"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 10-21-2006, 01:05 PM   #41
Master Chef

I noticed at the State Fair of Texas this year, deep fried avacados are all the rage! Well, they will pretty much deep fry anything at the fair.... even coke!!!

Old 10-21-2006, 02:18 PM   #42
Executive Chef

Blech. I don't like warm avocados. I don't think I'd go for the deep fried version.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:24 PM   #43
Assistant Cook

Found this site because of the first question. I also opened up an avocado that seemed perfect on the outside but was very brown, speckeled and stringy on the inside! Yuck! It's disheartening, because they are expensive.

Anyway, my favorite thing to do with avocados besides a good guacamole is to halve it, sprinkle it with one teaspoon soy sauce and sprinkle a little wasabi powder on top! It's lovely and since I'm pregnant and can't eat sushi, this reminds me of it, not to mention it's very healthy.

Curses on my nasty avocado today!

Lori
Old 10-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsomniak6
Found this site because of the first question. I also opened up an avocado that seemed perfect on the outside but was very brown, speckeled and stringy on the inside! Yuck! It's disheartening, because they are expensive.

Anyway, my favorite thing to do with avocados besides a good guacamole is to halve it, sprinkle it with one teaspoon soy sauce and sprinkle a little wasabi powder on top! It's lovely and since I'm pregnant and can't eat sushi, this reminds me of it, not to mention it's very healthy.

Curses on my nasty avocado today!

Lori
It is disheartening - congratulations - and I guess that means you can't have Lunesta! Can you get your sushi fix with cooked seafoods and veggies?

Welcome to the site.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:46 AM   #45
Head Chef

The only way I prepare avocado is by mashing it and adding fresh milk, sugar, salt, and ice. I make it thick and smooth or chunky depending on what I feel like. It's eaten with a spoon. Might seem strange to most of you here but in the Philippines where I grew up, avocado is always taken this way or turned into a fruit shake in a blender (with ice, sugar and more milk).

The avocado tempura sounds intriguing. Will try that. The avocado and yoghurt soup and Lynan's avocado mayonnaise sound good too. I wish the recipes can be posted though...
Old 10-25-2006, 04:40 AM   #46
Senior Cook

My favorite way to eat avocado is in sushi ^_^ I like to make sushi at home but I worry about handling raw fish myself, so I usually stick to a few easy ingredients: cooked shrimp, crab sticks, broiled eel (mmmm), lots of avocado and some cucumber for the crunch.

My second favorite way to eat an avocado: sliced in a bowl, with a nice fresh tomato cut into chunks, and a bit of lemon juice and salt. I'm not big on the mashed stuff, so I'd rather eat it this way : )
Old 12-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #47
Head Chef

My friend in Brazil uses a ripe avocado + milk + sugar to make an avocado milk shake. Honestly, i never tried it.

Also, a friend from El Salvador showed me a great sandwich. Fresh keiser roll or Italian bread. Inside = sliced avocado, minced onion, salt, chopped hard boiled egg. simple, but actually tastes great.

larry
Old 12-29-2006, 11:14 AM   #48
Sous Chef

Mash avocados, add a pinch of salt and eat just as it is.Aesthetically, hair treatment, facials, but then again this is a cooking forum!
Old 12-29-2006, 11:28 AM   #49
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harborwitch
I've had avocados in hot dishes and didn't detect any bitterness. The tempura'd avocados are absolutely lush. The only warning I can give is that they are addicting so you want to have help eating them!!!!
I made the mistake of trying this when I was home alone. omg, I ate almost a whole avocado. I cut it in about 1.5" pieces, squeezed a big glob of wasabi on it, dipped it in tempura and ate until I couldn't hold one more bite. Sooooo, good!

No bitterness here, either.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #50
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
One of the cool discoveries I have made is the fact that the eclectic combination of avocados from tropics and speck from the alps goes wonderfully together.
One of my favourite ways to enjoy them... lightly toast a piadina (or pita or flour tortilla will do as well), spread some robiola or stracchino, dress with sliced avocados and shaved speck, makes a wonderful panino for tasty snack/light meal!!

Tags
None