"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fruit & Nuts

Old 10-10-2006, 05:26 PM   #1
Certified Pretend Chef

Avocado Questions

I bought a couple of Haas avocados over the weekend as I wanted to experiment a little and try something new - avocados are fairly new to me.

I selected them carefully so they would be ready in a couple of days. Today they were a nice dark color and firm to the touch but just a little soft when pressed with a fingertip. I cut one open for lunch to find the interior had scattered black or brown streaks and spots throughout. Cutting open the second one, I found the same. First question - a two parter - Are these marks a sign of rot or spoilage and how can you tell from the outside if they are there (basic selection criteria)?

Second question: I searched several sites for avocado recipes, including here and a couple of avocado sites and my usual haunts. I found a lot of recipes where the avocado in the recipe was either sliced on top of the finished product or in some kind of guacamole variation added on for presentation. What I was looking for was recipes where avocados were an ingredient that was cooked as part of a recipe. Does that exist?

I would appreciate any help from the avocado experts in the group.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:28 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

They are not usually cooked. Used raw as a garnish. The specks are not great but doesn't make the avocado inedible. Better that they don't have them but it isn't anything you have done.

Old 10-10-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Funny you should bring up a question about avocados. My market had a special on them the other day 2 for $1. I was in the mood for guacamole, so I bought a pair. We had the guacamole with chips last night at cocktail time. It was great if I do say so myself. It was a recipe I just threw together.

I will tell you that, if you plan to use the avocado as a sliced garnish, etc., you should dip in lemon juice first. Avocados will discolor when hit with a good dose of oxygen.

I use diced avocado in tossed salads, as well in seafood salads. I like it very simply served by cutting it in half, removing the pit and topped with a little salt and sour cream.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #4
Master Chef

Andy,

I have had the same problem with Hass avacados here for a while now. They are hit or miss -- nice and blemish free or with lots of brown stuff inside.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

The supermarket was promoting them and I have seen a lot of ads on TV lately for Avos from Chile.

So, do you eat or toss the ones with the crud inside?

Daisy, those recipes look really interesting. I'll save them to try next time.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:53 PM   #6
Head Chef

Daisy, that avocado cake recipe looks very interesting!! Will have to try that, thank you!!

Andy, I will eat an avocado with some of the brown marks if they aren’t predominate. One thing I do with avocado slices/chuncks is use them to top some soups; adds that extra flavor to tomato or any spicy soup.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Executive Chef

AndyM
The sp[ots and streaks are not wanted it also gets stringy when its like that.I think something happens to them in the shipping I like to get them when they are still quite firm and let them ripen at room temp a few days or in a paper bag.When it is ripe it should be a nice green with no blemishes.Try it peeled with just a bit of salt and pepper.HEAVEN!Its great on sandwiches etc.
Old 10-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

I salvaged enough out of the ones I cut to put slices on a ham and cheese sandwich I had for lunch. It was a very good addition.

I really enjoy guacamole but want to expand my avocado horizons.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:52 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Avocadoes grow all over the place here.We have so many varieties, and it seems no-one has ever classified them. Well; perhaps that's a project for retirement!!
If the fruit have black spots, that means they were probably picked (very) unripe and allowed to mature, but they probably never made it. I buy avocadoes in the local Farmer's market under the following criteria ( local folklore - not mine!):

1) Ripe
The avocado skin is bright greenish-yellow, but will give easily if you press a finger onto it.
2) Ready tomorrow
The avocado skin is still more green than yellow, but you can just about feel it "give".
3) Ready in two (maybe three?) days
The fruit is green. Maybe a yellowish patch or two - firm to the touch, but not hard as a rock. Place in a brown bag and leave in a dark place ( NOT your safe deposit box...) for about 48 hours.

You could try making a " Ajiaco" - the most famous soup from Bogotá. Very, very basically it's a chicken and potato soup, topped with capers, avocado and a very particular colombian herb ( NO ! not that one!). It's also very tasty.

You could make a very light tomato sauce for pasta.Add some double cream,a little dill, then stir in a few slivers of smoked salmon. Just before serving, add some diced avocado.

To be absolutely honest, my favourite avocado recipe is:
half an avocado, sea salt, filled with extra-virgin olive oil, a bunch of shrimp, a little onion, lime juice, black pepper and a finely chopped fresh chile pepper ( Cayenne would hit the spot)

However, there's a friend of mine here somewhere who swears by Tempura Avocado - I think that sounds as decadently delicious as is possible!!
Old 10-10-2006, 10:31 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

clive, the avocados in question are Haas. They have a dark pebbly skin that is almost black when ripe.

Thanks to all of you for your expertise and suggestions.

Tags
None