Avocado Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I noticed at the State Fair of Texas this year, deep fried avacados are all the rage! Well, they will pretty much deep fry anything at the fair.... even coke!!!

Found this site because of the first question. I also opened up an avocado that seemed perfect on the outside but was very brown, speckeled and stringy on the inside! Yuck! It's disheartening, because they are expensive.

Anyway, my favorite thing to do with avocados besides a good guacamole is to halve it, sprinkle it with one teaspoon soy sauce and sprinkle a little wasabi powder on top! It's lovely and since I'm pregnant and can't eat sushi, this reminds me of it, not to mention it's very healthy.

Curses on my nasty avocado today! :mad:

Lori

nsomniak6 said:
Found this site because of the first question. I also opened up an avocado that seemed perfect on the outside but was very brown, speckeled and stringy on the inside! Yuck! It's disheartening, because they are expensive.

Anyway, my favorite thing to do with avocados besides a good guacamole is to halve it, sprinkle it with one teaspoon soy sauce and sprinkle a little wasabi powder on top! It's lovely and since I'm pregnant and can't eat sushi, this reminds me of it, not to mention it's very healthy.

Curses on my nasty avocado today! :mad:

Lori

It is disheartening - congratulations - and I guess that means you can't have Lunesta! :LOL: Can you get your sushi fix with cooked seafoods and veggies?

Welcome to the site.

The only way I prepare avocado is by mashing it and adding fresh milk, sugar, salt, and ice. I make it thick and smooth or chunky depending on what I feel like. It's eaten with a spoon. Might seem strange to most of you here but in the Philippines where I grew up, avocado is always taken this way or turned into a fruit shake in a blender (with ice, sugar and more milk).

The avocado tempura sounds intriguing. Will try that. The avocado and yoghurt soup and Lynan's avocado mayonnaise sound good too. I wish the recipes can be posted though...

My favorite way to eat avocado is in sushi ^_^ I like to make sushi at home but I worry about handling raw fish myself, so I usually stick to a few easy ingredients: cooked shrimp, crab sticks, broiled eel (mmmm), lots of avocado and some cucumber for the crunch.

My second favorite way to eat an avocado: sliced in a bowl, with a nice fresh tomato cut into chunks, and a bit of lemon juice and salt. I'm not big on the mashed stuff, so I'd rather eat it this way : )

My friend in Brazil uses a ripe avocado + milk + sugar to make an avocado milk shake. Honestly, i never tried it.

Also, a friend from El Salvador showed me a great sandwich. Fresh keiser roll or Italian bread. Inside = sliced avocado, minced onion, salt, chopped hard boiled egg. simple, but actually tastes great.

larry

Harborwitch said:
I've had avocados in hot dishes and didn't detect any bitterness. The tempura'd avocados are absolutely lush. The only warning I can give is that they are addicting so you want to have help eating them!!!!:LOL::LOL:

I made the mistake of trying this when I was home alone. omg, I ate almost a whole avocado. I cut it in about 1.5" pieces, squeezed a big glob of wasabi on it, dipped it in tempura and ate until I couldn't hold one more bite. Sooooo, good!

No bitterness here, either.

One of the cool discoveries I have made is the fact that the eclectic combination of avocados from tropics and speck from the alps goes wonderfully together.
One of my favourite ways to enjoy them... lightly toast a piadina (or pita or flour tortilla will do as well), spread some robiola or stracchino, dress with sliced avocados and shaved speck, makes a wonderful panino for tasty snack/light meal!!:)

Ayrton said:
Haas are the best. Wish I could get them more often ...

Avocados in general are way up high on "Ayrton's list of fattening foods she can't resist". I know what you mean about the spots and streaks inside -- always very disappointing, especially if you've paid a princely sum for them.

No, I haven't found a way to predict an "off" interior either. I know to buy them (if I want to eat right away) when they "give" slightly under finger pressure, but sometimes that yields a flawless light green interior and sometimes it yields a green and brown/black interior with stringy bits :sick:. Personally, I throw out any part that isn't a nice, smooth, even green.

Clive, I think you're describing local varieties since I've never seen anything even close to yellow here (which would mean sourced from Africa, Crete, or Israel) or in California where they're native. Do take photos -- getting them to post isn't hard (shout if you need help).

Ways to eat them? Okay, my favorites:

-- in an omelette, preferably cheese, sauteed onion, mushroom, and avocado
-- in a burrito, especially with grilled chicken
-- in a cheese sandwich: good sharp cheddar, mayo, avocado, pepper
-- in green salads
-- smushed on Stoned Wheat Thins with salt and coarsly-ground pepper
-- in my VERY favorite sandwich: chicken salad with cumin on soft dill rye!

It's amazing to me how close California and Greek cuisine is in this respect, you pretty much hit the nail on the head with the top way's they are enjoyed here!

My 2 most favorite ways of enjoying avocados is 1) guacamole - which I can eat an entire bowl full by myself as a lunch dish - lol!!, & 2) just halving one & filling the halved cavity with some salad dressing - any type will do - & just consuming it like that.

urmaniac13 said:
One of the cool discoveries I have made is the fact that the eclectic combination of avocados from tropics and speck from the alps goes wonderfully together.
One of my favourite ways to enjoy them... lightly toast a piadina (or pita or flour tortilla will do as well), spread some robiola or stracchino, dress with sliced avocados and shaved speck, makes a wonderful panino for tasty snack/light meal!!:)
Now you've done it:LOL: I've had speck twice and adore it and making a paninni with it and avocado has me drooling all over myself:pig: Now I have to give in and run to Trader Joe's...
kadesma

Oh shucks, CJ!! A friend of mine just left for Trentino for the new year celebration just this afternoon... we asked him to bring back some keiser speck, if I had known I could have asked another for you too!!;)

I just couldn't leave this topic without typing a few words

I live on the california central coast where Haas Avocados are grown. Right now it's sort of the off season and most of the avocados you find in the stores are from Chile.

The "Chile" avocados just don't have that buttery flavor, and are really hit and miss when it comes to how they are going to look on the inside. You can pick one in the store that seems perfect but still you get the black striped, stringy interior. Something about the shipping method really screws 'em up.. I'm sure they taste better in Chile.

Wait until mid summer for the best avocados.

Were talking about one of my favorite foods here and something that I eat almost daily in the summer time. Despite my bodybuilding backround my favorite way to eat this bad boys is to cut 'em half and add a big spoonfull of mayonaise.

Also try them with cream cheese and lemon for an amazing dip.

Back
Top Bottom