"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 10-11-2006, 04:15 PM   #21
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S
...Howard Hillman's book "The New Kitchen Science" states:

"When heated, avocados undergo a chemical reaction that produces unwanted, bitter-tasting compounds which is why you seldom see hot avocado dishes on a menu or canned avocado products on supermarket shelves."

Seven:

Thanks for the info. That could explain the lack of recipes.

BTW, the book didn't get great reviews in the link you provided.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Seven:

Thanks for the info. That could explain the lack of recipes.

BTW, the book didn't get great reviews in the link you provided.
yeah, i know about the reviews. "the new" version of the book is a revised updated copy of the original book Howard Hillman published in the early 80s... the reviews for that edition has four out of five stars (go figure, essentially the same book). I personally have "the new" edition (2003) and found it to be quite a interesting reference book to keep in my arsenal, along with numerous others. I have found that even Harold McGees "On Food & Cooking" has scientific errors in it so one must have several sources.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #23
Certified Pretend Chef

That's a good point.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:30 PM   #24
Sous Chef

Gretchen:
When I eventually work out how to post photos of the avocadoes I have bought over the past month, I'll post them here ( computer-brainless-participant, here!!!) .
None of them is a Haas - that's what I used to get in England.

They might be "Florida" avocadoes ( it's not too far from Venezuela to Miami!), although who knows if they originated in Florida, in Bucaramanga, in the Dominican Republic or in Venezuela?

I think several of the "varieties" are very much local products.
Time for some serious studies!
Old 10-11-2006, 08:46 PM   #25
Sous Chef

I've had avocados in hot dishes and didn't detect any bitterness. The tempura'd avocados are absolutely lush. The only warning I can give is that they are addicting so you want to have help eating them!!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:08 PM   #26
Head Chef

I am going to have to try making those, Harborwitch!!! They sound heavenly!!!!! I have had avocados in hot dishes also that did not taste bitter also. One way is to mix with freshly cooked (and cut off the cob) corn, add the diced avocados, halved cherry tomatoes and either fresh lime or lemon juice. Mix altogether and serve. Taste really good!! The avocados trun creamy if you don't let the corn cool too much.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #27
Executive Chef

The Avocado Tempura was wonderful. I ate them til I couldn't have another bite.

My mistake was making them when I was alone. I couldn't let them go to waste.
Old 10-11-2006, 10:22 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Testicles Anyone??

More tidbits on Avocados:

- Was first eaten by the Aztecs long before the arrival of the Spanish. In fact, the avocado is a New World fruit -- its name comes from the Nahuatl language ahuacatl ("testicle")--that has been cultivated for 7,000 years.
http://www.sallys-place.com/food/columns/ferray_fiszer/avocados.htm

-
Ahuacuatl is the Aztec word for testicle tree. No doubt, the name arose because of the way the fruit of the tree hung in pairs reminding those ancient people of human male anatomy. Over many centuries the avocado has maintained its reputation as an aphrodisiac. During the1920's a promotional advertising campaign was launched in the United States to deny that the avocado had aphrodisiac powers. The intent of the advertising agency was to convince people of the aphrodisiac quality by denying it. The campaign succeeded.
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/avocado.html

- Though the avocado is calorie dense, (one-half cup pureed flesh contains 204 calories), the benefits outweigh the concern over its total fat content of 19.9 grams. Health Benefits Recently avocados have been recognized as a good source of two beneficial compounds: beta-sitosterol and glutathione. Beta-sitosterol is a widely prescribed anti-cholesterol drug that interferes with cholesterol absorption, thus promoting lower cholesterol levels. Although it has numerous benefits, the avocado should be eaten in moderation because of its high fat content. Unripe avocados are said to be toxic. The leaves of some avocado varieties are also considered toxic.

----------------------------------------------------------

I did some more research on the application of heat unto avocados and found out that it is extensive heat that causes the bitter compounds. So it seems to be common practice in recipes such as soup, that the heating take place to "warm through" rather than "to cook" and would be kind of like when we add egg yolks for thickening soup/sauce or yogurt where we do not let the mixture come to a boil. Deep frying them in batter/tempura makes sense since the coating protects the avoocado flesh. Just do not use it in your crockpot for stew and you should be ok.

- If cooking with avocado, add it at the last minute. Extensive cooking destroys the flavor and often turns avocados bitter. Best eaten uncooked.
http://www.sallys-place.com/food/col...r/avocados.htm

- Use gentle heat when including avocados in cooked dishes, adding them to hot foods at the last minute. Prolonged or high heat cooking gives avocados a bitter taste.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/HE606

- Avocados are at their best when used raw or very lightly cooked. Extended cooking can reduce their flavor and/or make them bitter.
http://www.foodreference.com/html/art-avocado-fotc.html

- Avocados are usually eaten raw because the tannins they contain result in a bitter flavor when cooked over high heat.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:05 AM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Cut the avocado in half, remove the seed from the other half, pour a good amount of balsamic (can also be reduced slightly) in the hole and with a spoon, get a little avocado and a little bit of balsamic in each bite - YUM!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 12:16 AM   #30
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I'm glad someone added that it was only extensive heat that makes avocados bitter. Though I'm not really a fan of them myself, I have tackled avocados quite a bit for my love of mexican cuisine. I have to say I prefer them served fresh rather than warmed. Another thing I have experienced is that the avocados can also get rubbery when overcooked.

Tags
None