Avocados - How Do You Prepare/Dishes You Like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When the kids were younger it was fun for them to put 3 toothpicks in the sides of the Pits, balance them over a glass of water and watch them root and grow. Pot them up in some dirt, and when the plant got too "leggy" they would start over again with new ones.

:yum:
Avocado tastes like mud to me. I don't get it... ::huh::

Split one in two, sprinkle some salt and paprika on it and spoon it as a snack.

One thing I heard is not to mix mayo with avocado ( the mayo mutes the avo flavor), rather, use salad spread if you must.

I'm not crazy about salad spread and don't stock it in my fridge.

Also, avocado mashed up on roast beef sandwiches. Some swiss cheese maybe. Yummy USA style.

Roast beef and avocado on a roll. Mexican roast beef tortas. Super delicious.

Last edited:
Cerise: Avocado Suggestions

Good idea for a thread and thank you for all your contributions.

Here are some of the ways we have avocado:

1) In an Aztec volcanic stone Molcajete, or Mortar in English, with a stone Pestle, which I purchased in Jalisco, Guadalajara, I prepare Guacamole.

2) Avocado Pesto for a dollop garnish on top of Gazpacho.

3) Snack: Hass Mexican wrinkled black ripe Avocado slices drizzled with lime and wrapped in Proscuitto di Parma or Iberian black foot acorn fed Huelva, Iberian Ham ... drizzled with Evoo and Modena Balsamic Vinegar.

4) Mango, red onion, fresh cilantro, serrano pepper, a sprinkling of red chili pepper dried, and Avocado diced, for a salsa with grilled or broiled fish and a drizzle of Lime.

6) Shrimp or Lobster Salad stuffed in avocado halves ...

Andy: The Aruba Island crab & lobster salad sounds divine ...

Thanks for all your contributions and ideas,
Ciao, Have nice August, Margaux.

I hate avocado, hate the taste, hate the texture, but do love guacomole, that is the only thing I make with it and I have Mexican friends that love it, they say that my guacomole is better than some from the original source.

...Hass Mexican wrinkled black ripe Avocado
One minor point of contention: Hass avocados originated in California, not Mexico.

I love avocados, but don't buy them often because I'm the only one in the house who will eat them. Other than guacamole, I like them on salads with a little lime juice squeezed over the top, or paired with scrambled eggs.

Last edited:
We need a "like" button here! All of the dishes described here sound divine. Did you know...if you make a salad with avo in it, leave the pit (pip?) in the bowl until serving and this will prevent the avo from going brown.

Some avocado dishes I like:

BLT & avocado on toasted whole wheat or wrapped in a flour tortilla

Bruschetta/crostini topped with:

Diced avocado & drizzled with chimichurri sauce
Pico de gallo (w/ hearts of palm)
Mashed w/ lemon or lime juice, topped w/ halved cherry or grape tomatoes, & diced or minced red or white onion

Avocado deviled eggs (topped w/ tail-on shrimp)

Fish tacos w/ sliced avocado, & fresh diced deseeded tomatoes

Crab/avocado cakes

Tomato, avocado salad w/ fresh mozzarella

(Dave Lieberman's) Avocado salad with Lime (mustard) dressing:
Boston Lettuce Avocado Salad and Lime Dressing Recipe : Dave Lieberman : Recipes : Food Network

(Turkey) burgers with sliced avocado, tomatoes & bacon

Last edited:
I like avokado served with roasted goat meat.
Once I baked goat meat pizza and had some slices of avokado i served to the kids before,, so i tried it with the pizza.
it was somehing very very tasty,

since then when i bake goat meat, avocado is always on the table.

Re dip, I like avocado crab dip (with a secret ingedient ;-) soy sauce).

Last edited:
I am waiting for the upcoming battle! The first one started last year when a group of squirrels discovered our avacado tree. They really don't like getting hit with plastic pellets from the CO2 pistol I bought for running them off!

There are several Thai curry dishes that have avacado in them which are great. We like them in many recipes and just by themselves with lime and salt. There are several varieties that will grow here, but the Hass will not.:(

Last edited:
Cerise,

There are numerous recipes for Peruvian or Mexican Ceviche which could employ Avocado ...

Have a lovely evening.
Margaux.

Perhaps you could share one of yours.

Salmon & avocado (salad etc.) is another favorite.

Verrines of layered avocado, crab, feta, tomates... give it your own twist.

kimmo said:
We need a "like" button here! All of the dishes described here sound divine. Did you know...if you make a salad with avo in it, leave the pit (pip?) in the bowl until serving and this will prevent the avo from going brown.

The browning is from oxidation. A squirt of lemon juice will help prevent it :)

Cerise,

I shall be more than pleased to give you a Peruvian ceviche & avocado recipe. I had posted one with sweet potato & corn kernels from cob, with Nori Algae. This one is called: Chef Gastón Acurió´s Ceviche in the Appetiser Section.

I shall take a look at my Ceviche recipes this evening as it is already 8.15pm here.

Tomorrow morning, I shall post it.

Kind regards.
Margi.

The browning is from oxidation. A squirt of lemon juice will help prevent it :)
Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) works great, too. I stumbled across this quite by accident several years ago while making a batch of guacamole for a party. As it turned out I didn't have any limes in the fridge, so I stirred in a teaspoon of ascorbic acid (I have it on hand for winemaking, as it also prevents grape juice from turning brown).

It kept the guacamole green for days. So now it's part of my recipe.

Same with lime juice, after making guacomole I sprincle lime juice on the top. And mix it in only imidiately before serving, guacomole stays perfectly green, no dark spots at all.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom