not use it in your crockpot for stew and you should be ok.

- If cooking with avocado, add it at the last minute. Extensive cooking destroys the flavor and often turns avocados bitter. Best eaten uncooked.
http://www.sallys-place.com/food/columns/ferray_fiszer/avocados.htm

- Use gentle heat when including avocados in cooked dishes, adding them to hot foods at the last minute. Prolonged or high heat cooking gives avocados a bitter taste.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HE606

- Avocados are at their best when used raw or very lightly cooked. Extended cooking can reduce their flavor and/or make them bitter.
http://www.foodreference.com/html/art-avocado-fotc.html

- Avocados are usually eaten raw because the tannins they contain result in a bitter flavor when cooked over high heat.

Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed from the other half, pour a good amount of balsamic (can also be reduced slightly) in the hole and with a spoon, get a little avocado and a little bit of balsamic in each bite - YUM!

I'm glad someone added that it was only extensive heat that makes avocados bitter. Though I'm not really a fan of them myself, I have tackled avocados quite a bit for my love of mexican cuisine. I have to say I prefer them served fresh rather than warmed. Another thing I have experienced is that the avocados can also get rubbery when overcooked.

Bacon and Avocado Muffins.....:) , wonderful!
Avocado mayonnaise with EVERYTHING....sigh....:rolleyes:
Roasted Tomato, Bacon, Corn Fritters and Avocado with Sweet Chilli Sauce for brunch...... swoon...:chef:
Crabcakes with Avo/Wasabi Mayo....to die for.:)

I have GOT to try the hot Tempura and Wasabi Avocado.:) :)

(Been meaning to!!) :angel:

Haas are the best. Wish I could get them more often ...

Avocados in general are way up high on "Ayrton's list of fattening foods she can't resist". I know what you mean about the spots and streaks inside -- always very disappointing, especially if you've paid a princely sum for them.

No, I haven't found a way to predict an "off" interior either. I know to buy them (if I want to eat right away) when they "give" slightly under finger pressure, but sometimes that yields a flawless light green interior and sometimes it yields a green and brown/black interior with stringy bits :sick:. Personally, I throw out any part that isn't a nice, smooth, even green.

Clive, I think you're describing local varieties since I've never seen anything even close to yellow here (which would mean sourced from Africa, Crete, or Israel) or in California where they're native. Do take photos -- getting them to post isn't hard (shout if you need help).

Ways to eat them? Okay, my favorites:

-- in an omelette, preferably cheese, sauteed onion, mushroom, and avocado
-- in a burrito, especially with grilled chicken
-- in a cheese sandwich: good sharp cheddar, mayo, avocado, pepper
-- in green salads
-- smushed on Stoned Wheat Thins with salt and coarsly-ground pepper
-- in my VERY favorite sandwich: chicken salad with cumin on soft dill rye!

Ayrton said:
...Ways to eat them? Okay, my favorites:

-- in an omelette, preferably cheese, sauteed onion, mushroom, and avocado
-- in a burrito, especially with grilled chicken
-- in a cheese sandwich: good sharp cheddar, mayo, avocado, pepper
-- in green salads
-- smushed on Stoned Wheat Thins with salt and coarsly-ground pepper
-- in my VERY favorite sandwich: chicken salad with cumin on soft dill rye!

Don't forget them in quesadillas with chic.ken and cheese.

Hello Daisy

Those receipes look so interesting, and unusual, that i must try them.

Mel

Andy, I just came into this forum to ask the same question you did about the brown/black streaks. Like you and Jenny, I've been striking out in selecting avos lately, even if they seem perfect on the outside. What surprised me is that I just read somewhere that this is avo season!:( I find they taste much more bitter than when they're not streaked. I grumble and then pitch them.

Lots of great ideas here! I like mashing mine up and using it in place of mayo on a sandwich or adding it to our fish fajitas.

One of our major supermarket chains is advertising avos from Chile. I'll try again.

An avo website I visited showed a calendar indicating that avos are available year around. When they are in season from Chile, they are not in season from California. And teh reverse is true the rest of the year.

i've tried this

I'm a total avocado addict and came across this recipe a couple years ago. It's sorta "out there," but I'm not shy so I rushed out for the ingredients and then blended away:

Avocado & Apple Smoothie
1/2 ripe avocado
1 granny smith apple
1/2 cup apple juice or cider
Handful of ice cubes
1/2 lime, squeezed

Blend the ingredients and serve. It's pretty creamy and the avocado isn't overpowering at all. Sounds weird, but add a mint sprig garnish and you'd think you were at a spa!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom